User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Bonnie Abbzug OP
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,341
Talking Conquering my "loop of fear!"

Just a little over a year ago I decided to take up riding a motorcycle. I had a 1978 Yamaha DT100 to learn on, and it was a great learning bike! Less than a month after my first ride on the DT Hayduke decided to take me on a little longer ride. I wrote about it here 23 miles and 4 hours- My First Dirt Adventure . It was a fantastic adventure that left me feeling proud that I had done it, but scared to death to do it again!

So, this morning we get up and see that the weather is fantastic and decide to go for a ride. I hadn't been on my bike (I now have an XT225) in almost a month and felt like I needed to do some practice drills so we headed out to a little area just outside of town that has a couple of little mini motocross style trails. It's a great area to warm up in!

I had a blast riding over the woops, and since I took one of Neduro's clinics this summer I've gotten a lot better at taking corners in the dirt. There are a couple of tight ones on this track and it was great to see how fast I could go!

Duke had a lot of fun playing with his new 950 too!

After about an hour of goofing off and warming up Duke suggested that we head down towards the road in the above ride report. I said okay, but with the condition that if it looks too hard we will turn around and try something else. Duke said to me "it's not that hard, you've ridden much more difficult trails." I didn't believe him at all and had myself pretty worked up about it by the time we got there.

Heading down the highway to the turnoff:

Another play area I procrastinated in before we headed up the first big climb:

Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,533
you all still have the ST?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290496

katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 443
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195

Love it!
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Bonnie Abbzug OP
Property of Hayduke

Duke said he'd go up first to make sure there wasn't any snow and all I could think was great, now I have to worry about snow too . Fortunately there wasn't any so off we went. I had forgotten how steep it was here, plus when we rode it before we went the other way around, so I came down this hill at the end. I think I was so relieved at that point to be done that I blocked out how steep it was! It was steep and had just been graded so it was deep, loose and rocky. I didn't much like it at first and stopped about half way up a switchback thinking "that's it, I'm turning around", but Duke managed to convince me that there was a good line on the left that was more packed so I went for it. After about 1/4 of a mile I started to find my groove and actually found myself having fun . I still scared myself a couple of times when it got really deep and soft and the back end would go all wonky, but once I got used to it, it was really a lot of fun!

What a relief to have made it to the top!

Of course once we got to the top, it meant we had to go back down. But what a treat to get to the spring fed creek at the bottom!

We stopped and had a little snack

Now, I had a decision to make. If you'll remember from the previous report, once we made it to the creek I was pretty darn relieved and made a comment about not wanting to go back the way we came because of all the ledges and rocks that we'd gone through coming down. The thought of going back up them made me ill!

This is what the first climb looked like. There is a perfectly good line on the left, but all I could see was ROCKS, lots of big arse ROCKS! Big rocks scare me!

I made it to the top and thought, okay, that wasn't so bad, so lets keep going!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,816
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,259
I like rocks.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Bonnie has been riding for just one year (and a few weeks), but she is doing great, and has done much harder stuff than this loop since last year. She had it built up in her mind though, and getting over that mental aspect of riding is her biggest challenge. Today, she just went for it- and had fun doing it. It's so cool to have a wife that rides

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Bonnie Abbzug OP
Property of Hayduke

So off we went.

After crossing about a 1/4 mile long rock garden section (sorry the batteries on the camera went dead while going through this part - so no pics) the road smoothed out and became a fantastic and fun fast paced woopy curvy ride! I loved it!

About this point we came to a rocky wash. Duke wanted to ride down the wash, but I was having so much fun on the smoother stuff that we decided to part ways for a few minutes. I'll let Duke tell you about his little side adventure.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,032
Nice work Bonnie!!! Especially considering you were off the couch. It always takes me several hours to get in the groove if I havn't been riding much.....
A month off can feel like eternity!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,364
You guys are so cute!

My wife's been talking about giving it a try. I'll be sure to have her look at your threads.

You go, girl!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Weren't you a riding noob just last year? You've come a long way since then I remember your first tentative steps riding in your backyard! What a difference a year and some practice make!!! Thanks for the report and pics
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Bonnie Abbzug OP
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
You guys are so cute!

My wife's been talking about giving it a try. I'll be sure to have her look at your threads.

You go, girl!
Hey Tyll,

Glad to see you back from the banned ! I hope that I can be a bit of an inspriation to your wife! I'm truly loving riding! Here's my very first Ride Report My First Ride (and boy was it a long one) It's all about ME learning to ride .
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Weren't you a dirt noob just last year? You've come a long way since then
She had never ridden a motorcycle at all until late October last year. Since then, she's been on some stuff that alot of more experienced riders wouldn't do. I'd say she's come a long way!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Gratuitous 950 shot....

My little side (mis)adventure was just a slight miscalculation. The road here follows a dry wash, in some places is in the dry wash, but lower down the wash spreads out and the road leaves the bottom for a more packed and smooth route off to the east. Whenever I ride this road, I like to duck off into the wash and just ride the rocky bottom for awhile until it re-connects with the road. This time Tami took the road, while I jumped off at a place I didn't know, and---- well, it didn't go so well. It ended up too full of willows and ledges and boulders to make it through. I was trying to pick my way down to the area I knew, when I ended up stuck. Bad. This is where something, say, half the weight of the 950 would be nice. I spent about 10 min. struggling with the pig in the wash, dripping with sweat, burning the tire and digging myself in deeper before I stopped and took a break. I figured I'd better think my way out rather than muscle my way out, cause the bike is alot heavier than I am. I eventually managed to get a big flat rock under the sidestand, lean the bike all the way over and pivot the bike around on the stand so I could go back out the way I came. Of course I didn't think to take a pic when the bike was really stuck, but here's one after I had gotten it partially out-

I hit the road for a short stretch, then when I came to the spot I was familiar with, I tried the wash again.

I love riding down the wash.... it has everything from deep sand to babyhead rocks to big boulders to bedrock ledges..... great practice for riding loose terrain. Some spots you can rip along at 40mph, then it's hard on the brakes as you drop off a new washout or squeeze between car sized boulders. I was having too much fun to get any good pics, but near the end I remembered to snap a shot... Of course this about the easiest place in the wash.