Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
bug67 OP
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 727
Laugh 570.4 Miles...

...460 somethin' on the first day

I woke up Monday morning at about 5 am and got tired of watching television rather quickly. Then it hit me. Why not hop on the GS and ride the Denali Hwy? Good idea, I says to myself. So, I loaded up all the gear, gassed up had a coffee and off I went.

I had my pack rod with me in case I decided to stop along the many streams along the way. I only stopped at Troublesome Creek. I got into quite a few pinks before the cheap pack rod I had snapped on a rather large one. Probably better I didn't stick around there for long anyhow. There was bear sign all over the place. It was way to hot to be crawling through the woods with all that gear on anyways. I had a 70+mph AC unit waiting back at the trail head.

I arived in Cantwell around 1:30 and decided to take a break and have some lunch. There were 3 other GSrs there when I arived. They had ridden the Denali Hwy from the opposite direction I was going. I think they said that they had ridden up from Canada. I forgot to mention ADVRider so, if you guys are ever on this site, it was nice meeting you and I hope you have a good trip.

The Denali Hwy was spectacular. This trip was the reason I got a GS in the first place. I passed a few other bikes on the way. All GSs except 1. Musta been a KTM. It was bright orange. Most vehicular traffic was few and far between and of the caged variety. Just the way I like it. The whole road to myself more or less. I kept thinking to myself that it would really suck ass to break down. This streatch of road is truly wilderness. I didn't see much wild life. One squirel and one porcupine. The latter took off to the underbrush before I could get a picture.

I wish my pack rod woulda held together. There were streams all along the road. I know they were teaming with greyling. Oh, well. Next time I won't try salmon fishing with a rod that in no way is designed for salmon fishing

I got into a little shower about 10 miles before I hit Paxon. Not much really. I had no problem out running it. Stopped for gas somewhere near Paxon lake.

By the time I got to Glennallen, my back side was starting to go numb. It was getting kinda late anyhow and those rain clouds were trying there darndest to catch me.

I rode on through Glennallen and they caught up with me. Not much more that a little sprinkle really. But the sun was setting - in my eyes - and there was a helluva glare on the road. As the sun was setting, the temperature began to drop quite a bit. I found a place to pull off and pitch the tent. I don't know if it was 'cause I was tired or stiff or what exactly happened. But, I went to park the bike I put my left foot down and thee bike just kept on going. First time I've layed it over. Luckily, the ground was super soft and I didn't hurt anything but my pride. I was also lucky I was alble to get the thing upright again too . I would've hated to have to embarrass myself further by having to flag someone down.

The best part of the ride was when I left my camp site the next morning. I truly had a spiritual experience. Words can't begin to describe the awe I felt as I rode. The photos I've included don't even do it justice. I've been on this route I don't know how many times in a cage and never noticed this beauty. I am truly blessed that this is all in my back yard

So, here are some pics (quite a few actually)

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 08-10-2006 at 12:03 AM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:05 AM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,043
You are truly blessed!

bug67,

Great write-up. Loved the pictures. We were stationed at Elmendorf AFB from 1989-1996. I sold my bike before moving up there because I was into the street-bike thing, and the street-biased dual-sports (like my current V-Strom) weren't sold yet. I couldn't afford the BMW -- just an enlisted "buck sergeant" at the time. Anyways, the Denali Hwy pictures brought back lots of great memories. Maybe someday I'll get to ride back up there.

You are blessed to have all that great riding out your back door.

Ride safe and God bless.

pnoman
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Hardrocker
Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer: 462
Great Photos, Spectacular Scenery

Very nice ride report. Thanks for showing us the beauty of Alaska.

Do they make fly rods that can handle big salmon?

How are the grayling for eating?
Hardrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,410
Backyard

Great yard you have there.

Thanks
JR
TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,862
Absolutely beautiful
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
CosmoSquig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great pics!!
There's a lot of space there... Not to be seen in Europe :(
Old 08-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
bug67 OP
Hazard Avoidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrocker
...Do they make fly rods that can handle big salmon?

How are the grayling for eating?
Anything from a 7-9 weight can handle salmon. I've landed a 35lbs King on my 9 weight. Don't know if it could do bigger than that though. I have caught chums and pinks with my 6 weight but, that rod is a junker and I didn't really care about it anyways.

Greyling are fantastic eating! The problem is they don't keep. You have to eat them fresh.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Big Bad Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I was there too....

I think that I passed you when you were on your way in...I was on the Red/White GS just finishing the ride from Paxson to Cantwell...It was truly an amazing experience...The pictures you took are beautiful!!!!!
Big Bad Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
bug67 OP
Hazard Avoidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob
I think that I passed you when you were on your way in...I was on the Red/White GS just finishing the ride from Paxson to Cantwell...It was truly an amazing experience...The pictures you took are beautiful!!!!!
Oh, yeah! I remember now.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
burnjr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
nice ride bro

buck nice picture...like to do this..c u bro
burnjr is offline   Reply With Quote