User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #1
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
A Journey For Healthcare: 21 countries, 60,000 KM and 11 months on the road

Down from Orange County, California to Buenos Aires, Argentina (west coast) Up to Caracas, Venezuela (east coast)

My Lord God, I have no idea where I'm going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I'm doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton
- Thoughts in Solitude

Approximately 166 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean are partially or totally excluded from access to health goods and services. A solution to this problem can be found.

On August 6th 2006, I have embarked on a research journey from California to Argentina to document first hand the healthcare situation and raise awareness of the limitations of the current system. In addition, if finances permit, I hope to develop a network of healthcare consulting companies and distribution companies throughout Latin America. This will allow the importation and distribution of healthcare products that are developed at a low cost, high quality and are affordable to the Bottom of the Pyramid.

Next year I would like to expand the scope of the project to better understand the current barriers to access across Latin America and to analyze the array of public, private and social sector solutions both in Latin America and other developing nations that can best address the problem. Based on this analysis, I would like to produce a business plan that incorporates the best innovations from different initiatives to outline the model for a self-sustaining organization that distributes product to the rural and neglected areas. With the ultimate goal of establishing an multinational organization that expands healthcare access to those who need it the most – the poor.

salcar screwed with this post 09-24-2006 at 09:17 PM
salcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Hermosillo

I made it safely to Hermosillo, Mexico. I´ll post the ride report and pics soon. Other than the rain it was a very nice and easy ride
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,756
Good luck.

The trip shouldn't be particularly hazardous, but be careful.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar
I made it safely to Hermosillo, Mexico...
Bravo!

(Personally, I'm waiting for the extended commentary version of the Salcar DVD. But this thread and his website blog will do for now... )
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
dustjunkie
Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer: 1,426
Goodonya brother! it was good to get that email, glad to hear all is going well! Bike looks good, especially the tank saddle bags... Just so you know, I have the spanner wrench for your new shock in my garage. Unless you need it sooner, I will send it to Mexico city with the rest here in a couple of weeks.

Take care!

Jake
Old 08-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

In Creel, MX.

I spent last night in Basaseachi after riding all day and today rode another 4 hours to Creel. The ride has been like a driving video game having to avoid all kinds of animals: donkeys, cows, deers, snakes, squirrls, dogs, pigs, etc. Had to avoid upcoming traffic in my lane in curves! and rocks that had fallen on the road in addition to numerous pot holes.
Once i made it to Basaseachi I met some bikers from Los Mochis who invited me to spend the night at their cabbin after they fed me and got me drunk. They were from the Casa Club Los Titanes. Really cool guys.
Today I went to see the Baseaschi waterfall which is the second tallest water fall in the world. 320 meters! Then I rode to Creel through some magnificent sceneray. Tonight i´m camping by a lake and tomorrow I might head out to Hidalgo del Parral. I´ll see tomorrow if I´m to tired for a full day of riding. I took a bunch of pictures but haven´t been able to upload them.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Had to avoid upcoming traffic in my lane in curves! and rocks that had fallen on the road in addition to numerous pot holes.
You have noticed that sometimes the rocks in the road are just fallen rocks, and sometimes they are "early warning devices" for broken down trucks around the curve, right?

The trip sounds great --- keep us updated!
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,848
Keep rolling Salcar--and keep up the reports. You're on the adventure of a lifetime.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
Vaya con Dios

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Now I’m starting to appreciate all the effort, time and money that Stiking Viking, WorldRider, FLyingAvanti just to mention a couple have put in keeping updated their threads. Maybe it was a little bit easier and cheaper for them because they had a laptop and could just upload it but nonetheless it takes more effort than I thought. Mine won’t be as good due to my limited resources but I hope to provide a glimpse of my journey.

This is my friend that I went to visit in Tucson.

Crossing the border was very easy especially because there were no lines.

Going to hermosillo it rained 3 times! The third time i had to slow down almost to walking speed. I got soaked but it lasted only a few minutes. It felt good to be wet on the open road.

Once in Hermosillo I enjoyed the comfort of nice house and great food!
see pics in smug mug account. house had a nice swiming pool and large rooms.

Hermosillo it’s a cute town where you can spend one or two nights before heading to Creel.
[see pics in my smugmug account for some reason i cant get it to show]

Just outside Hermosillo you can see come nice ranchs. This is my friend’s

Where I got to play with the horses

Although I just started my adventure the road from Hermosillo to Creel has been the most amazing with regards to scenery, vegetation and wild life. I couldn’t many pictures because it was all twisties and no place to pull over. I was afraid I might get hit from behind.

This is one of the little rocks that I found on the road. At one point the a big chunck of the mountain came down and I was lucky enough that the tractor had just arrived to clear my way.

Once I arrive to National Park Baseaseachi where I was going to camp for the night I met this guys from los mochis

That night the got me drunk and bought me food. In addition they invited me to stay at the cabin they had rented.

Of course on the floor with my sleeping bag.

Next day they went back to los mochis and I went to see the second largest waterfall in the world. 320 meters almost 1000 feet

Then I head to Creel where I found a lake where you could camp. The tourist season is slowing down so there was just one family camping. I decided to camp close to them that way I felt more secure

Once I entered my tent the guy that was camping next to me brought me some food.
[img]http://salcar.smugmug.com/photos/90014459-M.jpg[/img]

This clearly shows that in certain places in Mexico is safe to camp and in the area around Creel and national parks there are plenty of designed areas.

Next day I was off to Parral

The road from Creel to Hidalgo del Parral was just a lot of fun for my riding style. Brand new road with lots of wide curves, straights and awesome scenery.

More soon…[currently in Nombre de Dios outside of Durango]
Old 08-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Lookin' good, Salvador!

Quote:
More soon…

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Nice, Salcar. Do you find the days getting easier (as far as being in a riding routine) or harder as they go along?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Now I’m starting to appreciate all the effort, time and money that Stiking Viking, WorldRider, FLyingAvanti just to mention a couple have put in keeping updated their threads.... it takes more effort than I thought. Mine won’t be as good due to my limited resources but I hope to provide a glimpse of my journey.
Do what you can. We'll enjoy when and whatever you can post...

...and don't forget to get a few good shots of yourself mounted on the Dakar with something monumental in the background. We need a good cover for your book!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

I´m in San Felipe, Guanajuato. Today I rode another 300 miles or so. I just ate and I´m beat. There are only two hotels in town. both cost the same. I decided to stay at the newer one bc they will let me put the bike inside at midnight. The hotel is the most expensive so far 170 pesos a little less than 17 dollars. I wasn´t happy about that but the food is really cheap here. For less than 4 dls I had Sopa Aguada a type of soup and a plate of chicharron with beans, rice tortillas.

Getting here I got lost 3 times but I was able to figure out my way around by asking the locals. Although I didn´t make it to Rio del San Juan my final destination before entering Mexico City. The road coming here was alright but all the little towns it went throught were very fun to ride around. The roads were not clear and ended up going the wrong way several times and driving through streets that were closed to the traffic. One road block that I thought it was a tope was actually to stop vehicles to enter the market so I rode through the market and everyone looked at me like a dumb foreigner.

I´ll leave here late tomorrow to look for a map for Mexico City and got to Rio del San Juan.