Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #2491
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Had to change the cover on my seat. Here's the first attempt.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #2492
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67

Sold for $1000 with 21,000 miles. Fresh clutch change too...man I didn't even get to open it up on the main road after the clutch change. Was a whole new bike.

I have a brand new unused Dial-A-Jet kit if anyone is interested.

926 is the date of the little guys birthday in the back.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2493
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

PM sent on the dial-a-jet
Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #2494
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
PM sent on the dial-a-jet
Cam Chain Tensioner Mark asked first a while back. Lemme get in touch with him first. I also seem to remember ordering an accesory breather filter tube or something with it as well. I've since moved and I want to make sure I have all the parts to it. Everything should be right in the box in their little foam spots.

Also, regarding THAT portion of the thread, it was the clutch. Can't believe it took me that long to ID an ailing clutch.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #2495
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

I just replaced my clutch cable, now I have a weird low speed wobble. I think the cable may be "sticking" instead of sliding freely. Have any of you experienced this? I had also adjusted the chain at the same time. I double chcecked it and it is aligned properly and not too tight.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #2496
DaniGAS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
klx650 restore

A full-cleaning and painting of my klx650r. Also new rear fender included.
I installed the klx650C motor, but i don't know were can I installa the battery (I used the R airbox, but all C electrical sistem).

more photos soon!
DaniGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #2497
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
I just replaced my clutch cable, now I have a weird low speed wobble. I think the cable may be "sticking" instead of sliding freely. Have any of you experienced this? I had also adjusted the chain at the same time. I double chcecked it and it is aligned properly and not too tight.
Clutch cable sounds unrelated. How are your wheel bearings? What do you mean by a wobble?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #2498
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolburner View Post
Clutch cable sounds unrelated. How are your wheel bearings? What do you mean by a wobble?
I mean a wobble where the steering shakes when slowing down. It did not do this before changing the clutch cable.

I believe I did fix it. The OP had put some water hose (radiator type) over the clutch cable to protect it from the rad and exhaust. I removed a portion of it at the loops in front of the rad. It was not allowing the cable to slide and was pushing the steering to the left.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #2499
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

New bars, grips and clutch lever

Getting off my bike a few days ago, my leg got caught under a long package strapped to the cargo rack. I slipped and fell down, kicking the side stand out from under the bike. It fell hard, twisting the bars and breaking the clutch lever. Time to visit Motorcycle Superstore!

I ordered the cheap Fly Racing steel bars in 7/8". I had read years ago that steel was better for dampening vibes than aluminum, so I wanted the steel bars. These got good reviews and I figured that if I did not like it I could afford to replace it with a better set since they were only $18.99. The KX high bend is almost a perfect match for the OEM bars. So far, they are great, very little vibration when paired with the Moose pillow top grips I got. When I took off the Kawasaki OEM bars, I was surprised to see the ends of the bars were weighted. I did not really expect this, and it seemed to not affect the vibes very well. My mirrors were always foggy at speed.

I also ordered a Motion Pro clutch lever that was noted as being specific to my bike. Unfortunately, it is a generic replacement and does is not made to actuate the clutch safety switch. Not really a big deal, as I usually so not start the bike in gear (only when I have a broken clutch cable ).
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #2500
Matje
Matje

Oddometer: 61
Damping rubbers short life ?

Since a few weeks I am back on the road.
And I joined some short off-road trips. The new (second hand) engine performs well.
The cam chain tensioner appeared stuck at a fixed position. I converted it to a manual one. Now the engine runs without any rattling noise. It is often told that you should not worry when the engine of a KLX 650 makes rattling sounds. I do not believe that anymore.

But now the drive chain appeared very noisy. The front sprocket was rather sharp, so I changed the chain and the sprockets. Since I bought this bike, about a year ago, I have replaced or repaired now nearly all parts (except the frame and the wire harness). That means I can drive now some years without big trouble?

In changing the chain I noticed the rear sprocket has much play. The damper rubbers have worn already. I put new ones on 5000 km’s ago!
Is that normal???
I have to add that these 5k were a great deal off-road.

I mounted now the rubbers from my donorbike. That are the 6 separate rubbers. I believe these are the old model? These rubbers fit very tight, without any play on the sprocket.

I should like to have some comments on the life span of these damper rubbers (old and new model).

Matje
Matje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #2501
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,425
Both bikes are packed and we are off in the morning for a 1000 klm camping trip for the week end.

Yeehaw..............................

CheersFogo and Aaron....
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #2502
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,425
A little video of last weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppF0_GYD7E&feature=plcp
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #2503
johnnycombat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
KLX clutch cable

So ive got a 96 klx 650 and me needs a new clutch cable.....every shop in the area, Huntington Beach, CA, says its special order only and i get that due to nature of the bike........ Will any other cable from any other model work or am i stuck to special ordering one only??

HELP!!
johnnycombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #2504
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
The dealer should get you one, if not Bike Bandit, that is where I bought mine. If you need one in stock look at one for a KLX250/ KLX300. They look very similar. Bike Bandit has schematics of their parts, see what you think
Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #2505
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 685
I did a nice ride this weekend, covering about 500 road miles, and 300 off road and rutted forest roads. The bike did very well, with the exception of a few niggles.

1) I am losing oil at an alarming rate. Actually, my carbon footprint is screwed for life after this ride. I made a catch can to route the crankcase breather hose in, and it is not coming from there at all.

There is no leakage at all, unless the motor is running. The previous owner had already screwed up the oil drain bolt threads, and it currently holds a standard 1/2" bolt, pretty wobbly. This certainly needs to be addressed.

I am thinking about JB welding the 1/2" bolt in, after I drill and tap right through it, and make a Dorman style piggyback bolt, unless anyone knows of an m12x1.75 double oversize, or 1/2" oversize piggyback bolt that already exists.

I am definitely losing oil through the counter shaft seal, so that needs replacing, as well as the shift shaft seal.

My shift shaft is also very wobbly, and I suspect that the needle bearing is busted, so here is another question. Has anyone ever removed that needle bearing without splitting the cases?

2) 14/49 gearing sucks on the highway if you only have 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. So the tank certainly needs to be replaced with the acerbis one, but also, I'm considering putting a 16T front sprocket on. This will make the gearing about 15% taller overall.
I already find first gear to be too short for any real use, unless you're going up very steep trails. Does anyone run 16/49 (or equivalent) gearing on their "R"?
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote