ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 01:52 AM   #1
BlueBird OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 14
Bleeding Brakes on 1200gs(DONE IT)

Hiya

Can anyone help me out on how to bleed the brakes on my o5 1200gs.

It's got abs and there are six bleed nipples on the abs/servo pump under the petrol tank.

Is there any particular order of bleeding these or is just bleed from the caliper as normal,or is it a dealer job.

This is the last job to do to get the bike on the road after writing it off and i,m busting to get go'ing

BlueBird screwed with this post 08-27-2006 at 03:24 AM
BlueBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Slope'r
Turn'n Valves
 
Slope'r's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Joseph, Oregon
Oddometer: 492
Bump

I don't have a clue, but there must be someone here that can help you.

PS - fill out your profile!
__________________
Slope'r

'94 R100GS/PD

'06 F650GSL
Slope'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
hogmolly
Dude
 
hogmolly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: McKinney, TX and San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 3,142
Read this

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf
__________________
10 FLHCUSE-BLK, 09 FXDL, 08 FXDWG, 98 FLHR, 07 R1200GS Adv, 95 R100GSPD Classic, 93 R100GSPD, 92 CB750
hogmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,861
This is a job that needs to be done right or you'll be left without sufficient braking power. Proceed with caution.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
rideLD
The further the better!
 
rideLD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Oddometer: 5,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
This is a job that needs to be done right or you'll be left without sufficient braking power. Proceed with caution.
The same can be said for any hydraulic braking system.

Get the service CD
Read the Hall of Wisdom article.
Make the funnel
Make the piston reset tool.
Follow the instructions
Its really not hard to do at all.

As far as the 6 bleed nipples go, there was a service bulletin that came out in March of this year telling the BMW techs to only bleed 1 of the 3 front circuits and 1 of the 3 rear circuits on the ABS pump. This changes 98% of the fluid in the ABS pump and 100% of fluid that has been used. This shaves about 45 minutes off the process and BMW is billing 1 less hour.(I guess they are slow )
__________________
Karl | 2014 BMW R1200GSW Adventure | 2009 BMW G450x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
hogmolly
Dude
 
hogmolly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: McKinney, TX and San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc46
The same can be said for any hydraulic braking system.

Get the service CD
Read the Hall of Wisdom article.
Make the funnel
Make the piston reset tool.
Follow the instructions
Its really not hard to do at all.

As far as the 6 bleed nipples go, there was a service bulletin that came out in March of this year telling the BMW techs to only bleed 1 of the 3 front circuits and 1 of the 3 rear circuits on the ABS pump. This changes 98% of the fluid in the ABS pump and 100% of fluid that has been used. This shaves about 45 minutes off the process and BMW is billing 1 less hour.(I guess they are slow )
Do you know which of the three they use or does it matter?
__________________
10 FLHCUSE-BLK, 09 FXDL, 08 FXDWG, 98 FLHR, 07 R1200GS Adv, 95 R100GSPD Classic, 93 R100GSPD, 92 CB750
hogmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
rideLD
The further the better!
 
rideLD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Oddometer: 5,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVman
Do you know which of the three they use or does it matter?
Good question. All three draw from the same fluid reservoir so in theory any of them should do the trick. I would bet the leveling circuit front and back are the ones to bleed. I did all 6 of mine the old way on my last bleed job and when I got to the 2nd and 3rd nipple for the back and the front I was just bleeding out clean, new brake fluid. That got me thinking that the procedure may be redundant, wasteful and unnecessarily time consuming. I mentioned this to the local BMW tech that I sometimes ride with and he agreed. About a month later I saw him again and and he told me about the service bulletin that he had just recieved. He did not mention which nipple they are telling them to bleed but he did make a point of saying that I was right. (I love being right ) I might see him tomorrow night and I will try to make a point to ask him which front and rear nipple they are bleeding.

Karl
__________________
Karl | 2014 BMW R1200GSW Adventure | 2009 BMW G450x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:34 AM   #8
BlueBird OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 14
Done It

Hiya

Thanks to all the people who posted here to enable me to bleed the front primary circuit.

I tried to make the funnel to hold the fluid but could'nt get a leak free seal with what i had available so i just used the turkey baster to top up the fluid a little at a time,took a little bit longer but worked a treat.

I didnt bother with taking out the brake pads and replacing with wood blanks as they were new ones anyway.

With the servos pumping the fliud for you i'd say its even easier than bleeding normal brakes.

Thanks everyone, Jon
BlueBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit
 
gelandestrasse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 20,254
Bluhduh BMW dealer is trying to scare me off from servicing my R1200GS servo brakes.

I've got a 2005 R1200GS with the superior servo ABS brakes, that frankly frighten lesser riders.

In any case the bike is no longer in warranty and the brake fluid needs changed. I've ordered the funnel from McMaster Carr. I ordered the cap from the nearby BMW dealer. They gave me the "Are you sure you want to do this? We need four hours and elaborate equipment to complete the job."


It doesn't look that hard. It's a bit more involved than installing a set of Russell Speed Bleeders and pumping new fluid through the system by hand, but not by much.
__________________
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln
gelandestrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
I've got a 2005 R1200GS with the superior servo ABS brakes, that frankly frighten lesser riders.

In any case the bike is no longer in warranty and the brake fluid needs changed. I've ordered the funnel from McMaster Carr. I ordered the cap from the nearby BMW dealer. They gave me the "Are you sure you want to do this? We need four hours and elaborate equipment to complete the job."


It doesn't look that hard. It's a bit more involved than installing a set of Russell Speed Bleeders and pumping new fluid through the system by hand, but not by much.
4 hours?

I can do it in two, from whole, to tank off and brakes done, to whole again!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,445
Neat block diagram.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #12
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit
 
gelandestrasse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 20,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
4 hours?

I can do it in two, from whole, to tank off and brakes done, to whole again!

Jim
You aren't getting paid to do it by the hour.
__________________
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln
gelandestrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
You aren't getting paid to do it by the hour.
Nor is he including the bleed test with the GT1 or a test ride.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
Nor is he including the bleed test with the GT1 or a test ride.
Maybe Jim's just fast. I'm not.

Last time I helped a friend do the job we took about 4 - 4 1/2 hours. That did not include his time to remove/restore plastic (it was an RT) nor did it include the time he took to remove the tank. We bled both wheel circuits and all 6 bleed points of the control circuits, two of them twice. I understand some only bleed 2 points of the control circuits. That would have saved some time. But we weren't in any hurry, having scheduled most of a day to get the job done.

No GT-1 available to do the checking (I'm hoping that someday the GS-911 will do that job). The bike owner is happy with the results.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:43 AM   #15
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rick Lee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Cave Creek, AZ USA
Oddometer: 1,243
This is another reason I have no desire for ABS. My non-ABS bike brakes just fine and bleeds are a cinch.
__________________
'06 K1200R
'96 993 C2
Rick Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014