"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #92
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLost
...since I think the Acerbis thing is a lost cause?
if you want I can sell mine for KLX 650r never mounted, brand new for € 150 plus expedition costs from Italy
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #93
DrLost
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaja
if you want I can sell mine for KLX 650r never mounted, brand new for € 150 plus expedition costs from Italy
I have a C model. Thanks though. No if you have a C tank...
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #94
Posaja
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLost
I have a C model. Thanks though. No if you have a C tank...
I have it but it's for my C version, I'm sorry Idont sell it
If I ear around for another I'll let U know, ok?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 AM   #95
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
S'pose a pic of one wouldn't hurt.
Hey Davo, Thats my Ducati in the background. I assume that was taken at the motorcycle awareness ride last year?

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #96
DrLost
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaja
I have it but it's for my C version, I'm sorry Idont sell it
If I ear around for another I'll let U know, ok?
You'd be my hero if you found an Acerbis for the C model for me. Black and Tans to you!

Dr. Lost
Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #97
Hayden#69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
BAKE.

That is actually my KLX in your picture. I remember your Black BMW. I think that was the only time I rode the KLX to the Casssody gathering. I didnt get rid of my XRL though. Still have my 94 XR and added an 04 Plated XRR.

My KLX is the only one around here that I know of. There is a guy from Hutchinson Ks. who is a principal for Wichita school that has a 93 I believe. I see him out at Cassody about every month.

I still have my KLX and its up on blocks and winterized for now. I took off all the plastic, sanded it down and made it shine again. New stickers and a Works Performance rear shock went on this year. Just did a valve adjustment with all new gaskets etc. It runs great and looks even better. I found mine on Ebay after a guy pulled it out of a storage unit in Vegas. Been sitting in there for 10 years. Flew out and rode it 1300 miles back to Kansas from AZ. I now have 10K on it and I have over $4000 invested. Its so neat and rare I hate to get rid of it but I have thought about selling it this winter.

Hayden.
Hayden#69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #98
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Bad gas or a well setup KLX650R may be for sale!

Strange and twisted store, but here goes...

Begins three months ago when Ricardo sends me a Craigslist post for a basket case KLX650R. Bike was in pieces, but nearly complete with new rings, piston and some other stuff to get it running again. I'm thinking about buying for a parts bike when Ricky informs me that he's buying it for his GF. Are you nuts, she's gunna kick start a 650 and learn to ride? Who's fooling who here? Well, she buys it. A month or so later yours truly trailers the bike to the house to get her going.

Needed a carb (which I had spare), an ignition coil, tires, chain, sprocket and a bunch of other little do-dads but everything works and the engine is all cleaned, overhauled and looking pretty good. I spend a couple of weekends with Ricky putting together the pieces and getting ready for a first run. transfered some gas from the GS. Looks like we're ready. We took turns kicking that bitch about twenty or thirty times and after not so much as a small pop, she came to life. Runs great. Motor is strong. Even the spare carb seems to be setup just about perfect. Fantastic!!!!

Well, the GF likes the bike, even spins around a parking lot a few times. Problem is, tall seat and 650cc of displacement on a kick start are not gunna make for long term happiness in Ricky land. She should have chosen a different bike. Well, she may have found a fellow ADVrider to make a trade with. We'll see.

Next chapter, this blessed bike runs beautifully, but won't start for shit. Only way to get the cold beast moving seems to be to bump start on one of SF's famous downhill slopes. that's not a long term formula for success. What could be the issue?? Ricky and I go through the whole mess over again. Got spark, check. Compression release, check. Valve clearance, check. Cam timing, check. Day-um. We bump the bike again, and Ricky rides home with his tail between the legs. Half hour later, I'm scouring the Yahoo KLX list for hard start issues. I spot a post saying that every time the guy's bike sits for a month it won't start. Problem turns out to be, high test gas runs out of punch after a few weeks of sitting in a half empty tank. Voilà, I got the gas out of my PD tank which has been sitting on the garage floor for over six months now. Give Ricky the bad news (good news actually). He freshens things up and the beast starts on the first kick.

Moral of the story, don't try to kick-start a bike with old gas in it. Drain the bowls and give it a fresh batch. At minimum, don't expect it to light right up until it's warm.

If the trade doesn't work out, this well used but nicely freshened KLX650R may be available FS. PM Ricky if interested.

-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 11-17-2006 at 04:24 PM
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #99
ez__rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
howdy!

so I'm looking for some info here on market value.
I have a 1996 KLX650r for sale. It's VERY clean, with new Kenda K270's and a (dida?) chain this summer. I'm the second owner. starts quick and runs great. it's all titled with the Baja Designs full light kit.

so I'm wondering what the bike is worth. yes, it's for sale on another post!

PM me if you can help, or you're interested in it. Thanks!
Attached Images

ez__rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #100
bfreehill
rally man

Oddometer: 24
WTB klx650C wheel set or just the hubs

hey fellow KLX650 people, I want to build up an extra set of wheels. anyone have any klx650C wheel sets or just the hubs?

Thanks,
Brooks
Attached Images

bfreehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #101
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez__rider
so I'm wondering what the bike is worth. yes, it's for sale on another post!
Here in CA with the plate, you'd be talking anywhere from $2500-3000. Plate on a ten year old bike is worth prolly 500. Don't know if that has value beyond the kit in you state.

Bike looks fantastic!

btw, I haven't looked at your FS post, so I don't know what your thinking at all.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #102
Posaja
Adventurer

Here I em, that's me on the new KLX450r
Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #103
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,304
Posaja, I'll bet your already planning trick mods.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 AM   #104
Hollywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Posaja,

2 questions:

1) The tank you have, is it for the KLX650r? Mine is a 96. What is the capacity? Color? How much?

2) What rear fender will work on the back of the KLX650r to replace the stock one? I want a KX, or flat fender to put a different taillight on.

thanks.
Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #105
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Won't work. A plate in MI is no good in CA ,and it's now illegal to convert to dual-sport. Hence the premium paid for plated bikes.

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Here in CA with the plate, you'd be talking anywhere from $2500-3000. Plate on a ten year old bike is worth prolly 500. Don't know if that has value beyond the kit in you state.

Bike looks fantastic!

btw, I haven't looked at your FS post, so I don't know what your thinking at all.