ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #1801
cruton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #1802
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueMAN View Post
Darkhorse, google Earth comes up with Beartooth Pass's in TX, FL, MD and WY, which one were you at?
It does look great, isolated.
that looks like the one in Montana, just South of Redlodge...
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #1803
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
This photo demonstrates the spirit of a true "dual sport" motorcycle, as my bike carried my lightweight raft to this campground at Salmon Lake outside of Nome, Alaska.

I'd love to learn more about your raft--who made it, model, price, how much does it way when packed, does it pack reasonably small on the bike, etc. What paddle is this, is it a 4-piece? Sorry for the numerous questions, but I am very much interested in having a packable raft while motorcycling.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #1804
Christian RA40XT
Don't Panic!

Oddometer: 120
Washing Day at Färöer ...

Christian RA40XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #1805
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,901
Neat tent... what is it ?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #1806
Christian RA40XT
Don't Panic!

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Neat tent... what is it ?

It' s a "Wechsel Summit Unlimited" ... from the german Tent Manufactur "Wechsel Tents" from Berlin ...
I like this tent very much. It's very stable exspecially during high wind speed and it got lots of space inside.

Here is a pic of the tent from another angle...

Christian RA40XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #1807
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,142
Packraft Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I'd love to learn more about your raft--who made it, model, price, how much does it way when packed, does it pack reasonably small on the bike, etc. What paddle is this, is it a 4-piece? Sorry for the numerous questions, but I am very much interested in having a packable raft while motorcycling.
I bought my Alpacka pack raft three summers ago when I was training to do a 140-mile wilderness backpack trip that required having a lightweight raft like this to float a few rivers and make some wide creek crossings. These are the cadillac rafts for doing backcountry exploration so they're pretty expensive.They are very durable and I have gone over rocks that I thought for sure would pop my raft - but nothing happened. They're actually quite fun and versatile, although they can also be dangerous in high spring-melt water or creeks like ours that have countless downed trees waiting to sweep you under.

I bought the Yukon Yak model as it is more stable when you have to carry heavy packs, or if you want to carry your mountain bike. My raft has a spray skirt, which adds a little to the weight and more to the cost, but it sure help keeps water out when you go through rapids! My paddle breaks down to four pieces and I bought it from REI but it's the same paddle you can buy from Alpacka. There are paddles that are more lightweight, but they're more expensive.

The raft itself weighs around 5.5 pounds (less than 6 pounds). One time I weighed my raft, paddles, PFD and waterproof gear and it was around 12 pounds. I'm slowly preparing a ride report about a recent trip to Nome and there are (or will be) photos of my bike with the black duffel bag I used for the raft, as well as some other camping gear. I also have a bicycle rack for my bike and someday I want to load my bicycle and packraft on my motorcycle and do a float trip using my two bikes to at the put in and take out spots. That will be sweet!!

Here's a link to the company that makes these rafts. These rafts were first built in Alaska to be used by ultra-athletes competing in the extremely challenging Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic race (approximately 140-150 miles) and they demand the best and lightest of everything they use.

www.alpackaraft.com

Here's a photo of my bike with just the packraft on the back. I have a bigger duffel bag that carries, the paddles & PFD>

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795

HayDuchessLives screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 11:37 AM Reason: Included a photo
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #1808
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Island of Mageroya. Camped just 27 road kms south of North Cape. Europe's northernmost point ;-)

MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #1809
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
The Angel Inn campsite.......

Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #1810
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
The Angel Inn campsite.......

Guy Fawks' day off?
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #1811
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
My buddy and I went to a children's benefit/fundraiser/biker party this past weekend. (drank way too much whiskey!)

We both pull Kwik-Kamp motorcycle campers behind our bikes. But I also like to set-up my 10' x 10' EZ-Up with the zip on walls, and nose my trailer door just inside the wall...so we both did this.

the Taj' Mahal of motorcycle camping, complete with cabin, 2 separate bedrooms, carpeting, tables, chairs, complete kitchen, lighting, and a bar.....all brought to the runsite on 2 motorcycles!! (we don't fool around)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #1812
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Only missing a couple items... Red light and a brass pole!

Sweet set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
My buddy and I went to a children's benefit/fundraiser/biker party this past weekend. (drank way too much whiskey!)

We both pull Kwik-Kamp motorcycle campers behind our bikes. But I also like to set-up my 10' x 10' EZ-Up with the zip on walls, and nose my trailer door just inside the wall...so we both did this.

the Taj' Mahal of motorcycle camping, complete with cabin, 2 separate bedrooms, carpeting, tables, chairs, complete kitchen, lighting, and a bar.....all brought to the runsite on 2 motorcycles!! (we don't fool around)

steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #1813
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,196
There have been some fantastic photos in this thread, but this, this is just so far over the top. You guys really know how to do up a camp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #1814
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Only missing a couple items... Red light and a brass pole!

Sweet set up!
Ugh!!!!! I KNEW we forgot something!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
There have been some fantastic photos in this thread, but this, this is just so far over the top. You guys really know how to do up a camp!
Thankyou Kind Sirs!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #1815
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I've stayed in smaller hotels! nice work trailer towing dudes