close to the head 800 degrees F
just before the heat shield 750 degrees F
Just after the heat shield 500 degrees F
the heat shield itself measured 400-450 degrees F
This was while idling, and it was about 55 degrees F ambient temp

Good luck

Jim

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #2642
Pilot2Wheels
Pilot2Wheels

Oddometer: 22
Question Marlin Time

Has anyone had any experience with Marlin's handlebar clocks and thermometers?

http://www.marlins-motorcycles.com/i...tml?246.html&1

I'm thinking of going with the traditional black, and attaching them to the left and right of the instrument cluster on my '11 KLR.

Click on #26 on the left for how I think I would attach them.

Wayne

Pilot2Wheels screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 05:05 PM Reason: Oops! Forgot to mention #26 to click on
Pilot2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #2643
Pilot2Wheels
Pilot2Wheels

Oddometer: 22
Cool2 Coleman Cooler?

I did the old Google search of site: ADVRider.com to see what I could find on people that have a cooler to carry the Yogi Bear Picnic on a day trip, and couldn't find anything useful.

Therefore, does anyone have a good suggestion on placing a decent size cooler on the back of their KLR? I was thinking of buying a cooler, attaching eye bolts through the top side for bungee cords, and giving it a try but thought someone here probably has been there done that.

Any suggestions?

Wayne
Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #2644
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Yea buddy I love your set up... But when I mounted the GPS up that high there was juuust Noooo waaay to stop it from rattling apart. Had to go back to a bar mount.
Yeah, I'm afraid that might be what I end up doing as well. I started out with it mounted to the front brake master, but I got tired of having to take my eyes that far off the road to look at the screen. It also completely blocked the speedometer and idiot lights.

Mounting it up higher was an attempt to create more of a heads-up view, but the shaking is making it darn hard to read the screen.

I had it up about 4 inches higher than that before, and up there it shook like crazy. Lowering it was a big improvement so I'm hopeful that lowering it some more will result in even less shaking.

Like I said, it's a work in progress.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #2645
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,492
Not the best pic, but here is my Zumo, mounted on a small panel above the instruments. The wheatwacker mod moved the fairing/windshield forward enough to do this. Vibration isn't bad.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #2646
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2Wheels View Post
I did the old Google search of site: ADVRider.com to see what I could find on people that have a cooler to carry the Yogi Bear Picnic on a day trip, and couldn't find anything useful.

Therefore, does anyone have a good suggestion on placing a decent size cooler on the back of their KLR? I was thinking of buying a cooler, attaching eye bolts through the top side for bungee cords, and giving it a try but thought someone here probably has been there done that.

Any suggestions?

Wayne

Rubbermaid 8 gallon ActionPacker. Not exactly a cooler but can doe the job if needed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #2647
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Thanks bg just the views I was looking for, off to Happy Trails to order. *EDIT* Already thinking about how to do away with the "eye pooker" in the last photo.
I cut the points basically flush with the bars.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2648
farkleknocker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Why mess with the excessive heat generated by the header - splice a heat exchanger into the cooling system/water pump for more manageble temps and materials?
Simple. Production, weight and performance. The header gets hot FAST. For the cooling system to heat water it takes a long time for the entire cooling system to get up to temperature, even more so in frigid temperatures. The header can be up to temp in a couple minutes or less. Conserves fuel and is capable of higher temps.

Imagine waking up on a cold morning wanting to heat some water and having to ride around to get the bike up to temp. Defeats the purpose. It's not just a shower, you can even coil up some hose in your boots to pre-heat them before a ride. I am actually anticipating it will boil water if ran in a loop. I'm not sure how long it would take for a specific qty, but technically it should. 500*F off the header is surely enough.

Weight, my entire system is predicted to weigh less than 2 lbs, including the pump and hoses. To put together an aluminum water to water type heat exchanger with the associated plumbing and added water weight would be much heavier. This system just needs a water source, a collapsible fabric type bucket and some gas. I think this would be a great backup for heating cooking water, I am not sure it would replace a jet-boil, but it could save the stove fuel by pre-heating a large qty. Time will tell.

And, I can build this at home, not so with a water to water type exchanger.
farkleknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #2649
farkleknocker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
I measured the header temp after a short ride, and found as follows;

close to the head 800 degrees F
just before the heat shield 750 degrees F
Just after the heat shield 500 degrees F
the heat shield itself measured 400-450 degrees F
This was while idling, and it was about 55 degrees F ambient temp

Good luck

Jim

You sir are AWESOME!!! Thanks!

If you want to be the guinea pig let me know...
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #2650
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
I cut the points basically flush with the bars.

Nice, that is pretty much what I had in mind. Looks great.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #2651
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleknocker View Post
Simple. Production, weight and performance. The header gets hot FAST. For the cooling system to heat water it takes a long time for the entire cooling system to get up to temperature, even more so in frigid temperatures. The header can be up to temp in a couple minutes or less. Conserves fuel and is capable of higher temps.

Imagine waking up on a cold morning wanting to heat some water and having to ride around to get the bike up to temp. Defeats the purpose. It's not just a shower, you can even coil up some hose in your boots to pre-heat them before a ride. I am actually anticipating it will boil water if ran in a loop. I'm not sure how long it would take for a specific qty, but technically it should. 500*F off the header is surely enough.

Weight, my entire system is predicted to weigh less than 2 lbs, including the pump and hoses. To put together an aluminum water to water type heat exchanger with the associated plumbing and added water weight would be much heavier. This system just needs a water source, a collapsible fabric type bucket and some gas. I think this would be a great backup for heating cooking water, I am not sure it would replace a jet-boil, but it could save the stove fuel by pre-heating a large qty. Time will tell.

Wait'n to see this kit...
Jettn Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #2652
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
oink oink

jim

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #2653
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleknocker View Post

Sounds like a lot of work that a small gas Coleman cooker can do more efficiently than running a motor and be used for other things too. But then, if that is what you want to do and have fun doing it - go for it!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #2654
farkleknocker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Sounds like a lot of work that a small gas Coleman cooker can do more efficiently than running a motor and be used for other things too. But then, if that is what you want to do and have fun doing it - go for it!
How many hot water showers have you taken with your Coleman cooker?

The efficiency between a pressurized gas powered cooker and an exhaust header heat exchanger are really not up for debate. 2 totally different apples. Direct heat vs. radiant heat.

If this were the case then thousands upon thousands of farkellers would be talking about how many hot water showers they had at the end of every day of their journey by using their Coleman cooker. But I don't recall many.

I saw a need and a way and I applied.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #2655
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,942
re: boilermaker

I think it's a really neat concept and is worth testing. I really hope you respect the fact that water can turn to steam in a hurry and steam builds pressure quite quickly. Just be safe.

I think as long as the water is flowing through a cold apparatus before starting a cold bike, you can then experiment with volumes, water pressures, and measure final temps. This ain't the kind of thing where you can shut it off to save water because it will super-heat the water as soon as the flow pauses. Result- steam burns or scalded nards.

Hooked to a constant-pressure coldwater hose or a large volume suspended container (gravity-fed), this could be a neat option for warmwater showers in the "wilderness".

edit: as a home-brewer, I utilize a copper coil wort chiller. Fifty feet of 1/4" copper pipe fed with cold tap water turns to scalding hot water when submerged in 200 degree wort. Curious to see how your mods develop...
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote