ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #751
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
I will talk to the Mrs to see what she thinks, but dont count on it. The last time I went for a ride I came home a nervous wreck and didnt do anything but street! Ok, so some was gravel street but still....
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:32 AM   #752
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,877
well, I had to get a new rear tire yesterday.
I wanted a fairly agressive tire, that was somewhat road worthy.

I ran off to Currie Honda / Suzuki.They always get a kick out of my "I am here for the bike pr0n"..... They still have :
'06 / '07
XRL
DRZSM
DRZ
DR650
DRZ400E

I bet the deal is gonna be fantastic for whomever buys one.
One of the guys is selling his '06 XRL ...cheap
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296932
Nice bike package at 4 Grand!!!

Anyways, back to the tire ....
I was gonna buy an IRC they had, it had about 2" of dust on it... 4.00-18
but it was not as aggressive as I wanted..
So I picked up a Kenda K778 Enduro....
Very aggressive..

I asked for an 18" tube to go home with me too, then said, Nah... I have two or three already....

I rode home, got the camera so I can post the XRL in the Flea Market... never know I might get a bit of commision , and some bungees to strap the tire on the DR.
I get home prop the DR on a 5gal paint bucket, and start wrenching.
30 minutes later I am pumping up the tire....... ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
SHit! I musta punchured the tube.
No problem, I'll grab the other one.
GONE.... MIA..... well, I'll break down the old XT wheel ( I need to do it anyways, as I need to ship them out on Monday/ Tues / Wed. if USPS is Open), break it down, break down the Kenda, swap tubes, start pumping..
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. ...

SOB!!! well it is now a 2.5 hour ordeal, its 530pm, no prob. I'll get the nephew to run me up to get a patch kit or some slime.
Not home.
630pm... still not home....

730pm still not home......

830 still not home.... shit I coulda pedealed my ass to AutoZone by now and back AND fixed the tube....

930pm... fuck it .. I figure it out in the AM...

I wake up at 0530 for some unknown reason, So I guess I will slap a 21" tube in there to get me to a 18" tube abd do the process all over again!

DAMNIT I want to ride , not work today!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #753
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,319
TT,
Need a ride. all you have to do is ask. I always like window shopping at Currie. Give me a ring. I have to go out and get the Blazer inspected today anyways.

RH
Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #754
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
TT,
Need a ride. all you have to do is ask. I always like window shopping at Currie. Give me a ring. I have to go out and get the Blazer inspected today anyways.

RH
Thanx, but that would be a bit counter productive... 45 min drive for a 10 minute lift, then another 45 min ride home.... but that is a hell of an offer!

I was gona try a bottle of slime, for a pinhole nontheless..... people DO NOT waiste your time, the stuff SUX! didn't work woth a shit on either tube..

I am off to go get an 18" tube and do it .... yet... AGAIN....

then I am gonna go sling some DIRT!!!

by noon I should be on the trail... any takers?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #755
truck6driver
The Fireman

I was just looking for a good reason to get out of the house for a while. It seemed like a plus to help a fellow ADV Rider.

As for tires you should look in to these:

Tera - Flex

The most aggressive DOT approved motorcycle tire made. I have seen these in action, absolutly awsome in the dirt. So So on the street.

Ray
Old 12-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #756
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

thanx, I'll keep those in mind when this one wears out...

Ride Report...

TT=0
Oak Stump=1

Damage, one very crushed tail box!
I need to find a nice hard plastic one.....
Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #757
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oak stump huh? OK how did you hit the tail box with a stump? I could see the tire, rim, pegs or something on the bottom but the box was on the top of the fender right? There has to be a story to this one.

I was going to post a pic of the kids and I on the buggy today but it will not let me post the pic. Said it was too big.

Huh, I've not been told that what I had was too big before!
So how do you get pics to post here?

Ray
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #758
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
Oak stump huh? OK how did you hit the tail box with a stump? I could see the tire, rim, pegs or something on the bottom but the box was on the top of the fender right? There has to be a story to this one.

I was going to post a pic of the kids and I on the buggy today but it will not let me post the pic. Said it was too big.

Huh, I've not been told that what I had was too big before!
So how do you get pics to post here?

Ray
Open an account at Photobucket.com for freebee
or Smugmug for a small fee (SmugMug IS ADVrider.com)

Ok the story on the tail box....

On the next to last section of the west end of the trail, they are doing some clearing. they plowed a chunk of earth out to get to the other side of the ditch.
I had to go around it.... muddy, small to large logs all over the place.
Made it going west. On the return ride .... well......
I slide right, I slide left, I slung mud all over the place, I slide back right.....]
BAM! front wheel hit a HUGE log..... I tried to goose it and wheelie over it...

no workie. ass end slid around and caught a small tree. I went left the bike went right. Landed the box right on the stump... crushed the freaking box...
well the right rear of the box is pretty smashed up. Still closes....

I wonder where I can find a 10" (w) x 5"(H) 8" (D).
pref. plastic or similar.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #759
truck6driver
The Fireman

I run the nylon/canvas bags. If you hit something with them they don't break. I found that the bicycle fender bags fit well and are much cheaper to buy. I have one left. I sold the XR with one on it. I had made attaching it easy and ran one on the rear all the time and could put a matching one on the front for long trips. You might want to look on line for a rack to fit the DR350. I think the one for the 650 might work with modifications.
While I on the subject of DR stuff, you need to go to www.kientech.com. This guy only has parts and services for the DR line. I have heard nothing but good things about this site. They say if Suzuki made it for the DR this guy perfected it.
The get off you had today, are you OK? Sounds like you were riding alone. I am hoping to pick up the TTR to work on about the second week of Jan. I need to fix a few things since it has been sitting for a year. Then a shake down run or 6 before I take it to GA on Feb. 1st. It is sad when you have to use someone elses bike to get your fix. Damn!, when are my W-2's going to get here! Oh yea it's still 2007. Can you say E-FILE.

Hey are there any trails you ride that our mini buggy can go down? It is as wide as a large ATV. If so My son and I would bring it down just to ride some trails with you. It tops out around 35 since I changed the sprockets for better climbing. With the old 31 tooth sprocket I was clocked by SHP at 48mph. Good thing it handles like it's on rails, we had it in the garage before he got to us. After talking for about 30 minutes he took it for a ride around the block and left. It's nice to find an officer that still knows how to have fun.
Oh wait, he told me not to tell anyone, at least I did not use his name.

Ray
Old 12-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #760
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
I run the nylon/canvas bags. If you hit something with them they don't break. I found that the bicycle fender bags fit well and are much cheaper to buy. I have one left. I sold the XR with one on it. I had made attaching it easy and ran one on the rear all the time and could put a matching one on the front for long trips. You might want to look on line for a rack to fit the DR350. I think the one for the 650 might work with modifications.
While I on the subject of DR stuff, you need to go to www.kientech.com. This guy only has parts and services for the DR line. I have heard nothing but good things about this site. They say if Suzuki made it for the DR this guy perfected it.
The get off you had today, are you OK? Sounds like you were riding alone. I am hoping to pick up the TTR to work on about the second week of Jan. I need to fix a few things since it has been sitting for a year. Then a shake down run or 6 before I take it to GA on Feb. 1st. It is sad when you have to use someone elses bike to get your fix. Damn!, when are my W-2's going to get here! Oh yea it's still 2007. Can you say E-FILE.

Hey are there any trails you ride that our mini buggy can go down? It is as wide as a large ATV. If so My son and I would bring it down just to ride some trails with you. It tops out around 35 since I changed the sprockets for better climbing. With the old 31 tooth sprocket I was clocked by SHP at 48mph. Good thing it handles like it's on rails, we had it in the garage before he got to us. After talking for about 30 minutes he took it for a ride around the block and left. It's nice to find an officer that still knows how to have fun.
Oh wait, he told me not to tell anyone, at least I did not use his name.

Ray
LOL, I had to go to WallyWorld to get some battries fo da cam.. uh hummmm.. I had to make a trip to WalMart to buy some batteries for my camera, I spent an hour or so seeing what I might be able to use as a tail bag. Not much really, I pretty cool soft tackle box, but at $30, i'd just get a small Pelican.

As for Jesse over at Kientech.... he is the DR God! I have learned alot from him and his products... now if I can make some $ to buy some of them. I am not real big on the rear rack. One of these Days I am gonna talk BigMaggot into weldingme, or teaching me to weld a removeable top and sides type rack. I may want to ride this DR to Laredo....

The trail is wide enough for an F-250. I have seen all kinds of shit on that trail from side by side Kawis to Dressed out HDs... even DUI scoots!
Anytime you want to bring it down! You can park across the street from the trail head. I-95 / 74 junction. THe whoops might ge tiresome until you get to the West end or jump on the new I-74 ...
Old 12-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #761
truck6driver
The Fireman

Ok if you don't mind waiting for us since you like to run alot faster than we can run.

Ray
Old 12-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #762
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

This Sucks!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #763
truck6driver
The Fireman

It should clear up though. Look at the bright side, no dust.

Ray
Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #764
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
It should clear up though. Look at the bright side, no dust.

Ray
well I ma try and ride, but at 2 pm I wanna be watching the Baja 1000
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #765
truck6driver
The Fireman

You are looking at the sky huh!
I'm bored.
Just put the little girl to bed for a nap. Not much on the tube either. Just looking around the web.
What channel is the 1000 on. I have only watched it once and that was almost 2 decades ago when I had a spinal injury and had to lay in bed for 2 weeks. I need to find something to do before I go stir crazy.

Ray