User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Irishchopper OP
Adventurer Commuter

Oddometer: 15
93' Dr650 ? Help!

HI. I've been lurking around for a few weeks looking to find out which duel sport to buy. Went from the Beemer, to the KLR, and I think I've come to like the DR650. Took a test drive after riding the rest and realy enjoyed it. It also seems to fit my personality.( I read so guys funny test on here some were and it cracked me up) I just moved to Northern Utah from SoCal and there are hundreds of miles of mountain roads litteraly(sp) in my back yard. I just sold my Harley so I could get out into these back roads.
So..I have a line on a 93' Dr650 with 10,000 on it. It was a commuter(sp) bike so I am told, kick only. Have only seen picks. But it looks real clean from what I can see. Does anyone own of ever have owned a pre96 bike and if so what are your impretions? Thanks in advance. By the way this is by far the best form on any subject I have ever been on, Sorry about the spelling.
Irishchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
I don't know a darn thing about DR's that old, but I'll bump your thread for ya.

Anyone?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,521
I have a 94. I love it! It runs really great and I personally would recommend a DR to ANYONE. Mine has about 20000 miles on it. I use it as a daily commuter bike 60 miles round trip. Plus I ride it hard nearly every weekend. I did thouroughly F up my clutch though..just recently. It was due to low oil and high temp. Not the bikes fault.

Get a corbin seat.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
hobnobber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
hey Irishchopper, I too am trying to decide between the klr and the dr 650.
I have ridden the dr and it is a great machine and appears very well made and has a bulletproof engine and reputation. I like to ride pretty leisurely so i am also looking at which one of these bikes will lug down and run well at low rpms when I just want chug around after work? I have an xt225 Yama and they all chug pretty good. I like the simplicity of the dr650 and have a line an an 06 with 900 miles for a good price. its a tough decision.
hobnobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Ray, does your bike have a kicker?

I may have a new toy next time I see you.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
I rode a 93 DR650 for several years with no problems. . Then one day my wife tells me to meet her at Malcolm Smith's store, there I was presented with my first LC4. Wow, everything I wanted my DR to be, stock from the factory.

Don't get me wrong, the DR is a reliable workhorse that NEVER left me walking, had good passing and cruising power and did ok at low speed offroading. I also commuted on mine everyday. The bike is way heavy for an enduro.

After a while I wanted to make the bike better to pick the pace up offroading, so I did my homework. Lets see $1,500 to make the forks work, $800 to replace the throw away shock, $600 for better brakes and $1,000 to pump the motor up. Now I would have a bike that's woth half what I would have in it and it still would be to heavy and still have a lot of wrong geometry.

A great bike until you want to start getting serious about picking up the pace in the dirt.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
I had a '92 kick only; wasn't too bad - a little heavy for tight stuff, but gobs of torque, and would run on the freeway at 80 mph all day long

these guys carry lotsa parts for them http://www.cyclepages.com/SearchResu...earch=3&type=5
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Like I said in the DR650 Thread, I ride a '92 DR. The pre-96ers came with bigger tanks, 4.4 gallons. And yeah, kick start only. I really like mine, if you get yours cheap you will too.

Alameda, great site.

Speaker screwed with this post 08-17-2006 at 07:51 PM
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #9
Irishchopper OP
Adventurer Commuter

Oddometer: 15
Hey thanks guys. I leave sat. to pick up the 93. I cant wait. Im done with the harleys. As for mods Im not to worried, Ive never owned a dirt bike and never been even on a loging road so Im sure I have years to learn before I can out preform the bike. Do you guy have any ideas on weather I should take the bike right in and have it given a check up, or should I just go ride the piss out of it? THE last owner seems to have taken great care with it. Speaking of riding the piss out of it. Do any of you know any riders in northern Utah. Id love to have someone to ride with up here, and to learn from. I am new to the area?

93 DR650
Irishchopper is offline   Reply With Quote