ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
August OP
August

Oddometer: 103
Ride advice around Jackson Hole Wyoming

My friend and I have a week in the Jackson Hole area. We would love some advice on some off road routes in the area. Perhaps a nice big loop. We are riding a couple Dakar's and will be loaded for camping.
Thanks
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
punk
Dammed

Oddometer: 44
Just moved to Jackson this spring so I guess I'm the resident expert in the area...

The only riding I've found here that isn't wicked singletrack is out the Slide Lake Road East of Kelly, just north of Jackson. I haven't been too far but what I've seen might be just what you're looking for. In the De Lorme Gazetter it looks like you could circumnavigate the Gros Ventre Wilderness and make it to Pinedale or over the Continental Divide to the East side.

In reality it might be a dead end but it would be fun find out. It's one sweet road with buffalo roaming around at the start and amazing scenery along the way.

If you're comming thru Idaho Falls head east on Hwy 26, north on hwy 31, east on 33 (at Victor) which turns into hwy 22. That will get you into Jackson proper. 31 and 22 are roads you'll not want to miss.

I'll report more if I make it out there farther,
Punk

oh, bring your bear spray and camp smart in this area, lots of griz!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
August OP
August

Oddometer: 103
Thanks for the info. I think i'll give that road a shot. I'm heading over next week.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
pkz53
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'm joining a newby KLR 650 rider in the Jackson Hole area as well for 4 days of duel sporting. Would love to cross the divide on a gravel rode in the area if it's possible and not too late in the year. We also plan to head up a little north around Yellowstone. Any advice would be appreciated
pkz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
raydar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Jackson Wy area rides

August,
I've hunted the spread creek and Gros Ventre (Pronounced "gro-vaughant") for many years. I'm pretty sure that you can't make the trip from the Gros Ventre over to Pinedale on a motorized vehicle(to much wilderness area) you might do it on a peddle bike. With a forest service map (where to get it later) you can go up past Slide lake and on up to Fish Creek and Bacon Creek. Here is a another good trip though, continue north out of Jackson to Moran Junction on 26, take 26/287 towards Dubois and head east. About 4-5 miles towards Dubois you will come across the Blackrock ranger station, get a forest service map then just 400 - 600 yards back towards the west there is a dirt road and a campground, take this road (Flagstaff road) and you can make a loop up toward Togwotee Pass. Definitley take the road to Liedy Lake, go past Liedy lake towards the west and once you reach the pass you will be looking down on the Gros Ventre river. There are lots of raods in this area that are passable and ok to travel on with a motorcycle. Follow them all, there is a couple of days worth of travel in that area alone! Keep your eyes open for ole' griz and camp bear wise if camping. Have a great rip and enjoy! But don't tell anyone else about it, we try to keep these areas for natives!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
punk
Dammed

Oddometer: 44
I think Raydar is correct, I've been riding out the Gros Ventre Rd a few times now and I haven't found a legal route out. (I'm not giving up yet)

I rode over Togatee Pass today and I did see many roads and trails but did not have time to explore. I've been told that Dubois and the East side of the Gros Ventre range have most riding areas. I would steer you over there for the most dirt roads in the area.

However, I can recommend the Immagrant Trail (Lander cutoff), I rode it from Boulder (South of Pinedale) to the continental divide at South Pass. The South Pass/Atlantic City area looked to have losts of riding and some cool historical stuff to go along with it.

If you're looking for knarly singletrack, let me know.
Punk
Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
pkz53
n00b

Oddometer: 6
anybody gone from Wilderness to Hamilton Dome through Wind River on the merritt pass rd. It looks like that may be a fun way to get to Cody, then on to beartooth.
pkz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,970
Nice Big Loop

August

My suggestion would be to make a big loop utilizing the Continental Divide Trail. This is the mtn bike route from Canada to Mexico. You will find many references to it in the ride reports. I rode the northern half from Steamboat Springs to Canada this past July on my Dakar.

Head south out of Jackson on hwy 191 towards Pinedale. About 5 miles before you get to Pinedale turn north on road 352 towards Cora. The road will turn to gravel at the Forest Service boundry. Follow the signs to Union Pass. The Union Pass road will drop you onto US 287 about 5 miles west of Dubois. Turn west on the highway and ride over Togwatee Pass. Stop at the Togwatee Lodge, just on the west side of the pass. The old highway goes between the gas station and the lodge. This is a great ride that will drop you back on the highway a few miles before Moran Junction. Turn south at Moran and you will close the loop back to Jackson (without having to pay the $20 to enter the park).

Dave
Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Bumping this up. I'm in Jackson now and planning on riding tomorrow. Probably will get an RT like last time but might venture over to the dark side

Last time I rode here I went up to driggs across to west Yellowstone and down Teton back it was a long day. I used to live in Bozeman so seeing the park isn't a necessity.

Anyone have some suggestions for a 400ish mile day centered around Jackson? I prefer twisties and no crowds. No real dirt as I'm going to be on a street bike. Don't need any tourist stuff just a big loop with as many fun roads as possible. I have a garmin Montana but not sure if I could load a loop without a computer?

Thanks

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote