Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #1546
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
I guess I should do more R&R, but then I would have to charge more for my advice. I have found an old pvt pty add for Ohlins replacement shocks that appear to say DRZ shocks from 2000-2005 have an OA length of 459mm. 2006-2007 are 455 with both haveing a 135mm stroke. The DRZ 2005 SM has a 124mm stroke and might be the one of choice. Petrolburner, I think a taller bump stop would be a solution to your shock travel issues. If you take the clevis off you will need to let the nitrogen out to avoid the mess and protect the bladder.

The standard DRZ shock has more stroke than the stock KLX650c shock, hence more travel. Looks like my airbox has been knocked forward a bit also.

Myway you are correct. I had the same problem finding specific info on the DRZ shock when I asked. Now it boils down to wether you want to pay more for aftermarket suspension upgrades than the value of a 16 year old bike that has no aftermarket. I don't, so I will stick with what I have, because it serves its purpose as a trail bike capable of long hauls on pavement.

If someone can verify the longer bumpstop, post it up as I would like to install one also.

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 11:33 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #1547
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If someone can verify the longer bumpstop, post it up as I would like to install one also.
longer bumpstop means less shocktravel. Depends on the material, bump in 2/3 of the lenght, so does not solve the problem. it's the balance between all adjustment tools. One is wrong, we have a problem, by more than average use or a accident (hit that one hole in5 years)

i have 115 bone in it, mid axle to above side off the screw luggage rack C, is 620mm. a good sitting position an steering position.

by 135 mm 124 shockstroke, problems with airbox hitting it, and you must have the right spring because you can preload as much, when you a heavier then the problem is that you can only use a few mm preload, otherwise overstretching the spring.

normaly the chainaxle is by line 4 make your chain longer and you have more wheeltravel, by the airbox. X O ring stretch not so much.

0596 0696

See the diffrence between a 0596 80N/mm spring and a 85.!!!!!!!!!!! and then the 90.

Every spring has the same inside measurement but outside, thickness and amount off rounding are different.

Myway screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 01:59 AM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #1548
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Ok, I used my shock pump from my mountain bike racing days, it had 70 psi, so I bumped it up to 140. Took it for a ride, did some small jumps and didn't hit the airbox! So I think that was a small improvement. Still need a taller bump stop cause I colline to ride hard with my girl and camping gear on the back.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #1549
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
Because of the interest, I took the bike out. First serious ride on the KLX since Nov. I have to question my own post on what I found on the Internet re: shock stroke. As best I can measure on the bike, I got 118mm. That is still substantially different than the 82mm I measured on the stock shock. So I definitely have more travel than before. That should be a good thing if you are not wacking parts. I managed to bend parts and bottom with the stock shock when I had it.

I am not smart enough to calculate how much travel that equates at the wheel with linkages, rocker angles and differences in swingarm length. So to find out, some one would have take the spring off and mount the shock and check for yourself.

At one time I did have 122mm dogbones on the bike, but that was an attempt to deal with a 425lb spring (stock 7.2kg equivalant).
If I can find them I may put them back on to quicken the steering.

I did max the compression and rebound today and that made a major difference. It seemed pretty good with a 475 spring,

Today was about as Knarly as I get. Lots of rocks, potholes, washboards and washouts. I rode it at a fast pace and never stuffed it, got within a 1/2" of bottoming the shock. I am running a 130/80 T-63 which probably helps. Good enough for me. Good luck.

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 04:41 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #1550
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good enough for me.
nice

Myway screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 01:51 AM
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #1551
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Because of the interest, I took the spring out. Good luck.
More importent, did you have fun!!!!

What is your wheel travel?
By what bone?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #1552
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,492
A day at the Dunes.

Guys, I took Junior Fogo out today for some sand riding lessons at our local sand dunes so he can prepair himself for what he will encounter on our big two week desert trip later this year. He went really well being only 16yrs old and having only 2 minor crashes, one in front of everybody on the beach.
We had a ball, here are some pics.

Cheers Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #1553
elfdowney
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Baja Designs?

Just picked-up a '96 650R yesterday after lurking on this thread for awhile... I'd like to make it street legal and tag it... Earlier in the thread a Baja Designs Conversion Kit was the way to go... Went to their site but the 650R kit is no longer available... can I substitute one?... anyone make something similar?... anyone got one for sale?... any ideas?
elfdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #1554
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Wow Fogo, those are NOT sand tires!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #1555
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Sand tyres?

[CODE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolburner View Post
Wow Fogo, those are NOT sand tires!

Hey burner, from my experiance you dont need tyres with grip on beach sand if you have a 650. just keep changing up gears and "up it" if your engine is labouring it is getting grip. I have run new knobbies on the beach and felt no differance. If you run a paddle tyre that is sure to increase drive. All still fun, who wants to change tyres just to have half day of little bit more fun. Anyway can't make it to easy for the young fella.
Cheers Fogo...
Old 05-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #1556
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

nice place so in your backyard
Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #1557
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Yes Myway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
nice place so in your backyard
Yes Myway the sand dunes are about 45 minutes from my home.
We are very lucky in Australia, as there is many nice places to ride.
Cheers Fogo...
Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #1558
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post

Yes Myway the sand dunes are about 45 minutes from my home.
We are very lucky in Australia, as there is many nice places to ride.
Cheers Fogo...
i believe you have more bush too

Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #1559
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

[QUOTE=Myway;15971866]i believe you have more bush too

[/HTML]

Ehhhh I see you've been snooping Myway!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #1560
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Guess what good news.

Guys, KLX650R Acerbis tank rerun is ON. 15 tanks will be comming to Australia in a few months, place your order at the web site below.
Cheap too, $349.95 from OZ so it will be cheap enough to post from here world wide. place your deposit.
Cheers Fogo...

ONLINE STORE

NEW ARRIVALS Up-Dated 19/5/11
2010 GEAR CLEARANCE
CLEARANCE ITEMS Up-Dated 19/5/11
AUTOGRAPHED COLLECTABLES
MERCHANDISE

Rider Products

ARMOUR
BAGS
BOOTS
CASUAL APPAREL
DUAL ROAD / ADVENTURE
GLOVES
GOGGLES
GOGGLE ACCESSORIES
HELMETS
JACKETS
JERSEYS
KIDS GEAR
KNEE BRACE
MECHANICS GEAR / WORKSHOP
PANTS
PROTECTION
RIDER ACCESSORIES
ROAD GEAR

Bike Products

AIR FILTERS
ALLOY PARTS
BIKE ACCESSORIES
CARBON FIBRE PARTS
CHAIN GUIDES / SLIDERS
CLEANING PRODUCTS
DIGITAL GAUGES
DISC COVERS
EXHAUSTS
FENDERS
FOOT PEGS
FORK SEALS
FUEL TANKS
GRAPHICS / DECALS
GRIPS
HANDLEBARS
HAND GUARDS
HEADLIGHTS/TAILLIGHTS
LEVER CONTROLS
MISCELLANEOUS
TYRES & TUBES
PLASTICS
ROAD PRODUCTS
SEATS / SEAT COVERS/ SEAT FOAM
SHOCK PROTECTORS
SKID PLATES
STEERING STABILISERS
THROTTLES
TRIALS PRODUCTS
VINTAGE PRODUCTS
WHEEL SETS

MERCHANDISE

Acerbis Fuel Tank KLX650R 93-06 (Re-Run Pre-Orders Only)()

QTY:

Price:$349.95

After many years of this tank being discontinued by the factory, MX1 Australia has commissioned Acerbis Italia to make a special re-run production for the Australian market. We will only have a total of 15 tanks available and they are expected to arrive in Australia sometime between August and November 2011.

This is for pre-orders only as items will not be supplied until they arrive later this year.

Product Description
Acerbis 18L tank for Kawasaki KLX650R 1993-2006 models. Will not fit the C model.

Complete with fitting kit and fuel cap

Colour: Kawasaki Green (The green pictured does not represent actual colour. Tank is matched to KLX green)

Return to Product List

Acerbis Koerta Armour ***This Weeks Special*** This Week 30% Off Normally $199.95 This Week $139.97

Shopping Cart

Your Shopping Cart is Empty

Check Out With PayPal

Newsletter & Specials

Please fill in your details below if you would like to be on our mailing list for regular newsletters and special offers.

Name:
Email Address:
Retype Email: