ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #1246
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,858
San Simeon State Park, CA. Washburn Campground.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #1247
ScottFree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Last September...

Along the Current River in Missouri. The $5/night campsite (seven minute walk from the shower building; bring a flashlight 'cause it's black as pitch at night) is on a gravel bar that I strongly suspect becomes an island in times of high water.

Yes that's a Harley bagger. It is surprisingly good at crossing the loose pebbles in the river-bottom channel on the way into this campsite. Just point it straight and let Isaac Newton do the driving (as Jim Lovell said on Apollo 13...)

To add some adventure bike content (and use his senior-citizen pass to reduce the campsite rate to $2.50 a night), friend Stan joined me on his Buell Ulysses:

The site is eight miles from Eminence. About ten minutes by curvaceous MO roads 106 and V, about three hours by kayak.

Well there it is, my first post. In the words of Dr. Nick Riviera, "Hi, Everybodeeee!"
ScottFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #1248
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFree View Post
Last September...

Along the Current River in Missouri. The $5/night campsite (seven minute walk from the shower building; bring a flashlight 'cause it's black as pitch at night) is on a gravel bar that I strongly suspect becomes an island in times of high water.

Yes that's a Harley bagger. It is surprisingly good at crossing the loose pebbles in the river-bottom channel on the way into this campsite. Just point it straight and let Isaac Newton do the driving (as Jim Lovell said on Apollo 13...)

To add some adventure bike content (and use his senior-citizen pass to reduce the campsite rate to $2.50 a night), friend Stan joined me on his Buell Ulysses:

The site is eight miles from Eminence. About ten minutes by curvaceous MO roads 106 and V, about three hours by kayak.

Well there it is, my first post. In the words of Dr. Nick Riviera, "Hi, Everybodeeee!"

This is a great photo even sets up with a coat rack
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #1249
Marc gsbe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Marc gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #1250
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,487
Meat Cove, Cape Bretton Island

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #1251
Grantizzle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

JFC that's awesome!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #1252
deerchser
Bowhunting on a bike

Oddometer: 146
We were some place in north eastern washington. Great night except the bugs.

WHEN I SCREW-UP.....STOP LAUGHING LONG ENOUGH TO DIAL 911.......
deerchser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #1253
ADV scoot
Minimalist adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Mojave Desert

ADV scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #1254
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantizzle View Post
JFC that's awesome!
just need to be careful how far you wander from the tent for the middle of the night nature call
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #1255
Makwa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

Not sure which of these is my favorite!
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #1256
ScottFree
Adventurer

Blast from the past!

I stumbled across this campsite photo:

August, 1981, a forest service campground about 20 miles of gravel/dirt road SW of Montrose, Colorado (pronounced Mon-trose, or so say the locals). Fifth day of a three-week journey from my home outside Chicago to the Utah Canyonlands.

The bike in the background is my "off-road-touring" (the term "adventure riding" hadn't yet been invented) Yamaha XT500. Touring equipment included a five-gallon Preston Petty gas tank, bags and rack improvised from cheap K-Mart suitcases and Ace Hardware angle stock, a luxury touring saddle on the stock dirt-bike pan, and those infamous "universal trials" tires (30% road, 20% dirt; in total about half-competent). Gravel, dirt, mud, bare rock; mountains, deserts, dry heat and cold rain (often all in the same day). No GPS, no satellite phone, no cell phone (none of these had been invented yet), just an inaccurate Japanese odometer and an equally inaccurate Jeep-trail guide. Sometimes I marvel that I didn't end up buzzard food. What a great trip it was...

(Sorry about the poor quality of the image; it's a digital re-photo of a 30-year-old print. I should really borrow my neighbor's scanner...)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #1257
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:

August, 1981, a forest service campground about 20 miles of gravel/dirt road SW of Montrose, Colorado (pronounced Mon-trose, or so say the locals). Fifth day of a three-week journey from my home outside Chicago to the Utah Canyonlands.

The bike in the background is my "off-road-touring" (the term "adventure riding" hadn't yet been invented) Yamaha XT500. Touring equipment included a five-gallon Preston Petty gas tank, bags and rack improvised from cheap K-Mart suitcases and Ace Hardware angle stock, a luxury touring saddle on the stock dirt-bike pan, and those infamous "universal trials" tires (30% road, 20% dirt; in total about half-competent). Gravel, dirt, mud, bare rock; mountains, deserts, dry heat and cold rain (often all in the same day). No GPS, no satellite phone, no cell phone (none of these had been invented yet), just an inaccurate Japanese odometer and an equally inaccurate Jeep-trail guide. Sometimes I marvel that I didn't end up buzzard food. What a great trip it was...

(Sorry about the poor quality of the image; it's a digital re-photo of a 30-year-old print. I should really borrow my neighbor's scanner...)

Love it
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #1258
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:

was that a photograph or a still painting?!? (cameras not invented yet )
Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #1259
ScottFree
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
was that a photograph or a still painting?!? (cameras not invented yet )
Caught me! My buddy Rembrandt came along on the trip, though he wimped out when we got to the "Adventure" part!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #1260
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,487
I am kind of fond of this one...just sat down in the Kermit chair on the edge of the cliff to enjoy the first beer of the evening...

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote