User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #46
WickedChicken
just don't tell Mom...

Oddometer: 158
Thumb mini review

OK, so ldb has written a pretty exhaustive review, and I don't have much to add that's substantive. But here's my experience, from opening the box to riding with it (on pavement) for about 80 miles...

impressions on fit and maneuverability: At first glance, this vest is burly. As others have said, stiffer and more substantial than your typical CE armor. The vest is clearly designed to not be constricting: it doesn't ride up, the arm holes are substantial, and it fits snugly. While the material is stiff, the vest is cut for movement. I can touch my toes, swivel, bend around, circle my arms--all without constriction. The longer I wore the vest, the more it seemed to comform to my body. I don't know if that's because I was getting used to it, or because it actually did conform somewhat...

wearing with a jacket: I ended up buying a medium, which is probably too small to wear over a jacket. But it works great layered over a t-shirt & under a jacket. This is something to take into account...the vest fits perfectly under my mesh jacket (with some room to spare), but it's a bit tight under my textile coat. Servicable, but clunky feeling. With both jackets, it integrated just fine with my shoulder pads, which are CE foam ones.

riding: After a few miles, I got used to the vest, and even found it comfortable. The fit is compact, it didn't interfere with my helmet, and it offered a measure of back support. It didn't feel clammy or hot (the high today was 66). The back doesn't make contact with the seat.

overall: No, this isn't some magical garment that's as light as a t-shirt or totally disappears when you put it on. It's very well-engineered though, and it's comfortable and easy to get used to. As with wearing a helmet, you'll notice that the vest is there, but the fit is comfortable, and (for me at least), I feel more relaxed and into the ride when I have good gear. It's unobtrusive enough that I'll be making it a regular part of my road-riding gear, though I will have to search for an all-weather coat to fit over it.
WickedChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #47
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,345
In response to a previous point, the reason why equestrian rider's vests carry the "Not intended for m/c use" warning is in order to legally armourplate the company against possible lawsuits from injured riders.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #48
license2ill
Banned

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacktard
In response to a previous point, the reason why equestrian rider's vests carry the "Not intended for m/c use" warning is in order to legally armourplate the company against possible lawsuits from injured riders.
Which makes you wonder about the advertized for mc use stuff that doesn't talk about performance values or meet any recognized marks for efficacy.
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #49
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Tipperary Vest is for Horse Riding

One of our customers told me about this thread and I feel a response is necessary.

The Tipperary Vest is designed for horse riding. Not motorcycle riding. I'm currently working with horse riders designing a better protective vest. They approached me because of my back ground and the injuries ridiers were getting when wearing the Tipperary Vest. Not motorcycle riders injured, INJURIES WEARING THE TIPPERARY VEST WHEN RIDING HORSES! Don't be misled by testing info that can be confusing. This vest is not appropriate for riding motorcycles.

The main character involved with again misleading info, lies and defaming products is license2ill.

If anyone here thinks that the impact absorbtion is better than our Tri-Armor, please provide proof. I can provide proof that our Tri-Armor is better than CE.

One main point I've seen in this thread is the cost issue. The Tipperary Vest is $139.00 to $149.00. Riders felt this was a great deal for this protective vest. Here are better deals that offer far more protection and comfort.

This is a photo of our Body Guard Jacket. Price: $139.00 Better Tri-Armor with more coverage. See full description in the Jacket Section of our web site at: www.motoport.com
Attached Images

Wayne at Motoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #50
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

More Coverage With Better Impact Absorbing Armor

Here are photos of the Tri-Armor covering the body.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #51
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

Another Photo

Complete elbow/forearm armor is hard to see, but it is there also.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #52
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

Back Photo of the Challenger AX Plus

Back photo of the Challenger AX Plus Jacket
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #53
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Guys we ride motorcycles and we ride them all over the world in all conditions and under less than optimal situations... i appreciate the heads up on the tippery vest... i found a horse wears shop and bought the next one down...about 100 bucks... fit just like the tippery and i get the whole idea of the vest. I have various jackets with CE armour in the shoulders and elbows and the vest is a great idea... makes up for where the jackets missed all together... I ride in all weather conditions and all through the year... i am going with buyer beware on this... it looks more than what the jacket provides and i feel its more than a plastic chest plate and somewhere near the Bohn vest/ armor... IMO if its uncomfortable you wont use it... if its a pain to put on you won't use it... the vest works on these counts... easy to use east to put on... after a while you don't even know its there feels like a bulky coat...

This is a personal thing... just like wearing ATGATT... personal choice... we can all read and we can all decide how much we can afford to protect ourselves...

as always varied points of view educate us even more... make us think...

bad about horse riders getting hurt but i think any vest falling off a horse is gonna leave a mark... so is getting off your MC... but it still beats going without anything...

Keep finding and researching but don't bash... present the info and let us decide! its the American way!
XR 650 '97
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #54
ldbandit76 OP
Life is good.

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Motoport
If anyone here thinks that the impact absorbtion is better than our Tri-Armor, please provide proof. I can provide proof that our Tri-Armor is better than CE.
Thanks for the hijack, Wayne.

The Tipperary vest meets BETA 2000 Level 3. That standard allows 4kN of force to reach the body at 45 Joules of impact energy. Unless there's a vast conspiracy of fake certifications, we can be reasonably certain that the Tipperary vest absorbs impact energy at least that well (and perhaps better, but we won't speculate).

What force does your tri-armor allow through at what impact energy?

The question of appropriate use is a valid one. That said, I haven't seen any reason, based on fit, retention, comfort or impact performance, why the Tipperary vest won't work on a motorcycle. It served me quite well in a rather harsh fall.

On that note, the fact that any person gets injured while wearing a piece of equipment says nothing about the equipment. People get head injuries despite thier helmets, get abrasions despite their leathers, get broken bones despite their padded vests. All protective gear has a limit to its protective value. And only objective, repeatable tests can locate and describe that limit.

Since you've done those tests, you know what your products' limits are, right? And you'll share them with us, right?

But you haven't yet. And I don't suspect you will this time, either.

Dave

ldbandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #55
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
I split off Wayne's Motoport Christmas sale stuff into the Vendor Forum.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #56
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I split off Wayne's Motoport Christmas sale stuff into the Vendor Forum.

Good on ya, Marc. Thanks!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #57
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

As Reqested, Here is the Testing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbandit76
Thanks for the hijack, Wayne.

The Tipperary vest meets BETA 2000 Level 3. That standard allows 4kN of force to reach the body at 45 Joules of impact energy. Unless there's a vast conspiracy of fake certifications, we can be reasonably certain that the Tipperary vest absorbs impact energy at least that well (and perhaps better, but we won't speculate).

What force does your tri-armor allow through at what impact energy?

The question of appropriate use is a valid one. That said, I haven't seen any reason, based on fit, retention, comfort or impact performance, why the Tipperary vest won't work on a motorcycle. It served me quite well in a rather harsh fall.

On that note, the fact that any person gets injured while wearing a piece of equipment says nothing about the equipment. People get head injuries despite thier helmets, get abrasions despite their leathers, get broken bones despite their padded vests. All protective gear has a limit to its protective value. And only objective, repeatable tests can locate and describe that limit.

Since you've done those tests, you know what your products' limits are, right? And you'll share them with us, right?

But you haven't yet. And I don't suspect you will this time, either.

Dave

This graph is showing the best T-Pro Back Protector, CE approved armor as "A". Cycleport/Motoport's Tri-Armor is "B". A is showing the Peak Acceleration at 30 G's and Static Stress in PSI on initial impact. Cycleport's Tri-Armor is absorbing the impact better at around 25 G's.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #58
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

More Testing Info

Old 11-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #59
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460

All I got from your second post was a red-X. I think this is the image you were trying to link.

What is it?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #60
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

Final Graph

The above impact testing is very accurate. These test machines are used in the USA for many different applications. Impact testing for computer disks, boxes, all types of foams, rubber joints, helmets etc...These machines are very accurate. Far more accurate than the machines used for CE approval. If anyone tries to claim that the CE impact machines are better they are wrong.

Following are my opinions why the Tipperary Air Vest is not recommended for Motorcycle use:

1. The foam is too thick and soft. Has anyone here ever seen armor used in motorcycle apparel that is as thick and soft as the Tipperary Vest? When falling at speed this thick foam can cause the rider to flip and tumble instead of sliding.

2. No protection in the shoulders/arms.

3. Not stiff enough to prevent broken bones, damage to joints.

4. The manufacturer of the Tipperary Vest states: "Not To BE USED ON MOTORCYCLES!!!!

In the Vendor Section please read: "Dear Motoport" Many riders have a misunderstanding that by being thick the armor will provide better protection. This is not true. Very similar to the fact that thicker leather does not mean that it will provide better tear/abrasion strength.

Please understand that the Tipperary Vest is better than wearing no protection at all. Don't be mislead by impact testing that can be very confusing. Claims that other armor is inferior without any proof.

Horse riders are getting injured wearing the Tipperary Vest. Broken backs, shoulders and arms. I've shown test of our Tri-Armor. This armor is designed for use on a Motorcycle and will work better than the Tipperary Vest.

It is difficult for me to understand how riders can justify puchasing this Tipperary Vest and then wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket that is made from knitted Polyester, that is 100% Polyurethane coated. I can understand if you only ride in soft dirt at low speed. For protection riding at speed on the dirt or at any speed on the street, the Joe Rocket is not even close to sufficient protection. Impact protection is the most important factor for motorcycle apparel. Without proper tear/abrasion/seam strength of the material the jacket or pant is made with, the impact protection can be useless.

Finally the manufacturer of the Tipperary Vest has a warning on all of the vest. Not for motorcycle use. He is doing this to prevent lawsuits when motorcycle riders crash and get injured wearing this vest. Most importantly the manufacturer is telling you it is not good for use on motorcycles. Why do I have to explain more?