Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #1591
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakerboy View Post
My bike decided to modify itself. It threw off one of the turn signal lenses going down the road. I found it and UnModified it with some zip ties in true KLR form.

Monarch Crest! I rode that trail! On a mtn bike, not my KLR.
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #1592
Old_man
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Mine is an 06 klr I picked up from a friend who bought her new. It was his first bike and it wasn't for him after all. It sat outside for two years and the plastics faded and crusty. So I'm going to put 07 black on it. It runs. But the carb needs to be gone through and petcock leaks. My first two mods I want to do is front forks ( What are my options) and kick start. Does anyone have the parts for sale to do it? New or used? Thanks
Old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #1593
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
OLDMAN:
Welcome....and get ready for a smooth ride down a slippery slope.....farlitis is a bad sickness to be inflicted with!

Not complaining mind you just saying.

As for your questions, body work plastics can be easily brought back to near new with a good heat gun. If you heat the plastic up and watch carefully as you do it, you are looking for the point where the surface just starts to turn shinny, like liquid glimmer, then move over to a fresh spot and repeat until done. You will be amazed how well it works.
Next is the kickstart......sorry to say......good luck with this mod....it is hard to find all the bits and pieces especially one small lever inside. You will find it easier to buy a very good gel cel battery and work with it. Odysey makes imho the best and strongest one on the market....number 545, fits in sideways.....simple and never look back.

Enjoy the bike, it's a keeper for sure!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #1594
Old_man
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
OLDMAN:
Welcome....and get ready for a smooth ride down a slippery slope.....farlitis is a bad sickness to be inflicted with!

Not complaining mind you just saying.

As for your questions, body work plastics can be easily brought back to near new with a good heat gun. If you heat the plastic up and watch carefully as you do it, you are looking for the point where the surface just starts to turn shinny, like liquid glimmer, then move over to a fresh spot and repeat until done. You will be amazed how well it works.
Next is the kickstart......sorry to say......good luck with this mod....it is hard to find all the bits and pieces especially one small lever inside. You will find it easier to buy a very good gel cel battery and work with it. Odysey makes imho the best and strongest one on the market....number 545, fits in sideways.....simple and never look back.

Enjoy the bike, it's a keeper for sure!

Thanks I definitely will be keeping it. As for the plastics I like the black a little better than the red so that's my biggest motivation. I plan on powder coating everything I can black also. And wrapping the stock plastics with real tree for hunting season. Then running the black plastics for the rest of the year. As for the kick start I just like the thought of having it for a back up. If anyone hear has parts for it let me know. I had an 87 that I put over 50k on and it was still going strong when I sold it ( wanted one ever since). Anyway I have several other toys so time and money will be the limiting factor. My wife says I have seasons. I go all out on each toy for a while and then switch toys for a while then eventually end up back at the first......maybe she's right i dunno. :)
Old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #1595
cwadej
Keeper of the truth

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Only true KLRistas, can say they have more in farkles than the purchase costs!!!....I'm embarrassed to say!!!
Then I truly am a KLRista. Adding a sidecar doubled my bike's value. And then all the junk needed, added a bunch more money

Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #1596
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Very nice!!!!

Yep...a true KLRista!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #1597
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
Then I truly am a KLRista. Adding a sidecar doubled my bike's value. And then all the junk needed, added a bunch more money
Stinking awesome!
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #1598
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
.. dangit ..

.. my wife saw that .. now she wants one ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #1599
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_man View Post
Mine is an 06 klr I picked up from a friend who bought her new. It was his first bike and it wasn't for him after all. It sat outside for two years and the plastics faded and crusty. So I'm going to put 07 black on it. It runs. But the carb needs to be gone through and petcock leaks. My first two mods I want to do is front forks ( What are my options) and kick start. Does anyone have the parts for sale to do it? New or used? Thanks
There are several.
1. total front end swap for something else.
2. Gold valve
3. Riccor intiminaters.

I have the Gold valves in my DR they work great when the going gets rough, not as smooth as i would like on slightly bumpy gravel, i know the valve's can be tuned but i like the way it does in the rough so i will wait till i read what others have done to tune theirs.

I have the Ricror intiminaters on my KLR, smooth as silk on hwy and gravel, i dont take this KLR in the rough, i did my last one but it was stock and i did not have a DR for the woods back then.

On both the DR and KLR i have the stock springs, i chose to do that because i dont haul a heavy load and read where others had good results with stock springs with valves.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #1600
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
And wrapping the stock plastics with real tree for hunting season.
I love a Camo KLR......

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #1601
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Here is my front end conversion, bike works fantastic now.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644649
Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #1602
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
This is my latest project, and no, the green fender won't stay in place when I'm done. The orange fender also won't be orange, it will be green.

Right now I'm working on ways to mount it. I've got some ideas involving conduit clamps and small, aluminum brackets.
I may just make my own clamps & brackets.

BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #1603
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
You could drill a few holes on the fender and zip tie it in place. Did that with a KTM fender mounted on a DL650, it worked great.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #1604
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
The kickstart retrofit is more than a trivial parts swap. You need to go to the pre-96 clutch setup as well. The parts are indeed hard to come by.

The most common fork upgrade is to install a Progressive 1151 spring. You may want a fork brace too. I like them, but here is a school of thought that says they are a bad idea for off-road use. I think my Scott Summers brace makes the bike work better in sand. Beyond that are the revalving options and ultimately the fork swaps that have been mentioned.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #1605
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
You could drill a few holes on the fender and zip tie it in place..
I'm trying to avoid zip-ties in favor of something a little more sturdy and permanent.
I'll have to drill holes in the fender, and probably trim back the rear supports an inch or so, but I'm hoping to use something like conduit clamps to hold it down..... something that will wrap around the fork tube and have a small tab with a hole in it to secure the fender.

I'm still brainstorming my options, but I'll be sure and post pics of the results.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote