User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
djchan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
LC4E Accessory outlet

Allright - I'm gonna take the plunge and get a GPS for my LC4E...prolly a Garmin Quest. Has anyone else mounted a cigarette lighter type outlet on the enduro? Being a lot more minimal than the Adventure - I'm wondering where is a good place to mount the little devil.

TIA
Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Greg Podlaski
fat ass

Oddometer: 353
plug

I put mine right above the key however i hardwired my etrex directly to the battery as the cig plug would unplug during serious offroading
Greg Podlaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Allright - I'm gonna take the plunge and get a GPS for my LC4E...prolly a Garmin Quest. Has anyone else mounted a cigarette lighter type outlet on the enduro? Being a lot more minimal than the Adventure - I'm wondering where is a good place to mount the little devil.

TIA
Dean
Like Greg said, forget the cig lighter plug for an off-roader.

Either hardwire the lead in permanently, or get a good locking QD connector for it like a Deutsch connector.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
djchan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Greg - that was my first and only thought as well. I may just run mine off AA battery power while offroading and leave the plug for onroad. Did you purchase the US topo software for offroad? I've been trying to forge a dualsport course right to the Canadian border from Central Maine. Be nice if I actually knew where I was.

Dean
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
djchan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Creeper - is there a connector to make for easy hardwiring? Electricity and I are not exactly on speaking terms. Sometimes it bites me and I'm afraid to bite back.

Dean
Old 08-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Greg Podlaski
fat ass

Ive tried every battery trick with no success the old girl just shakes to much. I recommend running a lead with a inline fuse directly from your battery and ditch the cig lighter idea.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Greg Podlaski
fat ass

mount

Also go with at least a ram mount or better yet the touratech mount.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Thanks Creeper - is there a connector to make for easy hardwiring? Electricity and I are not exactly on speaking terms. Sometimes it bites me and I'm afraid to bite back.

Dean
Deutsch connectors are what I use when I want a relatively small, available in anything from 1 pin to 16 pin, completely water proof and very secure electrical connection.
I currently use the two pin connectors for front turn signal QDs, HID light QD and GPS QD. With a 640A fairing to remove on a semi-regular basis, it's nice to have something that I can disconnect with one hand.

Harley-Davidson has been using them for years.
I mention HD because most dealers carry most of the connectors in stock... but are sold in individual pieces.
The pins, pin locks, seals and connector bodies all have separate part numbers. If you need spare crimp pins or seals with the intent of reusing the connector bodies, it’s kinda handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Also go with at least a ram mount or better yet the touratech mount.
Absolutely a Touratech... preferably a MvG mount.

C
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
Cig. lighter adapter on my LC4e

I hard wired a cig. lighter adapter on my LC4e and used a small strip of velcro to attach it to the top of the fender, directly under the head light mask.

I also use my cig. lighter adapter for my Etrex legend in my motorhome and LandCruiser, so it needs to be removable. I know the Etrex is old school, some day I would like to upgrade to a color screen and bigger screen GPS when funds allow.

I also run the RAM mounted to my handle bars. I use it because I also use it on my mountain bike.

Good luck