User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Andrek OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Engine overheating slow moving

Hi, r1200gs 2006, 700km still running it in, my first BMW motorcycle.
Traveling home I got stuck in heavy traffic, the motor overheated and low oil pressure indicator. After leaving the motorway and picking up some speed again all return to normal.
Now my question: is this normal for the GS to overheat when standing still or slow moving in heavy traffic, is this because of the air cooled motor?
Thank, Andre
Andrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrek
Hi, r1200gs 2006, 700km still running it in, my first BMW motorcycle.
Traveling home I got stuck in heavy traffic, the motor overheated and low oil pressure indicator. After leaving the motorway and picking up some speed again all return to normal.
Now my question: is this normal for the GS to overheat when standing still or slow moving in heavy traffic, is this because of the air cooled motor?
Thank, Andre
It is normal. Just learn the fine art of filtering, then explain to the police that due to the fact you have a air cooled bike, you must do this. If you can't filter then pull over and let it cool down and join traffic again. It doesn't take all that long for it to cool down. If your low oil pressure light is coming on you might want to consider a thicker viscosity oil to help maintain oil pressure.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
bobcopro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I have never had my 1200GS overheat, even in standing Boston Traffic at 98 degrees (I overheated though!) I have also never had my oil warning light come on. Your bike is both air and oil cooled. These things consume vast quantities of oil when they're new. Make sure you check your oil level very frequently as you can't cool the engine oil if it doesn't have any. If it happened again, I would have the dealer make sure your oil cooler under the headlight is not blocked in any way.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,938
I have had my R1200GS in stop and go traffic in over 100 degree temperatures and the temp guage never got higher than its normal (about 1/3 of the way up) reading.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcopro
I have never had my 1200GS overheat, even in standing Boston Traffic at 98 degrees (I overheated though!) I have also never had my oil warning light come on. Your bike is both air and oil cooled. These things consume vast quantities of oil when they're new. Make sure you check your oil level very frequently as you can't cool the engine oil if it doesn't have any. If it happened again, I would have the dealer make sure your oil cooler under the headlight is not blocked in any way.
Same here. Very hot days, and an hour of standing traffic, and my 12GS has not gone past 3/4 high. Just 2 bars up from normal.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,348
I'm not so sure if that is normal for the new 1200. Many have reported the 11xx's over heating but I have yet to read one report of a 1200 over heating. Myself personally I have ridden my bike through Kansas City in 110 degree heat. The traffic was stop and go for over 50 miles and it took 3 hours to cover that distance. My RID never even moved from the normal heat measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
I have to agree with bobcopro on this one. It is NOT normal for a 1200GS to overheat. Even in the hottest weather and slowest traffic, I have never seen my temp guage go more than half way up. Get the bike to your dealer and have it checked out.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,064
I should have read his post better, but it was kind of hard since the lettering was in black. Since I have a 1150 GS I assumed he had one to. (Being the better model and all that).
Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Happnin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
srosa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I'll chime in and concur that this is not normal for an R1200GS. I really had to watch this with my old 1100's but my 1200 seems to run much cooler for some reason. I also found with my 1100's that any movement, even 5-10 MPH helped to avoid overheating.
srosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
dc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
overheating GS 1150

Lets hear some REAL answers from the "proffessionals" and save a bike and calm down a rider
dc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
TK421
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Question

I was stuck on I-80 (stop and go traffic for about 1/2 hour) in 80 degree heat and riding thru NYC in same temps. Temp indicator started climbing ('08 R12GS) but never got into the "red" (past the little hash mark near the top) - normally at 4 bars but went to 5 for much of the ride then up to 7 as I got lost in Manhattan. Crossing the the Brooklyn Bridge brought the temp down a bit. Does this sound normal? I usually ride where I am free of traffic and my commute is only 10 miles or so. Taking the bike on a long tour of EU - Am I just being paranoid or is my bike telling me something?
Thanks
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
I would think they have a thermostat in the oil system.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1
Lets hear some REAL answers from the "proffessionals" and save a bike and calm down a rider
I'll give it a try. Not normal but not unheard of. I had an R12GS land on my bench that would over heat anytime the temps were above 85f. The motor was a golden brown. The customer stated the bike had always run hot. I too thought the thermostat might have been bad or improperly installed. When I removed the thermostat it was dry . Looking further the oil cooler was dry also. As it turns out BMW did not drill an oil passage in the block for the oil to go to the cooler. Since the bike was still in warranty (35500 miles on it) we ordered a new short block.
To check you thermostat get a digital laser temp probe and read the oil cooler lines when the bike hits "normal" operating temp the lines should begin to warm. If they stay only a few deg above ambient temp. you have found your problem.
Hope this helps.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinVA
To check you thermostat get a digital laser temp probe and read the oil cooler lines when the bike hits "normal" operating temp the lines should begin to warm. If they stay only a few deg above ambient temp. you have found your problem.
Hope this helps.
Or, if your fingers aren't completely severed from your sensory system: Touch it with your hand.
If should be hot as in "ooops". It will not be hot as in "funny smell - is that black thing my hand?".

I don't know on the 12GS, but on the 1150 (best model and all that) the oil starts to flow at three or four bars.

How hot the oil is? That is, in fact, a rather frequently asked question. And, luckily, you will find the
answer in the "GSpot FAQ".

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote