Originally Posted by meat popsicle
y'all are part of a very select group.

I'm famous man. Famous.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #32
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,368
You know KTM sell' one of them Too Creeper. I can't decide to make one of yours or buy the KTM version.

Tools

Axle GaugeENLARGE IMAGE [+]
Fitment:
Part No:

Price: $102.60

Axle Gauge

$102 !!!!

ok, I've decided I'll make one
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #33
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
You know KTM sell' one of them Too Creeper. I can't decide to make one of yours or buy the KTM version.

Tools

Axle GaugeENLARGE IMAGE [+]
Fitment:
Part No:

Price: $102.60

Axle Gauge

$102 !!!!

ok, I've decided I'll make one
If you got a lathe... a KTM knock-off is less than an hour away.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #34
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,255
this should go in the sticky section, thanks for the idea
Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #35
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
this should go in the sticky section, thanks for the idea

Meat put it in the first post set under "1.b Repairs".

C
Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #36
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Too vague a title? I probably should add in "rear axle alignment tool".

HighwayChile, how did you search the index for this thread? The feedback would be useful to me.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #37
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Too vague a title? I probably should add in "rear axle alignment tool".

HighwayChile, how did you search the index for this thread? The feedback would be useful to me.
With my arguably fuzzy logic... I think the "wheels" section would be the logical choice, as the tool is intended to align the rear wheel.
I suppose, if there was a "tools" section, that would be an alternate good location.

There isn't a "tools" section... is there? I don't imagine there is, as there wouldn't be much in it, unless you started searching for threads/posts that would be applicable... like that torque wrench "epic" for example.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #38
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Good effort, Creep, but you omitted the part about, uh... dammit. You covered it well, and showed good word usement, tool.

I use a remarkably similar tool of my own design (ahem) to measure fluid level in da forks.

Come to think of it, maybe this is just one of the basic, fundamental tools... you know, knife, pliers, zip-tie-on-a-stick...

Way to go, Creep. And don't forget to keep hope alive about the barn; my garage is just now dried-in, a week after pouring the foundation. It only took ten goddamn months to get to that. You'll get that barn yet.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #39
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
With my arguably fuzzy logic... I think the "wheels" section would be the logical choice, as the tool is intended to align the rear wheel.
I suppose, if there was a "tools" section, that would be an alternate good location.

There isn't a "tools" section... is there? I don't imagine there is, as there wouldn't be much in it, unless you started searching for threads/posts that would be applicable... like that torque wrench "epic" for example.
Well, I have the engine, tranny, drivetrain in one section, and suspension, wheels, and brakes in another. This is a cross-dresser, no, crossover tool right? I stuck it in the drivetrain section because my addled brain thought chain, but you are right, it is also a rear wheel issue.

Perhaps a Tool section would be a nice workaround? That might be a nice congregation point for all things TOOL, such as tool kits, and tool storage, and... yeah, good idea'r!

Oooooh, the torque wrench thread. Dat's a goodie.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #40
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Good effort, Creep, but you omitted the part about, uh... dammit. You covered it well, and showed good word usement, tool.

I use a remarkably similar tool of my own design (ahem) to measure fluid level in da forks.

Come to think of it, maybe this is just one of the basic, fundamental tools... you know, knife, pliers, zip-tie-on-a-stick...

Way to go, Creep. And don't forget to keep hope alive about the barn; my garage is just now dried-in, a week after pouring the foundation. It only took ten goddamn months to get to that. You'll get that barn yet.

Hey Stephen... funny guy.

You should do a post on your fluid level tool and how you use it... when you get a opportunity.

"Zip-tie on a stick". I have another tool-on-a-stick... it's called "spark plug on a stick". Handy for holding heads while I'm mangl... working on them.

The deal is... I have two houses, one I'm in now and the other one with the bigass workshop; they are about 28 miles apart.
We don't want to move just yet because a house with furniture sells better than one without. We had this place sold on a contingency, then that went to shiz... so we have to start over.
If the new place was a bit closer, I'd just move my current shop over there and commute, but it's a PITA to do that so... 1500 sq.ft. of shop sits empty.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #41
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Well, I have the engine, tranny, drivetrain in one section, and suspension, wheels, and brakes in another. This is a cross-dresser, no, crossover tool right? I stuck it in the drivetrain section because my addled brain thought chain, but you are right, it is also a rear wheel issue.

Perhaps a Tool section would be a nice workaround? That might be a nice congregation point for all things TOOL, such as tool kits, and tool storage, and... yeah, good idea'r!

Oooooh, the torque wrench thread. Dat's a goodie.

Well... I guess to me, rear wheel alignment automatically get's you chain and brake alignment... not proper chain tension, just alignment.

A tool section would be good, but then you've got specific tools and generic tools... so what better place for job specific tools than the bike section they would be used in?

So many ways to fall off the fence... so little time.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #42
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
1500 sq.ft. of shop sits empty.
Swing loans suck monkey testes....

Oh, and I have plenty of sheisse laying around my garage if you need to fill the space (UPS or FedEx)...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #43
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Swing loans suck monkey testes....

Oh, and I have plenty of sheisse laying around my garage if you need to fill the space (UPS or FedEx)...
The wife owns a mortgage company, so she's got the money thing all sorted... can't do anything about wank buyers though.
Trust and faith, with all good intent, can still turn to poo.

You can keep your pile of junk... I have plenty of my own, gracias.

So... what do monkey testes tast like? Chicken?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #44
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
So... what do monkey testes tast like? Chicken?
Not sure. A little too hominid for my taste. The bovine versions are pretty yummy though...

hi-jack off or is it hi, jackoff???
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:29 AM   #45
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Is Creeper's method perfect?

To be absolutely correct, you should not measure from the swinging arm pivot, as that may not be perfect. It should be, as that is probably a fixed point on the frame production jig, but you cannot trust this to be corrrect, just as you cannot trust the adjuster markings to be correct.

What matters is that the rear wheel is in line with the front wheel. One should use a long straight-edge parallele to the front wheel rim. Then adjust the rear wheel to the straight edge... the problem is: How do you know that the front wheel is straigh ahead?

You don't have to do the straight-edge thing every time, just once to check, then when you know, you can use Creeper's method.

If the swinging arm povot is positioned incorrectly within the frame, the pads will wear evenly as long as the pads are paralelle to the disk, but that does not mean that the front and rear wheels are in line.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)

RedRupert screwed with this post 09-27-2006 at 02:35 AM
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote