User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,932
Cool2 Harleys, Hotties, and a Hill Climb: A Sturgis Experience

A while back, I reported on a nice evening ride with my dad. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=Evening Rides with him are special due to his arthritis etc. So when he suggested that we take a trip to Sturgis, I took him up on it.

I'm not the Harley type. I won't bash or poke fun at them, I'll just leave it at that. To each their own.

I was expecting a unique, and perhaps wild, experience.

Day 1 530 miles

We left Denver at 9am last Wed. and drove straight to Custer, SD. This was a big day for us, especially for Moyle. A tad over 500 miles is quite impressive for a guy that has not rode more than 120 a day in 2 years. Wyoming is flat as a pool table so no pics, just imagine a dry, flat, dead zone. Custer was beautiful after several hours on highway 85.

Happiness found at the Comfort Inn, Custer.

My dad (Moyle) just bought that GPZ last week specifically for sport touring. It did great except for lousy mileage.

After a little break from the heat we headed out to see Crazy Horse.

After we returned to Denver I asked my dad what was his favorite part of the trip. He was most taken by the Crazy Horse Memorial.http://www.crazyhorse.org/. It really is impressive.

Yours truley.

After spending an hour or so there we decided to take in Mt. Rushmore as well. The night was still young, and the sizzling temperature had cooled off. The road up to Rushmore was beautiful with lots of curves and very little traffic.

The ride back to our room in Custer was nippy and both of us were non ATTGAT compliant. Brrrrr. I remembered that I really don't like to ride with out a helmet on this trip. You can't see squat through the wind!

One more of the dead presidents. Then off to bed in Custer.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
UpFront
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Keep it coming!
UpFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Eh?

I did not see ONE hottie.

I assume you have something in reserve.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Day 2: about 190 miles.

First on the list was Custer State Park. We decided to head to Sturgis after that by highway 87. There were lots of those big hairy cows there.

We posed for them so that they could have something to remember us by.

I know, a bit too close. They didn't seem to mind. The park was nice. We road the wildlife loop backwards from the advice given by the ranger. This proved to be wise as it cut the putt putt traffic down to nill.

I wish that I could get the old man to try some dirt riding but I'll settle for pavement with him. I was glad to be on this trip. I still managed to explore some of the forest roads in the park. Nice.

87, the Needles Highway, on any other day would be in the top 5 motorcycle roads for me. The scenery is awesome and the curves are better than a bunch of Baywatch babes'. But today was a "Rally Ride" day. Oy, I wish I had the words to describe the exquisite torture that I endured following a few hundred HOGs along that road. I can't stand 10 miles per hour.

The scenery was spectacular.

After what seemed to be an eternity, we made it to Deadwood where we stayed for the night. I had reserved a room online at the "Budget Host" on US 385 in Deadwood. Budget at $385 per night? But hey, look at what your money gets ya.

All that puttin' had made us hungry so we dumped our gear and headed over to Sturgis.

We both wanted to sit down and have a decent lunch with a cold one. I never suspected to see so few restaraunts in Sturgis. Just bars, and roadhouses. We settled on the Loud American Roadhouse. The crappy music was blasting, the food took an hour and stunk, the bill for 2 sandwiches and 2 beers was $38. The people watching-priceless.

We hit the streets for more after our fine meal. Down town Sturgis was a bit of a let down for me. I had high expectations of naked women running around and wild men chasing them. The scene was like a giant street fair; lots of vendors hawking everything from beer to eyeglass cleaner, custom bikes to chinese lapel pins. Unfortunately, I was not camera ready for the one topless woman riding her hog down the street, but I was pleased to see her anyway.

Here's a few more

The Jack Daniels Girls were smokin hot.

After spending perhaps a bit too much time in the JD tent, we headed back to Deadwood.

Part of the reasoning behind my dad's suggestion for this trip was to meet his buddy there. Denny is another combat wounded Vietnam vet that my dad knows. He goes every year with his son. They stay at the Buffalo Chip campground, where all the wild shite happens, they say. My dad met Denny by selling his Z1000 Eliminator to him a few years ago. Denny rode that bike to Sturgis. It looks nothing like it did when my dad owned it.

I would bet that it has not been washed since my dad last did it. Oh well, to each his own. So as you can see, the boys from Minnesota are a bit on the wild side. Denny's son Chad had a grat time doing burnouts for me in the hotel parking lot.

Well, a great time until the law showed up tha is. There were several police cars on 385 just across the creek from the motel. One of them came over to compliment Chad. Chad copped an attitude and ended up cuffed in the back seat of the cruiser. I wish I had pics, but it seemed way inappropriate at the time. Chad did not get a ticket for reckless or any other moving violation. He did get one for having a pot pipe in his pocket. $240 pay now Mr. out of state. The cops took cash which seemed kinda wrong. They ruined the Minnesota boy's night to say the least.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
scottr
Banned

Harley hotties.

The buffalo butts were better.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
scottr
Banned

I'm just being a jerk. Looks like its going to be a very good report. Keep it comming.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Day 3: the hill climb

We saw the sign in Sturgis and definately wanted to see the hill climb. My dad had not seen one since the 1960's when the riders used BSAs Triumphs and Harleys to do it. Times have changed, the bikes are specialized now.

Check out that swing arm.

The day started with 80-250cc machines. The riders ranged from little kids like this.

To big kids like this.

The first rider over the top was all of 15 or so and he did it in 13 seconds.

He had his own fan club too.

The best time of the day was in the low 11 second range.

It was bloody hot that day and hill climbing is thirsty work. Hey beer babe!

One more hill climb before we move on.

When we had had our fill of hill climbing, we took one more cruise through Sturgis to the east side of town. The worst traffic jam I've ever seen. At least there's things to look at while your waiting.

I had heard about the world's largest biker bar in Sturgis, had checked out the web site http://www.fullthrottlesaloon.com/ so I needed to see it for myself.

It was 1pm on Friday and not terribly busy. Look how my Tiger dwarfs those hogs. I would have preferred to be ther later, say 11pm, but we were heading back to Denver. I took what I could get.

She kind of reminded me of Farah Fawcett back in the day.

That shot cost me $8. Well there was a Coors Light thrown in too.

We left Sturgis by 2pm via I-79 to Hot Springs. From there we went west on 385 then south on 71 all the way to Colorado. This was a much better route than US 85 through Wyoming. There was no traffic, and better scenery (well relatively speaking).

There are a few small towns with gas spaced a bit too far apart for my dad's comfort. He only managed about 35 mpg with the GPZ. My Tiger gets 45 minimum.

This old school house was on 71 in rural Nebraska.

We travelled through Nebraska stopping for the night in Scottsbluff. I wish I had stopped for pics around there because it was a beautiful area with wind carved sand bluffs and endless sunflower fields.

We stopped for breakfast Saturday morning in Kimball Nebraska. Holy gut bomb buffet.

So in conclusion, we had a really fine trip together. Neither of us are really into Harley bikes or culture but we were glad to have had the experience of Sturgis.

The End

Old 08-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
Harley hotties.

The buffalo butts were better.

You kill me...

The buffalo butts smelled better too.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
scottr
Banned

LOL

Noticed something interesting. On your hill climbing pics ( the one right afer the two young girls you refer to as a riders fan club ) look at the two guys standing at the bottom of the hill. Then notice the folks standing at the top of the hill. Those at the top are perpendicular. Straight up and down. The two guys at the bottom of the hill look like they are leaning into a hurricane force gale. WTF? Maybe it's camera lens distortion. Makes me think that hill might have been a lot steeper than the camera can show.

Carry on.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,142
Nice report

thanks
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 AM   #11
Bacon_Grease
Arrogant Bastard

Oddometer: 358
So.... let me get this straight... no boobies?

What is the plural form of POS?
Bacon_Grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
thanks for posting. trips with dads and sons are cool. Memory makers.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #13
DaveC
A Commuterist

Oddometer: 340
About that Tiger

Is that a stock seat on that Tiger? How was the butt burn after a 500 mile day? Have you ever doen a two up 500 mile day?

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. H.G. Wells

Don't come to Texas, there is nothing of interest for you here!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #14
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Tilt!

Very common phenom when fotoing subjects on a slant!

Orv

orv screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 01:59 PM
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,923
I'm suprised you didn't see any old Triumphs in the Hill Climb. They're stretched, too, but they still compete in both the 800 (Bonny's) and 540 (Daytonas) classes.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote