Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #796
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,431
Wink KLX650R electric start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKLXRider
Hello everyone. I just bought a 1996 KLX 650 and I do not know much about it. I have been looking all over and I found this forum and the yahoo one (I joined both). I was not able to attach any pics of it but I have them if anyone knows why I cannot attach them. It runs great and starts on the first kick. I am a noob KLX owner so please take that into consideration. Is there anyway to fit it with an electric start system? I have noticed that many of the pics I have seen show them with turn signals but mine does not have them. Is it difficult to add them back on? Do you have any suggestions on a good turn signal kit? Also, There is a hose that come out of the bottom of the carb that leaks gas while it is not on sometimes. Any ideas on why this is? Thank you for any help you can offer. I am very excited about my KLX.
Austin

Hi, I have a KLX 650R that I have converted to electric start, The KLX 650R and the KLX650C are nearly the same engine bar a few internals, I found a complete second hand engine on Ebay that had broke a cam chain. A C engine will bolt straight into a R frame. Remove the coolant tank behind the left hand side cover and fit a battery box in there from a DRZ 400. Replace the piston with a Wossner +2mm over size piston and get the cylinder bored out to a make it a 680cc and you have an electric start screaming KLX. Cheers. Fogo......
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #797
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by williefast
I am running a gerbings jacket liner and symco grip heaters. I have the same setup on my streetbike and it heats so good I get hot even when temps are in the 20f range. On the KLX the jacket heats up but the grips cool down. the grips draw 20w and the jacket draws 6.8 amps. I think the lights will help me I'll let you all know and post some pics of the KLX in the snow this winter

A KLX650C has a rated alternator output of 240W or 17A @ 14V. That should be plenty to run heated gear. I figure the headlight draws 55W or 5A, the tailight 20W/2A, all the other stuff another 15W/1A or so. That leaves 150W/9.5A to keep the battery charged and to run heated gear and other accessories. Should be plenty. If you switched to a LED taillight you could save 1.5A or so. Just leave your 200W boombox at home.

Klaus
Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #798
williefast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTKlaus
A KLX650C has a rated alternator output of 240W or 17A @ 14V. That should be plenty to run heated gear. I figure the headlight draws 55W or 5A, the tailight 20W/2A, all the other stuff another 15W/1A or so. That leaves 150W/9.5A to keep the battery charged and to run heated gear and other accessories. Should be plenty. If you switched to a LED taillight you could save 1.5A or so. Just leave your 200W boombox at home.

Klaus
Its all working now. There is barely enough. The grips I am using draw a lot. may switch to heated gloves. If my math is correct my jacket on high draws 6.8 amps and grips 20w/2amps thats 8.8amps. not much left but enough cant wait to try this thing in the snow! any tire suggestions?
williefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #799
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
keep in mind that the alternator ratings are not at idle (i.e. more like 4000rpm) so it's likely that the light will sag at idle, especially if the battery isn't charged, when all the heated accessories are plugged in and on.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #800
williefast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer
keep in mind that the alternator ratings are not at idle (i.e. more like 4000rpm) so it's likely that the light will sag at idle, especially if the battery isn't charged, when all the heated accessories are plugged in and on.
yup just what ive been complaining of. I am using all of the charging sys. when not cruising down a long stretch at 50mph+ it aint quite enough. but if I hold it at 70 or better it heats like crazy oh well I know what I am dealing with now and will try to make the best of it
williefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #801
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 766
Looking for KLX650C Stock Tailight Lens

Just got back from the Fuzzy Beaver Rally in Murphy NC. Had over 40 DS riders show up. Stopped on a trail to help a stranded rider and got rear ended by a KLR 650. No damage other than a broken tailight lens. Any suggestion for sourcing just a tailight lens? I already checked Flea Bay and no luck.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #802
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Finally ordered a spring to go with the DRZ shock I got a while back. Hyper coiil 10" and 2.5" inner diamater 500# from eshocks.com

Bike is getting a slight overhaul, new sprockets/chain, new brake pads and fluid, new fork oil.

Do you think 10w fork oil is too much? OEM for the C1 is 5w.

Can't wait to tear through some metal with the toolkit removal....
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #803
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
I just put a wilbers promoto progresive spring in the front fork.
All spring manufactures advice sae 10 and a 100mm airchamber in te fork.

I measured the free sag with the original c spring, it was too much sag. So a another spring.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #804
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
After a long/short highway ride 120miles( depending on your opinion of long dual-sport ride)to visit/meet itsatdm purchase sidepanel tank for add. fuel cap.
on Dunlop 606 tires,the end cap on my SuperTrapp Aluminum exhaust overheated blew off 1/3 of the cap.Running 6 discs ,low gearing 14/50, higher RPM highway run I'm guessing it got hot enough with back-pressure to blow off 1/3 of the cap relieve that pressure at high RPM. Looking for a SS 4" end cap.Summitracing has one at $20 delivered.What's your opinion stay with the aluminum @4oz..or SS@1.8 0z.Nevermind ,it's going to be the SS,cheaper less weight will not explode after overheating.Anyone have this happen before.Other bikes with the Supertrapps. Will run at least 8 discs next time.
Thanks for your opinions and replies...David '94 KLX 650C
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #805
rossthompson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I just wanted to pimp my for sale thread in the flea market of my KLX.

Part of me hopes it won't sell since it is a badass bike!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524495
rossthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #806
Mike JRA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
It's a nice looking bike, why not motard it?

06 KLR
81 GL1100 naked
80 XL185
Mike JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #807
rossthompson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I have considered making it a motard since I have some wheels buti made the mistake of riding a Husqvarna smr450. It felt 100lbs lighter, probably because it is.

If nobody buys it I will probably reconsider.
rossthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #808
je2000
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossthompson
I have considered making it a motard since I have some wheels buti made the mistake of riding a Husqvarna smr450. It felt 100lbs lighter, probably because it is.

If nobody buys it I will probably reconsider.
You wanna sell the wheels?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #809
je2000
Adventurer

I was hoping this DRZ shock spring was as easy to remove as my KLX 250 spring. Slide the bumper down, slide the cup thingy down, slide the cup thingy off the shock via the open groove, slide the spring off. Hardest part is loosening the nuts on the top.

This one has no open groove. I know I need to separate the two pieces but I'm not sure how to. The cup feels like one solid piece but I know there is a clip in there somewhere I need to get at in order to get this spring off. I've got the spring loose on the shock, and the bumper pulled down/up (depends on how you hold the shock).

Now what?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #810
mcc66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Looking at buying replacement spring for DRZ400 shock I just picked up. Any further comments abouts springs/spring rates- should you have gone harder/softer. Have sent emails to eshocks for postage quotes to AUSTRALIA. Hope to have shock sorted soon and get bike back on the road.
mcc66
Michael
mcc66 is offline   Reply With Quote