Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #781
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Yes you could use the original front turn signals,but I had purchased
brighter,smaller LED'S with a flexable stalk.Using flat aluminum bar
moved them up 50mm to clear the R model tank.The previous pic
shows the C model has cutouts for the stock signals.I have been able
to get 160miles per tankfull highway travel before switching to reserve.
Stock steel C tank 85-95 miles to reserve.I do wish the R tank was
available in dif colors.Oh well...David...'94 C
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #782
fle
evil ninja knight

Oddometer: 166
Hey buddies!

I started to work in a prototype manufacturing company so I think I'll wait for more knowledge and maybe I'll make my own tank I'm not sure yet but in winter I'll have plenty of time to think about it...
Tomorrow, the disassembling begins. I want my baby perfectly fit for the next trip.

I'm thinking about the saying "Loud pipes save lifes" and probably will change the original fat one. Do anybody know if the R model pipe (I mean just the slip on part) fit the C model pipe???

Cheers
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #783
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by fle
Hey buddies!

I'm thinking about the saying "Loud pipes save lifes" and probably will change the original fat one. Do anybody know if the R model pipe (I mean just the slip on part) fit the C model pipe???

Cheers
In your country maybe no problem i can not believe that.
But here is loudness an issue, riders starting to choose for quit pipes.
Because we wanna ride for a long time.

When slovenia is with the EU, they have to obbey the EU rules, and in nature there are new rules, so homegoverment have to make new rule for natur behaviour, Loud pipes is there a big issue.

When you wanna ride with me than no loud pipes, and we have as much fun those days. So why.

R pipe is one of the best pipes for the R!! But do not look that glamy.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #784
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365924

There is no way you can relocate the orig. turnsignals, only you can us small ones.

Her the c tank has a hole for the turnsignal

Thanks for the picture!!!

The r tank has 17 liter the C tank has 19 liter according to what acerbis says.
KLX 650R 17 Liter ArtNr. AC15-91 (grün)
KLX 650C 19 Liter ArtNr. AC15-92 (schwarz)

Org C tank 12 l

Because the petcock is higher and the carb is higher you do not get all the fuel out. So what do you win when you compare it with a C steel tank.

Hey thats my bike
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #785
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,605
Couple of questions for the KLX650 gurus:

The left side engine cover, the part that says "Kawasaki" on it...is that the "generator cover"? That's how it's labeled on bikebandit. I'm looking at a 93 KLX and that part is cracked and leaking oil. It's $176 on bikebandit. Any good places to source that part cheaper?
BHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #786
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW

The left side engine cover, the part that says "Kawasaki" on it...is that the "generator cover"? That's how it's labeled on bikebandit. I'm looking at a 93 KLX and that part is cracked and leaking oil. It's $176 on bikebandit. Any good places to source that part cheaper?
yes, that's the cover which houses the stator and covers the flywheel. there is a another cover on that side, that is the "transmission cover". it houses bearing for the shift lever. I was able to find a transmission cover on fleabay for around $20 (list for $76, I think), so perhaps the generator cover could be gotten there as well.

you could possibly "fix" it temporarily until you find a cheaper one with some quick steel or jb weld. make sure you clean it really well (i.e. sand the area around it) and degrease with acetone or equiv. you might have to drain the oil, depending on where the crack is to make the repair.

I don't know if the cover has magnesium in it. if not, you might be able to take it to a welding shop that specializes in aluminium to weld it for you. I had my aluminium radiator repaired, and it turned out nice. shops that make aviations repairs usually have the expertise to do this.

parts for this bike from kawa$aki are expensive and sometimes take a long time to order.

cynicwanderer screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 05:08 PM
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #787
williefast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW

Hey welcome KLXer. JB weld has worked for me in the past on other bikes. If you do take off the cover though will you do me a favor and take a picture of the stator and measure it for me??
As for my heated gear dreams I figured out if I run an LED taillight bulb, 35w headlight bulb and took out the license light (for now) I get good heat in the grips and the jacket works too. I still would like to upgrade the stator if possible
williefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #788
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
how many watts is your heated gear ? I have friends who run heated vests and grips (I don't know if at the same time) on klr650's all the time with the stock stator. if the stator has the same output on the klx, then I don't see why it would be a problem, unless you have a weak regulator or there is something else wrong with it that is dragging the reg. down. is your battery dead/weak ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williefast
Hey welcome KLXer. JB weld has worked for me in the past on other bikes. If you do take off the cover though will you do me a favor and take a picture of the stator and measure it for me??
As for my heated gear dreams I figured out if I run an LED taillight bulb, 35w headlight bulb and took out the license light (for now) I get good heat in the grips and the jacket works too. I still would like to upgrade the stator if possible
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #789
fle
evil ninja knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway
In your country maybe no problem i can not believe that.
But here is loudness an issue, riders starting to choose for quit pipes.
Because we wanna ride for a long time.

When slovenia is with the EU, they have to obbey the EU rules, and in nature there are new rules, so homegoverment have to make new rule for natur behaviour, Loud pipes is there a big issue.

When you wanna ride with me than no loud pipes, and we have as much fun those days. So why.

R pipe is one of the best pipes for the R!! But do not look that glamy.
I Slovenia the limit is 86-89db, it depends from the veichle. And we're part of the EU since 2004 so probably we all have the same laws more or less.
I agree with you if we are talking about rides in the nature, but if you are riding in a confused city (New Delhi, Marrakech etc.) I think that being noticeable in such confusion is improving your safety very much.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #790
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
A normal C model has 84 dB a R model 86 dB.
http://www.mag-nl.org/geluid/kawasaki.html
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #791
williefast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer
how many watts is your heated gear ? I have friends who run heated vests and grips (I don't know if at the same time) on klr650's all the time with the stock stator. if the stator has the same output on the klx, then I don't see why it would be a problem, unless you have a weak regulator or there is something else wrong with it that is dragging the reg. down. is your battery dead/weak ?
I am running a gerbings jacket liner and symco grip heaters. I have the same setup on my streetbike and it heats so good I get hot even when temps are in the 20f range. On the KLX the jacket heats up but the grips cool down. the grips draw 20w and the jacket draws 6.8 amps. I think the lights will help me I'll let you all know and post some pics of the KLX in the snow this winter
williefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #792
KillaKLXRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
1996 Klx 650

Hello everyone. I just bought a 1996 KLX 650 and I do not know much about it. I have been looking all over and I found this forum and the yahoo one (I joined both). I was not able to attach any pics of it but I have them if anyone knows why I cannot attach them. It runs great and starts on the first kick. I am a noob KLX owner so please take that into consideration. Is there anyway to fit it with an electric start system? I have noticed that many of the pics I have seen show them with turn signals but mine does not have them. Is it difficult to add them back on? Do you have any suggestions on a good turn signal kit? Also, There is a hose that come out of the bottom of the carb that leaks gas while it is not on sometimes. Any ideas on why this is? Thank you for any help you can offer. I am very excited about my KLX.
Austin
KillaKLXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #793
fle
evil ninja knight

KillaKLXRider, I don't know about the turn signals, I have the original, round ones.
About the leaking, try to turn the petcock off, it solves the problem on my bike, because the hose there, as I understand is intended to drain your carb from excessive gas/water etc.
I hope it helps.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #794
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Welcome to the KLX650 family.As someone on the KLX.yahoo group suggested try to find a C model engine or the lower cases.I think it would be very expensive and time consuming to convert an R model to electric start.
Obtaining the necessary parts for a model almost 15 years out of production would be difficult.Hopefully somebody might be parting out a C model where you could get the engine or cases.I will watch for your posts for progress on this project....David ...'94 C
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #795
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,002
KLX riders, if you want some good replacement signals to take the place of the stock "lollipops" consider getting some Buell Ulysses signals before they're all gone. They look good and have a flexible stem. They're far better than any aftermarket crap. The bulbs pull a bit more power because they're higher wattage than some stock ones, so a no-load automobile relay is needed. I put them on the Zephyr and will be getting a set for the KLX. My originals are starting to crack on the stems and the last ONE i bought cost MORE than TWO of the Buell signals. It was a repop at $35, the Buells were $32 for two of them.

At Farrow's HD, just north of Columbus at I-71/SR36 interchange, the parts guy knew exactly what I wanted. He said a lot of dual sport guys bought them due to looks, price, and flexibility. I should have gotten them in the first place after I went through two sets of cheapies. One was a set of Lockhart signals, I wrote them and got no reply... no more from Lockhart. I won't deal with them if they don't care to even write to say yes or no.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote