Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #2506
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
New Saddlemen Adventure Seat

I have to wonder if the water that will surely collect in the middle will have a way to drain, or if it will simply be sucked up by the rider's crotch?
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #2507
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
I have to wonder if the water that will surely collect in the middle will have a way to drain, or if it will simply be sucked up by the rider's crotch?
Perhaps the flap conceals a scupper as well as the hook.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #2508
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
To ride that seat in the rain will require meals of beans!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #2509
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
My current, ongoing project is three fold.

1: Improve the wind protection by modifying a +4" windscreen and mounting it to the fairing that I performed the "WheatWhacker Fairing Wedge Mod" on.

2: Build and install a heads-up GPS mount (so I can keep my eyes on the road more).

3: Fabricate a suitable dashboard for mounting some extra gauges (that would be the reason for the cardboard template).

I'm thinking about mounting some sort of LED light source to the green plate below the GPS so I can illuminate the gauges (clock, temp, volt).

BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #2510
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,716
Made a bit of headway with the fridge list today. Bike is currently reassembled and roadworthy... for now. Once I order more parts, I'll tear it down again.

My rear rack had some broken bits. Picked up some replacement parts. Subframe was previously modified to accommodate broken bits, so I picked up a used subframe too. Wasn't in the best shape, so I had to add some metal to the exhaust side (pictured below). Also chopped my exhaust by 2" and fabbed a new mount because it was rubbing the tire.

Added a mud guard for the shock. Maybe this one will last longer.

Still lots to do. Top end being the biggie.

Time for some of this.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #2511
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738
[QUOTE=BigT;18254889]My current, ongoing project is three fold.

1: Improve the wind protection by modifying a +4" windscreen and mounting it to the fairing that I performed the "WheatWhacker Fairing Wedge Mod" on.

2: Build and install a heads-up GPS mount (so I can keep my eyes on the road more).

3: Fabricate a suitable dashboard for mounting some extra gauges (that would be the reason for the cardboard template).

I'm thinking about mounting some sort of LED light source to the green plate below the GPS so I can illuminate the gauges (clock, temp, volt).
Careful with the high GPS mount... I like it and it's easy to see, but when I did it the vibration just killed the unit. Curious to how you'll fare out.
JJ
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #2512
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Careful with the high GPS mount... I like it and it's easy to see, but when I did it the vibration just killed the unit. Curious to how you'll fare out.
JJ
I agree that that's a big lump of mass pretty high on a fairing with no structural support. If it works for you, great. Just something to consider.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #2513
Pilot2Wheels
Pilot2Wheels

Oddometer: 22
Question Center Stand

I'm looking for a center stand for my 2011 KLR. I found two of them listed on http://www.klr650.com/

Any suggestions? Pro or con on a center stand?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2514
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2Wheels View Post
I'm looking for a center stand for my 2011 KLR. I found two of them listed on http://www.klr650.com/

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
I have the one from TT sw motech. it is a very robust piece and i love it for maintenance.
However it is very hard to get the bike on the stand, especially if it is loaded. I have to use the lean it waaaay over on the sidestand move to get it on there.. and my bike is stock height. maybe an adjustable one would be nice. i think happy trail has one.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #2515
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
I'm looking for a center stand for my 2011 KLR.

Any suggestions?
I have a suggestion. Save your money (& your ground clearance) and get one of these instead. I got the aluminum/unpainted version for $25.

BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #2516
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
I would like to ask for opinions regarding the Rico Intiminator product...
I like mine. I probably have 10,000 miles of mostly long pavement followed my fire roads and easy dirt. The Ricor valves are a great upgrade but they didn't really come into play until I replaced the springs with Sonic .52kg/mm straight rate springs with standard length spacers.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #2517
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
I like mine. I probably have 10,000 miles of mostly long pavement followed my fire roads and easy dirt. The Ricor valves are a great upgrade but they didn't really come into play until I replaced the springs with Sonic .52kg/mm straight rate springs with standard length spacers.
I love my ricors...they really transformed the ride for me.... I actually removed my sonic.52g springs after about 4k miles off road and put my stockers back in with about 1/2 inch extra spacer. I was looking for a bit more plush ride off road...im 165 lbs and usually ride loaded for camping.

fishyhead...why do you think the .52 weight springs are better for you? less dive? how do you primarily ride? loaded for touring etc?
I don't know much about suspension setup..so im interested to hear your take. when im down here in flatlandia it is tough to test new setups...no trails for miles and miles.
I noticed a lot less dive with the .52 springs but they seemed a bit harsh.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #2518
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I have a suggestion. Save your money (& your ground clearance) and get one of these instead. I got the aluminum/unpainted version for $25.

I agree, greatest tool in my kit. I tried the center stand route for one trip and yanked it off.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #2519
R Brown
KLRider

Oddometer: 55
Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Wayne,
It depends on how and where you ride. If your not riding real rough stuff you will love it. They do cost you a little ground clearance and they will sometimes hit the ground if you come off a jump. If your riding the rough stuff, it will drag on things you cross over, like large rocks and logs. If you mostly ride paved, gravel, and dirt roads and light single track, you will like it. It is good for maintenance work and parking it and not worrying about it getting blown over by the wind. The trail stand types are also very useful, especially if you need space and light weight. I bought the new version S W Motech center stand from Twisted Throttle. Some people say they have trouble getting a KLR up on the center stand due to the height of the bike. I don't have a problem with it. The one from Twisted Throttle comes with a lift handle also.
Hope this helps answer your questions.
RB.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #2520
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Agreed... If yer mostly on road and would like the convenience you CAN'T beat a centerstand! I used one for the first 37,000mi when I got the KLR. But I go offroad quite a bit and bash it on the rocks alot, which puts the footpeg bolts at risk of stripping (which one of mine did) I am also putting the KLR on a DIET! (the centerstand I just pulled off weighs 8lbs) SO it was only natural to get rid of it. If ya want a trail stand an Inmate here makes an EXELLENT one... it weighs just 10oz, superb quality and is cheap! You can disassemble it as far down as you want for packing... Link...http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post18259707

Back to the centerstand... you just step on the lever and pull up on the bikes grab bar.

So it really depends on your needs.???
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote