ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #76
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Hey!

If ya see my post above, I was wanting a DS bike. I finally got a F650GS!

Time to get some milage on it and get to the beach!

Im in Whitsett, NC!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #77
rglee
Ride 'em, don't wash 'em!

Oddometer: 76
MotoMark ADV Course

Has anyone attended the MotoMark Adventure Bike course? These are the guys that run the test rides at the Raleigh and Greensboro BMW shops. They're out of Raleigh and run a couple of street oriented classes, a one day basic dirt riding class and the 2 day, 2 night ADV course. Kinda expensive - almost $500 for the ADV class. Next class not scheduled until Oct but will run a class with at least 4 students. A friend and I are interested but like to talk to someone that's been... and need 2 more to get a class.

Rick Lee in Fayetteville
rglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #78
Ron_NC
MidnightAdventureRider

Oddometer: 255
The class looks interesting. http://www.motomark1.com/index.htm
It would be nice to see a course outline.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #79
wegster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeFatale
Thanks for bumping this thread...didn't know it existed and I was just wondering who else might be in the area. I'm in N.Raleigh and have a F650ST.

Pretty much the noob...but always up for a ride on the weekend and connecting with others in the area for gear, road and maintenance stories.
I've got a classic F650 as well, which is a great bike, but a bit heavy off-road. Wouldn't mind a weekend ride now and then either..

Any chance anyone's set up a raleigh/NC riders list somewhere?
wegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #80
wegster
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglee
Has anyone attended the MotoMark Adventure Bike course? These are the guys that run the test rides at the Raleigh and Greensboro BMW shops. They're out of Raleigh and run a couple of street oriented classes, a one day basic dirt riding class and the 2 day, 2 night ADV course. Kinda expensive - almost $500 for the ADV class. Next class not scheduled until Oct but will run a class with at least 4 students. A friend and I are interested but like to talk to someone that's been... and need 2 more to get a class.

Rick Lee in Fayetteville
Did their basic off-road course a while back as a refresher, and as a first dirt experience for my girlfriend.. better than the MSF ERC, and AFAIK, they do the MSF 'dirt course' as well. Email communications with them can be a bit flaky..best to call for info if you have multiple questions.

I'm looking at probably doing their adv off-road (2 days) in October, although if they'd manage to do one sooner, I'd be up for it..

Wanted to do both the PM School and the advanced off-road.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #81
wegster
Adventurer

BTW, anyone up to check out ncmp either this upcoming sunday or the following weekend? Would love to go check out their trails..haven't been yet.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 AM   #82
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,751
We really gotta get a ride together with the peoples in this area. I find more every day. Any ideas for a day trip destination? Maybe start in the am, ride til lunch, eat then finish up around suppertime? In case you havnt noticed, I stink at planning
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #83
Ron_NC
MidnightAdventureRider

Oddometer: 255
I guess there is enough different terrain around here for everybody. Here is the stuff I've been doing that's fairly local to me.

1. Easy ride to Southport with optional beach ride (beach ride is short, but difficult).

2. 20 miles worth of sand trails in Lumberton (easy to medium, optional difficult stuff).

3. Rico and myself started exploring Sandhills game reserve last week and it seems easy to me.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #84
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_NC
I guess there is enough different terrain around here for everybody. Here is the stuff I've been doing that's fairly local to me.

1. Easy ride to Southport with optional beach ride (beach ride is short, but difficult).

2. 20 miles worth of sand trails in Lumberton (easy to medium, optional difficult stuff).

3. Rico and myself started exploring Sandhills game reserve last week and it seems easy to me.
Southport has a 4th of July Parade. I have been thinking about doing something then. My schedule is up in the air right now. I have my wifes class reunion prior to the 4th but it would be cool if something could be organized. I was thinking I have tent space for a couple folks if my schedule comes together.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #85
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_NC
Easy to you is hard for most;) Check out the avatar people lol!!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #86
STateIH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I'm new to ADVRider, just thought I'd say hi. I'm in the southwest (NCSU) Raleigh area. I've got a plated 2000 XR650R, in dualsport trim right now. I grew up riding dirt, and the plan is to SuMo the XRR for the road. I got the bike this spring, slowy working towards the expensive parts to convert. But I would be up for some riding of either type.

2006KLR650, if you work at Madern in Apex, I've seen the red KLR parked there sometimes.

STateIH screwed with this post 06-21-2007 at 07:16 PM
STateIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #87
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Where I worked in Apex the bike was sort of hidden. I only rode the bike last year, I actually had a company van to drive. The red KLR you see in Apex I think is the 05 red/black one. I am also no longer employed so I have no need to ride to Apex anymore. Shoot me a PM if you want to do a road ride anytime.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #88
sweetfeed
Boxher

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by rglee

Rick Lee in Fayetteville
I can't say enough about Mark Brown and the operation he runs. He's a class act and his primary focus is riding safely. Haven't taken his courses but have had private instruction...he's great! I know he was recently in Bogata, Columbia teaching their police force his techniques. He also heads "BikeSafe", a program implemented in London and put in practice here in North Carolina. Give him a call or email...he's a good guy to know.
sweetfeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #89
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Does anyone have any interest in a ride on 7/14/07? I would like to ride with a group of people, mostly a blacktop ride. Maybe meet somewhere central to everyone that would like to ride? Fayetteville maybe? Unless there is enough interest from the people in Raleigh, Durham and Johnston county riders. Whattya think??
Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #90
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,865
n00b, table for one. I don't think I can do the ride on the 14th, but love to meet y'all sometime.

Bill, Durham
1982 Suzuki GS650G
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote