User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #2611
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Condenser? What's it do?

So I finally seem to have made headway on getting the title to my R! It should be here after New Years!
Not having the title has kept me from working on the bike. Didn't want to fix something, just to end up parting it out. May still part it out if I can't get it going without spending too much.
So to my question....What is the condenser and what does it do? Or maybe I should ask, will it keep the bike from running?
I see two wires coming out, one is broken. I found one on E-bay for $30. A new one from Bike Bandit is $60. Looking at the parts drawing, I realize it is part of the generator system, and am hoping this is why it won't run or give spark. Is a used one OK or should I avoid it and buy a new one?
Electrical is obviously not my strong point. I've always been a maintenance mechanic, learning as I break or need to replace something, and that is usually mechanical not electrical.
So learn me, please.
And TIA.
Hey Fogo, how was the Longest Day Ride? Was wondering how far you got. Hope you didn't run into any Emus, again.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #2612
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Muffler

Anybody know who makes an aftermarket muffler for the KLX 650? I would like to find a new one.
Wentjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #2613
nejauks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
You can use any of the 1000cc bike or any of 450cc motocross. Then adjust the carburetor and air filter system.
nejauks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #2614
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Anybody know who makes an aftermarket muffler for the KLX 650? I would like to find a new one.

Pro Circuit T 4. On their home page they appear to have the same muffler for both the KLR and KLX, so maybe interchangeable.

I have a Scorpion that I picked up on Ebay several years ago. Looks like a straight through muffler but is not. I am not sure they are available in the US
Old 12-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #2615
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
So I finally seem to have made headway on getting the title to my R! It should be here after New Years!
Not having the title has kept me from working on the bike. Didn't want to fix something, just to end up parting it out. May still part it out if I can't get it going without spending too much.
So to my question....What is the condenser and what does it do? Or maybe I should ask, will it keep the bike from running?
I see two wires coming out, one is broken. I found one on E-bay for $30. A new one from Bike Bandit is $60. Looking at the parts drawing, I realize it is part of the generator system, and am hoping this is why it won't run or give spark. Is a used one OK or should I avoid it and buy a new one?
Electrical is obviously not my strong point. I've always been a maintenance mechanic, learning as I break or need to replace something, and that is usually mechanical not electrical.
So learn me, please.
And TIA.
Hey Fogo, how was the Longest Day Ride? Was wondering how far you got. Hope you didn't run into any Emus,
again.
Hi, I had a great ride, 840 klms in 7 hours, the guys I was riding with set a new Australian record of 1670 klms from sunrise to sunset, at the 840 klm mark my bike popped out the front sprocket shaft seal again in two weeks , dumped the engine oil out and seized the engine, stranded on the side of the road, a mate had to drive his pick up truck 7 hours to come rescue me. I was fastest bike on the day, catching the front leaders.
Check out the video footage. last page.

Cheers Fogo.

Capacitor is a mini battery that temperory stores electrical charge so its purpose is to smooth out the flickering of the electrical pulses of the magneto so the headlight looks smooth. bike will run without one.
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #2616
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #2617
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Pro Circuit T 4. On their home page they appear to have the same muffler for both the KLR and KLX, so maybe interchangeable.

I have a Scorpion that I picked up on Ebay several years ago. Looks like a straight through muffler but is not. I am not sure they are available in the US
ITSATDM, can you explain to me why you are supose to time the lower cam chain, going to an idler gear I dont see the need and have never done it. If the crank is on the mark and the cams are aligned the chain does nothing more, it does not run a balancer shaft or anything, maybe Kawasaki do it so it sets up a hunting gear on the intermediate gear. any ideas? And could my front sprocket shaft seal be getting popped out due to excess engine oil pressure pushing against the seal. help needed.

Cheers Fogo
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #2618
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
ITSATDM, can you explain to me why you are supose to time the lower cam chain, going to an idler gear I dont see the need and have never done it. If the crank is on the mark and the cams are aligned the chain does nothing more, it does not run a balancer shaft or anything, maybe Kawasaki do it so it sets up a hunting gear on the intermediate gear. any ideas? And could my front sprocket shaft seal be getting popped out due to excess engine oil pressure pushing against the seal. help needed.

Cheers Fogo
I recently purchased an extra 650 tat the guy said would not hold a countershaft seal, said each new one would pop out or leak right away.. I found out he was putting in three quarts of oil. I drained , replaced the seal and filled to the proper level and it works fine.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #2619
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:

Cheers Fogo
That does not sound like a great ride to me. Sorry about the malfunction.

I do not know how many links are in the bottom chain, but once you line up the dots on the bottom sprocket and the intermediate sprocket, there should be 21 links on the back side portion of the chain between the marks(tensioner side).

The manual shows placing the intermediate gear tooth mark (facing up) between the 21 and 22nd link counting up from the bottom mark on the crank gear, on the back side of the engine.

No photo, but a line drawing makes it appear, that there are more links on the tensioner side of the engine than on the front. Made sense at the time, as the tensioner is putting a bow into the chain and the front is getting pulled in a straight line.
The top chain does not matter.

The manual spends a page and a half, complete with pictures, so it seemed important. That is the way I did it. Now that I think about it, if you pull the top chain tight on the exhaust side, it should do the same to the bottom chain and the results ought to be the same, assuming you have your guides installed and timing marks don't move. . Unless you are off a 1/2 tooth.

I can't help you with the seal problem, but it does sound like pressure. I did the loop thingy off my valve cover back to the airbox and never get any oil misting in it. Some have installed check valves and I always wondered if that was a good idea. I am not sure that has any bearing on the pressure in the lower engine.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 11:08 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #2620
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Electrical Question

Does anybody know if I can run a 70W HID light with the factory stator? I want to put the trail tech light on the front.
Wentjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #2621
DaniGAS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

This is EXACTLY what I need to know, if it's possible to mount a klR650 muffler on a klX650. They are both similar, but maybe it's not an easy fitting...

Anyone can help?
There are more klR muffler options than klX
DaniGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #2622
redneckrocket38
Mopar/Kawi Kid

Oddometer: 29
I have the t-4 and I really like it but its really loud. It was worth the money because pro circuit makes some quality products and this one delivered on that. I ride 80% on road so noise factor isn't to important but in a lot of state riding areas they have noise restrictions.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #2623
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Procircuit T-4. I don't remember the part number. It was a beast.

Check the Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited catalog. As of I believe last year Parts Unlimited was still listing the pipe in their book.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #2624
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I have a brand new unused Dial-A-Jet kit I had bought for my 93 C.

Turns out I was an idiot and had a really worn clutch, not a faulty carb. Replaced the clutch and holy crap...then sold the bike a day later.

I'm in Austin, TX. I'm cool with Paypal transfer or if you're local come get it!

Name a fair price.

Some 19 year old girl totaled my parked car last week. Now I'm upside down on that totalled car and need some cash for rent next week.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #2625
Knobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniGAS View Post
This is EXACTLY what I need to know, if it's possible to mount a klR650 muffler on a klX650. They are both similar, but maybe it's not an easy fitting...

Anyone can help?
There are more klR muffler options than klX
The rear mount matches up on my DG O-series. I took it off my KLR. The KLX header flange is much larger than the DG mid-pipe. I think I have it whipped. I'm using a emgo muffler reducer. I've bolted it up, but not yet installed as I'm doing the DRZ shock swap. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing for a support, but it won't be too hard to fab a clamp.

Cheers'
Tom.