ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #121
Snake in the Grass
aka CRITTER

Oddometer: 154
Wow, this is turning into a great thread.
Lets keep up the interest and perhaps plan a ride soon.

Mefo, runs like a Mofo

Snake in the Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #122
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,750
I wanted to go on a ride this weekend, the 14th, but looks like its a BAD weekend to plan anything. Maybe we can get something going around the beginning of August??
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #123
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Trukin',I'm up your way almost every Sunday at the Ponderosa shopping center .We have a club that races R/C cars in the parking lot there!You should stop by sometime,we have some good racin' goin on.Ask for Tommy G...............I'll try to put together a good long route down here with the "lunchhunt" thrown in.The riding in Scotland county and Marlboro county just to our south is pretty good,so many rural roads with few cagers trying to run you down makes for relaxed enjoyable rides.Like I said, I'll come up with a good route and when I,m done I'll let you guys know and if yall wanna give it a whirl,we'll set a date...............CapefearKeith,thanks for wellcoming me to the forum!
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #124
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Brothers from another mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearKeith
Are you and Flashback brothers from different mothers? Where did the cool n00bs come from?
Once upon a time there was a week without water, gas, or pavement in the desert sands north of black rock nevada on the same trusty 450 air cooled mid 80's kawasaki that had so faithfully carried me on her back through the 2000 miles of the AlCan and 12000 miles of Central American jungles from Baja to Guatemala and back.Surrounded by naught but mirages and treeless mountains, a certain freedom can be achieved which breathes the air of times long past.

Alas the poor little trustworthy bike that wouldn't break (and which I paid a mere $200 for plus only spent another $400 more on maintenance even though it couldn't do over 85) finally succumbed to rust incurred running the beaches of the northwest and towing surfers through the waves.

From there it was a downhill slide to the comforts of a way too expensive and way too maintenance intensive chrome covered custom painted cruiser (not going to say Harley but take a guess what kind of bike it was) which landed both the bike and myself out here in the Triangle. With the cruiser soon after buried in the same spot as the deer that crashed us both (and landed me in 3 months of physical therapy with one hell of a case of road rash and several badly broken bones) in the backwoods of Apex one summer eve, what could one do but steer back the course of the AdV on a bike more suited to midnight cruises through moonlit woodlands.

I had made up my mind that it was time to get a GS and enjoy the best of the road and the dirt on the same bike....and here we are.

Although I can't say that the wreck in Apex was as bad as the time I flew a van off a cliff in Oregon during a rain storm (and trashed 2 custom made irreplacable longboards in the process), it did scratch the ego something fierce due to the fact that I had no control over the circumstances of the accident and made me change my views on riding alone (which I always did prior without exception). Not that the sheer number of unchained and undisciplined dogs around here wouldn't have taken me there anyway, but now I prefer riding in groups and am hoping to start riding with some local folks.

Anyone have any suggestions on handling "Man"s best Friend" when they surround you in the bottoms around here? Not used to being so much of a target for dogs. I don't want to hurt the poor animals, but jeeze, I practically lost my leg 3 times last weekend to dog attacks on public dirt roads just outside city limits.
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #125
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006klr650
I wanted to go on a ride this weekend, the 14th, but looks like its a BAD weekend to plan anything. Maybe we can get something going around the beginning of August??
Hey,
How did that Tech Meeting go?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #126
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback
Anyone have any suggestions on handling "Man"s best Friend" when they surround you in the bottoms around here? Not used to being so much of a target for dogs. I don't want to hurt the poor animals, but jeeze, I practically lost my leg 3 times last weekend to dog attacks on public dirt roads just outside city limits.
Hey Flashback,

When I used to be a race cyclist, we trained by coursing through residential neighborhoods, where we'd occasionally get chased by dogs. We learned to keep a kid's squirt gun filled with full-strength ammonia in easy reach. When a dog came for us, just squirt the ground in front of them. Don't squirt the poor dog! Think ammonia smells bad to you? Think how it smells to a dog....

Never had a problem after that. Good luck!

I don't own a dual sport, I prefer to stick to pavement, but we should still plan an eastern NC ride sometime.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #127
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Hey Truckin' thumper,is it my poor memory,or did you change your location to Lumberton???I saw where there may be a xl-sisfiddy in your future,hope it works out for ya.I travel hiway 74 alot in the summer taking tobacco to market in Lumberton,some mornings I pass a guy on a drz400 heading toward Laurinburg,never have been able to slow him down to talk to him,do you know him?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #128
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
[QUOTE=Flashback]hoping to start riding with some local folks.QUOTE]

Flash, PM me when you wanna ride. I'm in NE Raleigh. I haven't had a lot of luck finding dirt roads in Wake County. Most are real short. I've got a complete set of County road maps for NC indicating those roads that are unpaved. We'll have to compare notes.
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:12 AM   #129
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothra
I just had a friend point me to this thread. I live in the Southport area (actually Boiling Spring Lakes) and am always looking for folks to ride with. Some good roads in the area as long as you like sand (especially with this years drought). I have not made it out to the beach at Fort fisher yet or Holly Shelter.
Mothra,

I sent you a PM. I'm in Southport. Let's get together and ride...Boiling Springs is pretty cool, I rode the railroad track access for a few miles.

Keith
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #130
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,750
Truckin,
I never made it to the tech day. I have got a breathing issue(similar to but not asthma) and the heat and humidity wasnt going to agree with me. Ron said the tech day went great and the ride afterwards was great.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #131
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Thumb Ridin'

Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #132
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006klr650
Truckin,
I never made it to the tech day. I have got a breathing issue(similar to but not asthma) and the heat and humidity wasnt going to agree with me. Ron said the tech day went great and the ride afterwards was great.
Sorry to hear that..
Thats alright, I know how it fels not being able to ride, my poor XT won't be ready until the weekend of the 21st :( parts on order.
But have a good outlook for that Sunday and Uhwarrie
Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #133
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMaggot
Hey Truckin' thumper,is it my poor memory,or did you change your location to Lumberton???I saw where there may be a xl-sisfiddy in your future,hope it works out for ya.I travel hiway 74 alot in the summer taking tobacco to market in Lumberton,some mornings I pass a guy on a drz400 heading toward Laurinburg,never have been able to slow him down to talk to him,do you know him?
Tobacco market is about 1/2 mile from my house!
I duuno about the DRZ, although I'd love to talk to him about that DRZ... thinkin' of flipping the XR selling the XT and buying one, but I want to find out how it does on the jumps / trails, and loooong rides, like to Deals.

Ima have to get up with all you guys!
Writing down phone numbers now
I feel a bit unsociable.

I do drive a truck (Over the road) but I am home a few weekends out of the month, and some dys duirng the week. Hell It varies to much I have a hard time commiting to meetings, prolly why I am still single
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #134
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

My hours get kinda funny sometimes too,but I do sleep at home every night!From what I read and me just sitting on a drz,100mi stints would be no problem I would think,but longer,I dunno.I thought long and hard dr or drz before buying,the old moto-cross racer in me was going drz,drz!,,looking in the mirror at my 48yr old butt,I was saying,dude the dr 650 with it's slow revving big motor sure would make things easy on ya! Sooooo,I brought home a 650 and it has been perfect for "me".Dual sport riders are cursed with decisions all the time,I almost pulled my hair out choosing tires this last time.If you see my profile,it says my dream bike would be a husky TE610e,but if I was really honest about it,I'm not sure it would be the "perfect" bike for "me".The big DR650 lets me play off-road racer for about 200yards{at which time I'm winded}then we go back to what it and myself do best,just riding and enjoying the veiw God provided for us!I've sent you a pm Trukin.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #135
feltze
R1150GS

Oddometer: 20
I'm in fayettville too.

Hey, I just found your thread, add me to your mailing list... feltze@yahoo.com incase youre keeping a list that is.

I just finished running 3100 miles in 8 days Fayettville west to the tail of the dragon then to texas and back.

Love that mountain driving. Some sundays we blast up to 15-501 at Michaels for breakfast always a fun ride.

Eric
feltze is offline   Reply With Quote