User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
Question SW Motech Quick-lock Rack

I'm looking for a rack and luggage system for my 2000 KTM LC4 Sixdays. I was wondering if anyone had mounted these racks on a 640 and how they worked. Ideally, I'd like to get the racks, then mount Pelican cases to them. Anybody tried this?

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Save yourself (and me!) money at SmugMug: Coupon code YE2eMDKcBDhGY
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
john pfeiffer
KTM Submarine Pilot

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by firerigger
I'm looking for a rack and luggage system for my 2000 KTM LC4 Sixdays. I was wondering if anyone had mounted these racks on a 640 and how they worked. Ideally, I'd like to get the racks, then mount Pelican cases to them. Anybody tried this?
I just mounted a set on my F650GS last week. Went on quick (1/2 hour). Once the main brackets are on, it takes about 10 seconds per side to take them off. Get the optional locking twist knobs for the top QD mount unless you don't leave the bike untended.

I mounted a pair of Pelican 1430's to the racks using a bunch of plastic caster wheels I had around (1"wide X 2 1/2" dia) to space them away from the mount plates (Pelicans won't mount flat) The 1430's are a few inches too small to look right, but the next size toploader (didn't want stuff falling when I opened them), is HUGE and has rollers on the bottom of each one. If you are getting side load cases, you should be able to get just the right size so that they look good. BTW, you'll need 1/4" X 2"-2 1/2" inch long bolts to mount the Pelicans.

I'll be tossing on a few Swissgear aluminum bottles and micro pelicans on the back of the 1430's to fill in space (there's a large open area inside the SW-Motech plates that the 1060 cases fit in - perfect for tools or first aid stuff).

Everything cost about $$350. Not awesome considering that I could have gotten the cheap Givi cases for the same cost of the Pelicans. The Pelicans' just LOOK like they belong on a Dualsport. Givi's make me look all sport-toury and the like. Bleh!
Sigillum Militum Χρisti
john pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pfeiffer
I just mounted a set on my F650GS last week. Went on quick (1/2 hour). Once the main brackets are on, it takes about 10 seconds per side to take them off. Get the optional locking twist knobs for the top QD mount unless you don't leave the bike untended.

I mounted a pair of Pelican 1430's to the racks using a bunch of plastic caster wheels I had around (1"wide X 2 1/2" dia) to space them away from the mount plates (Pelicans won't mount flat) The 1430's are a few inches too small to look right, but the next size toploader (didn't want stuff falling when I opened them), is HUGE and has rollers on the bottom of each one. If you are getting side load cases, you should be able to get just the right size so that they look good. BTW, you'll need 1/4" X 2"-2 1/2" inch long bolts to mount the Pelicans.

I'll be tossing on a few Swissgear aluminum bottles and micro pelicans on the back of the 1430's to fill in space (there's a large open area inside the SW-Motech plates that the 1060 cases fit in - perfect for tools or first aid stuff).

Everything cost about $$350. Not awesome considering that I could have gotten the cheap Givi cases for the same cost of the Pelicans. The Pelicans' just LOOK like they belong on a Dualsport. Givi's make me look all sport-toury and the like. Bleh!
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind posting a few pictures of your setup?

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Old 08-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,739
Thumb DL650 application

We put them on the wifes Strom, work pretty slick. Mounts are very unobtrusive when the racks are removed. We mounted Givi N36J bags.
Good hardware included, even the install directions were ok, for as well as they ever are.

Purchased from Twisted Throttle, good people to deal with as far as my exp goes.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Not pelicans, but a pair of Givis work real well.

I've had them on my '02 Adventure over 3 years now. Still rock solid. No signs of fatigue. I did have to make a slight change on how they mount on to the footpegs. Instructions (all in German) showed them mounted to the inside, I found it worked better to mount them to the outside...

I got plenty of pics if you're interested. Willing to take more as well??. Send me a regular e-mail and I'll send some your way. Best thing about the set-up is that is super quick to remove or install, and you lose 90% of the weight once it's off.

There's got to be some old posts about these elsewhere. Did you check the thread index? Do a search?

No matter. Ping me and I'll be happy to let you know all about them..
Old 08-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
john pfeiffer
KTM Submarine Pilot

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind posting a few pictures of your setup?
Not quite sure how to post pics here (In years of posting in forums, never got around to trying it). I can pm you some jpgs tomorrow afternoon (hopefully I can get that to work).

Are you thinking about going with topload Pelicans?
Sigillum Militum Χρisti
Old 08-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pfeiffer
Not quite sure how to post pics here (In years of posting in forums, never got around to trying it). I can pm you some jpgs tomorrow afternoon (hopefully I can get that to work).

Are you thinking about going with topload Pelicans?
No. I need more space than the smaller ones provide, and the big ones have too much extra garbage (i.e. wheels), and the hinge gusset on the back sticks out too far. I have sideloaders on my KLR and Strom, and I like them a lot.

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
No. I need more space than the smaller ones provide, and the big ones have too much extra garbage (i.e. wheels), and the hinge gusset on the back sticks out too far. I have sideloaders on my KLR and Strom, and I like them a lot.
You have seen the 1440s in person? Why do you think the hinge sticks out too far?

I kinda figured the handle and wheels would not be in the way - why do you think they would be?

There is a thread on the SW Motech by braaap! HERE

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
You have seen the 1440s in person? Why do you think the hinge sticks out too far?

I kinda figured the handle and wheels would not be in the way - why do you think they would be?

There is a thread on the SW Motech by braaap! HERE
Thanks for the link, meat. I think I'm going to go the SW motech route. The hinge on the 1440's isn't an issue, its the reinforcing gusset. I figure you would have to space the cases out an additional 2" each side to get past it. That, added to the already super wide Motech rack, doesn't really appeal to me. I figure I can mount the side loading cases flush. The handle and wheels wouldn't be in the way, just extra crap I don't want.

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Old 08-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Thanks for the link, meat. I think I'm going to go the SW motech route. The hinge on the 1440's isn't an issue, its the reinforcing gusset. I figure you would have to space the cases out an additional 2" each side to get past it. That, added to the already super wide Motech rack, doesn't really appeal to me. I figure I can mount the side loading cases flush. The handle and wheels wouldn't be in the way, just extra crap I don't want.
So you think the spacing of the Motech rack (wide enough for braaap! to shoe-horn in some hecktanks) wouldn't be wide enough for the reinforcing gusset? How do you think it would interfere? I guess I need to go stare at the pics some more... I am interested in this, so please forgive the grilling - and I can't find the cases locally to inspect.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you are referring to, the braces for the hinge, so that it can withstand more force applied to the lid. Here:

Can't find a single shot of the 1430's hinges...

What about grinding down the braces or mounting them to the outside?

EDIT2: OR! perhaps mount them so the gussets are high enough to fit about the flat section of the racks? Or grind them a tad so the bottom of the case mounts to the racks?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 08-08-2006 at 03:53 PM Reason: add info
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #11
john pfeiffer
KTM Submarine Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
So you think the spacing of the Motech rack (wide enough for braaap! to shoe-horn in some hecktanks) wouldn't be wide enough for the reinforcing gusset? How do you think it would interfere? I guess I need to go stare at the pics some more... I am interested in this, so please forgive the grilling - and I can't find the cases locally to inspect.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I had to space the 1430's (shorter gussets than the 1440's) out about an inch. I don't mind the dead space because I'm mounting Pelican micro 1060's inside the open area in the SW-Motech plates. The plates are just a perimeter of steel about 2" where the mounting holes are. i have been trying to find small auxiliary tanks (like the Acerbis fork tank) that would fit there, but there's not enough room. Anyway, Firerigger has a point with the sideloads. I almost wish that I had went that way now, and just used liner bags to hold stuff. Even the little gussets on the 1430's forced an additional 2"+ width on my bike, and the 1430's don't hold a heck of a lot.

I think that you could grind away the gusset material and probably be OK on the case structure - I thought about it, but lack the resources to do it.

Anyway, pics as soon as I figure out how to post them. Is there a "how to post pics" thread on here somewhere?
Sigillum Militum Χρisti
Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
firerigger just do it already, and don't forget my brake pedal enhancer.
scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
My original review:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/view/53/1/20
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
I like the quick release thing and the price is great. My big problem with cases are the racks being on all the time. I might have to order some of these puppies.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Nice review! And just the pictures I was looking for! Thanks.

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000