Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Outstanding report and excellent photo work!
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #17
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
The first person that I know of to downsize a modern motor for hill climb was Dan Watson my old compnay did the machine work for him first on a CBR900RR then on an F3 or F4. He went out and won both the 800cc and 540cc AMA Championships that year. I think he was the first to win both in a season.
I would not be surprised if the KTM had some kind of external magneto ignition on it. We used to put them on dragbikes but electronic ignitions repalced them. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...y/100_0414.jpg
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #18
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Wait I went back and looked there are oil lines there so now I am guessing some kinf od head oiling system. Maybe they can't get enough oil to the head during the runs. It is not a supercharger since that would need to be connected to the carbs and head.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 PM   #19
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Love it. That was my grandpa's sport back in the 30s when he rode an Indian 4. That big old Harley looks awesome, but imagine slapping a paddle chain on the rear tire of a mostly stock Indian 4 and launching it up a hill. He spent four years on the 'circuit', riding his bike between events like most competitors and the stories he could tell - best one was the day he won and this pretty young thing asked him to the dance at the county fair, grandma spent the next three years on the back of his Indian. Wish they were still around to share your pictures with.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #20
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E.
Outstanding report and excellent photo work!
+1

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #21
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Great report !!! I always wanted to go to one when I lived up north..Dad used to go back in the 70's and they were far from a "family" event back then...
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #22
troutdog
I don't fish.

Oddometer: 809
Look at the people standing near the top of the hill. They are standing straight up and they could reach the ground just by sticking their arm out. That is steep!
troutdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #23
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

There is an AMA Hill Climb National near Allentown, PA Sept. 10 if anyone is interested in seeing it live?
http://www.bikehillclimb.com/
Old 08-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #24
eaglej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
That 525 setup is weird. +1 on the oil line comment, but it also looks like the water pump may be driven off it as well (looks like a bigger water pump where the stock one goes- end of cam). I wish there were a few more pics from other angles.

The oiling issue seems weird. Do they need a pump to push oil up into a cooler? It looks like a line runs up high in front of the rads... Makes me wonder- would a high pressure oil pump up there cause trouble by putting extra pressure upstream of the sump oil pumps? Hmmm.

I agree that it could be to get more oil into the topend. Don't the RFS engines use the camchain to "sling" oil into the topend? Maybe they use that to get some more up there....
Either way- very interesting.

Also noticed right away that this wasn't AMA. Bolts and chains on the tires = not such a good idea. There is a reason the AMA outlaws this. What happens when that 6 oz huge bolt flies out of that rear paddle at 125mph? Or even worse, the 5 lb set of chains breaks and/or is thrown. Probably more likely for a bolt to fly... Dangerous shite either way.

J
Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #25
troutdog
I don't fish.

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglej
That 525 setup is weird. +1 on the oil line comment, but it also looks like the water pump may be driven off it as well (looks like a bigger water pump where the stock one goes- end of cam). I wish there were a few more pics from other angles.

The oiling issue seems weird. Do they need a pump to push oil up into a cooler? It looks like a line runs up high in front of the rads... Makes me wonder- would a high pressure oil pump up there cause trouble by putting extra pressure upstream of the sump oil pumps? Hmmm.

I agree that it could be to get more oil into the topend. Don't the RFS engines use the camchain to "sling" oil into the topend? Maybe they use that to get some more up there....
Either way- very interesting.

Also noticed right away that this wasn't AMA. Bolts and chains on the tires = not such a good idea. There is a reason the AMA outlaws this. What happens when that 6 oz huge bolt flies out of that rear paddle at 125mph? Or even worse, the 5 lb set of chains breaks and/or is thrown. Probably more likely for a bolt to fly... Dangerous shite either way.

J

I am not familier with AMA hillclimb rules. Are you saying that they will only sanction "rubber" on tires "no metal"?
troutdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #26
EatAtJoes
Ed Venture Heir

Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglej

J
Yabbut loud pipes save lives so it's covered.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #27
dustjunkie
Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
One of the most professional looking teams was from California. Orange County infact, my old stomping grounds.

Great to see the Petersons out East, but did Kery bring his LC8 out there?

Jake
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #28
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,214
Outstanding pics!

Thanks for sharing. Went to the Poags Hole Hillcimg several years ago when I was living in Rochester, NY. Sure brings back some memories...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #29
Beez OP
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
And the thread resurfaces again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustjunkie
Great to see the Petersons out East, but did Kery bring his LC8 out there?

Jake
No, no LC8s there. I missed last year but I should try to make it again this year. Seeing these machines in real life is amazing and the atmosphere is like a big redneck BBQ.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
thanks for bringin this thread back beez! wikked machines!

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote