User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
America invades Dakar

Here’s the list of Americans going to Dakar 2007, as best I know it (updated Nov. 19). Also listed are two from Mexico. If you know anything more or have corrections, please post some details.

---- MOTOS ----
25 Jonah Street *DVR - Team Rally Pan America (KTM 525XC custom) http://www.street2dakar.com/ & http://www.rallypanam.com
232 Casey McCoy - Team Rally Pan America (KTM 525XC custom) http://www.rallypanam.com
Assistance - Rally Pan America (Ford F350 #1), Robb McElroy DVR, Sid Milton, Niles Follin DVR, Kim McCullough DVR

149 Tim Hall - Team Heartland Dakar (KTM 525XC custom) http://www.heartland-dakar.com DVR
150 Paul Broome - (Honda XR650R) http://www.dakarpaul.com
178 Klaus Pelzmann - Austria (KTM 525)
Assistance - Rally Pan America (Ford F350 #2), Charlie Rauseo * (team manager) DVR, Jim Radcliff DVR, Gary Williams, Gary Sparks

9 Chris Blais * - Team KTM Redbul (KTM) http://www.blaisracing.com DVR

108 James Embro * - Team SSC/JJE Constructors (KTM) http://www.sundaysocialclub.org DVR
107 Elmer Symons - Team SSC/JJE Constructors (KTM) http://www.elmee.com DVR
109 Steve Laroza - Team JJE Constructors ("Rally PanAm" KTM 525) DVR
197 Chris Jones - Team JJE Constructors (KTM 625SXC) http://www.Dakar101.com DVR
Assistance - Team SSC/JJE Constructors (Ford F350), crew ???

216 Mike Kay - Team RallySoCal (Husqvarna TE 510 custom) DVR
217 Brian Schmuckle - Team RallySoCal (Husqvarna TE 510 custom) DVR
Assistance – Team RallySoCal (Ford F350), Des Mc Donald DVR

199 Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico (Yamaha) DVR
200 Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico (Yamaha) DVR
Assistance - Rally Raid Mexico (Ford F350), Ed Coyle DVR, Ron Mac Rae DVR, Leticia Diaz Rivera DVR, Juan Francisco Diaz Rivera DVR

---- CARS ----
320 Robby Gordon * / Andy Grider * DVR – Team USA Dakar (Hummer H3 #1) http://www.robbygordon.com
Assistance T4 (on the course) - Tom "Turbo Tom" Geviss / Paul Mischel
Assistance T5 (off the course) - ?

350 Ronn Bailey * / Kevin Heath* - http://www.ronnbaileymotorsports.com/rbm DVR
Assistance T4 - Team Vanguard
Assistance T5 - Team Vanguard (Ford F350)

305 Mark Miller * / Ralph Pitchford * - Team Volkswagon (Volkswagon Touareg)?
Assistance - Team Volkswagon?

351 Michael Petersen / Matthew Stevenson - Petersen Motorsports / SMG Buggy

---- TRUCKS ----
572 Darren Skilton * DVR / Jose Grijalva / Hector Camacho - T4 Assistance Truck

---- OF INTEREST ----
It looks like six Ford F350 trucks will be shipped over as "assistance vehicles" for the motos. Each will likely have 4 crew, and will follow the race "off the course" on parallel roads and highways. These assistance crews go through a whole separate adventure you never get to see on TV. If you want to see Dakar first hand, but can't afford to race it, this is the way to go (~$15,000 to $20,000).

Who's got Dakar 2008 in their sights? Probably everyone above, plus a few others I'm aware of (Me * DVR, Jim Dizney DVR, Dennis Sletton DVR, Mike Krynock*). Anyone else?

Those with a star * competed in Dakar 2006.

All those with "DVR" trained for Dakar together in September at the Death Valley Rally.

HogWild screwed with this post 01-07-2007 at 09:22 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
In 04 I was the only American privateer. Shawn Price, a Canadian, competed alone in 03. When I see this list, I get a little choked up. See, I told you guys you could do it! Oh, the adventures we'll have!

(Scott, can't you find any photos that don't make our trucks look bad? http://www.rallypanam.com/PhotosTruck/truckbox01.jpg)

thanks
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
That is a great list.

It is so good to see so many on this side of the ocean get involved.

Wish I could make it to DVR, not to mention Dakar.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Awesome!

..but where is the "rest" of team KTM/Red Bull. Surely, they are sending more than one rider, no?
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
...Scott, can't you find any photos that don't make our trucks look bad?...
Nope. I only found the cool real life photos I linked to (from YOUR website) . . . oh, and a few of some shiny new box looking thing that couldn't possibly have been through the horrors of Dakar (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Awesome! ..but where is the "rest" of team KTM/Red Bull. Surely, they are sending more than one rider, no?
Word from Blais a few weeks ago was he’s kinda hanging out solo. Grider is co-driver for Robby Gordon, so he’s found a cushier ride (though possibly more scary). Charlie talked to Blais just recently, so maybe he has more encouraging news?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
bugfnnuts
Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer: 956
Dakar bound

Rock on Scot!!

Thanks for compiling all of us. Jim and I are really lookng forward to meeting everyone and the 10 days of training and testing next month.

Tim

"Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over" Fabrizio Meoni

A challenge for those who go. A dream for those who stay behind. " Thierry Sabine
bugfnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Awesome!

..but where is the "rest" of team KTM/Red Bull. Surely, they are sending more than one rider, no?
That's an impressive list.

I would thionk that KTM/Red Bull USA would have a teammate for Chris Blais. As I understand, it is important for the main rider to have a "support" rider.

Chris' teammate may be Kellon Walch if he is fully healed from his ankle injury. I got to meet Kellon at the KTM Elko Rally. He is a great guy with a good attitude and big smile and an even bigger desire to go back to Dakar to win more stages and get on the podium. Hope he makes it.
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
Great list.

Looking forward to seeing the group at the DVR.
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
So does anyone know if KTM dropped Grider for Dakar or if Grider decided to switch?

Thanks for this list by the way. There seemed to be more interest this year from here so I was actually gonna ask about the US participants for 2007.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Bonezjones
Hairball

Oddometer: 157
Thanks Scott

Thanks a ton Scott for including me in your Dakar list. I wanted to add a little more info for the list.

First, myself and Steve Laroza are going to be riding KTM 625SXCs built by James and Elmer. They have been building them for the last few months at James's shop in Atlanta and they are coming along quite nicely. I'll have some photos to post soon. Instead of buying a new bike I decided to lease one of James's customer bikes and rent space in his truck for spares and such.

Second, in keeping with my www.rtw101.com theme I have bought the Dakar101.com domain to chronicle my adventure. I am hoping to have regular updates along the route via sat phone. It is a little unrealistic to assume I can call in every day but I am going to make an effort to keep it updated. The site isn't up yet but will be shortly.

I am looking forward to getting out to the DVR in a month to finally put some time in the seat(Renazco, if he ever finishes it) on the new bikes. Steve was able to pre-run Vegas to Reno on his and returned with praise.

See you soon.

Chris Jones
Bonezjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonezjones
...First, myself and Steve Laroza are going to be riding KTM 625SXCs built by James and Elmer.... I have bought the Dakar101.com domain to chronicle my adventure.
Chris, I updated the list with the info you provided. Is it correct to list you and Steve as Team JJE Constructors?

If I get word that Kellon Walch is on the KTM/Redbull Dakar team, I'll add his name to the list.

Ronn Bailey was added to the list, as I just found out he's returning for a third attempt in his buggy. Anyone know who his co-driver is?

If anyone knows of other needed updates, please post here.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Ronn Bailey was added to the list, as I just found out he's returning for a third attempt in his buggy. Anyone know who his co-driver is?
For some reason I am thinking I heard his co driver was Darren Skilton.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
cazevedo
MotoXplorers.com

Oddometer: 120
It seems I have to fill the fridge with a lot of beer
this year we already have 17 rooms confirmed in Inatel Lisbon for some friends from Scott list.
We keep some extra beer in the fridge until next year to receive Scott and Douane again.
If someone have contact with James Embro please tell him that I need names and dates do his team rooms.

you can check the Inatel/Nomads Pre-Bivouac in here http://nomads.lusolabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=1066
Old 08-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
For some reason I am thinking I heard his co driver was Darren Skilton.
That would be mind boggling. Last I heard from Darren was that he was DRIVING "something". I suppose that could be Ronn's second car??? But who knows . . . with enough money anything could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazevedo
…We keep some extra beer in the fridge until next year to receive Scott and Douane again…
Carlos, I never drank a beer in my life. So if you’re saving one for me, it’s going to be there for a LONG time. Then again, Duane has always covered for my deficiencies! BTW, I'm saving a few Cokes in the fridge over here for you and the Nomads gang when you come and visit California.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
That would be mind boggling. Last I heard from Darren was that he was DRIVING "something". I suppose that could be Ronn's second car??? But who knows . . . with enough money anything could happen.
I may be way off. I can't even recall where I read or heard that but for some reason, it's sticking in my mind.