User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #2731
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,624
Thumb aaaaaaallmooost there....

Couple long nights into the early a.m. and she's ready to fire tomorrow... New tweaked air box and subframe in, carb rejetted coolant back in, had to do a good bit of modifying on the new Supercool radiator to get the fan and guard on it, made new guard bumpers outta hose instead of using the stockers, and did a repaint and hole relocation on the Rad brace. Then ground 3/8" clearance into the swingarm top and bottom of the plate, for the new 18" wheel, while relocating the lower rightside chainguard keeper outboard for needed clearance. Replaced the new shiny banjo bolts with the old OEM ones... (more reach/length and they use a 12mm socket not a 14mm) then bled the brakes...again. Hung new Black rear sets to replace my ol' bent up ones. Did so many small tweaks and touches that I cant remember them all (upper subframe bolt covers and MB PCV for instance) and replaced about 3/4 of the bolts on the bike... basically everyone I touched. Put alum angle in the vice and tweaked the HDB guards to fit precisely, made a new innertube shock guard to hang from the inner fender, also made a new better version used and stuck above with the RightStuff to keep mud and dirt from getting under the seat and around my wiring etc... installed fresh SU racks with added S/S hardware and RTV, gotta see if I like the new version.. if not I'll weld up the ol' ones and re-use 'em. Tried to bend the Powerbomb header which has never had good port match and/or tire clearance... could'nt do that so I flat sanded the flange for a MUCH better fit overall. Hung new Pastana FMX fat bars and HDB perch switch.

Tomorrow finalize the Guards, wire the new billet and clean looking HDB Start/Kill switch, wire a new left side grip/heat element, repack the LeoVince X3 after 23,000 repack free miles. Hang new Black Warp9 wheel with Red 44T sprocket, then hang tank/ seat and go for a break in.... reset the valves do a leakdown, re-bleed both brakes again and start modifying the new [s]smaller[/s] Pelican side boxes with lotsa elastic banding (from old 1550's) to hold gear in place... aaaaand try to remove the thousands of smiles of memories worth of ol' stickers from the old boxes... and reuse 'em!

Layed out for the cut...

Was here in the line of fire...

Now here...

Desire'e prepped for surgery..

Top almost done...

Top is good now the bottom...

Sanded and finished... with the tire where it was prior to the new swing arm, using a 106 link chain already stretched with 2-3/16" slack using a 15T/43T combo I now have 1" of tire clearance. Plenty since the new wheel/tire combo will only eat up 1/2", and I have another full 5/8" I can move the swing arm back. I am switching to a 16T primary w/44T rear, sooo I may add 2 links if needed.

Leather punch does the trick for the shock guard..

No hose clamps needed...

Before relocation but holding header for the best port match... I used to sacrifice some port match for tire clearance and fit.

Sanding an angle on the flange with a marker acting like Prussion blue...

Last look with the ol'ATV bars...

Losing an inch of height though... :11doh: (pic is out of whack) If I don't like it I'll switch back or switch brands...

Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #2732
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE BRAKE View Post
I am on the fence about doing this mod. to my 2007 i have had 2 different taller than stock and both were bad....i like the look but need it to be an upgrade as well...........lets hear the good and the bad ..thanks

I have had the mod done for 2 years now and love it!
Wind deflection is much improved. I initially had a lot of buffeting but I cut out the lip on the stock shield and now it is as good as it has ever been.
I made up a nice aluminum dash to mount all of my goodies to and installed rear signals on the front to narrow the look.
I highly recommend this mod.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #2733
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,984
I just finished up my WWW yesterday and had my first ride with it today. Interstate speeds proved to be a lot more doable, a whole lot of the wind is now hitting my high on my helmet, instead of across the chin.

I'm not sure if it's a result of the WWW, or just me noticing it more after the mod, but passing or following big trucks causes the front end to feel more squirrely. I've not had the bike but 2 weeks though, might have always been there.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #2734
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
Did some light mods up on the handlebars...

Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #2735
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Did some light mods up on the handlebars...

How do you like those mirrors? I've been considering changing mine because of the noise/wind buffeting created by the stockers.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #2736
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleknocker View Post
Scary how right you are. This shower project has inspired my next invention which I am pursuing now. I hope to have a prototype this week for an Everyday Edisons submission. It just came to me when I woke up one morning and I have refined it mentally, now it's time to act. Without this adventure into casting, I would have never used silicone molds, which I actually screwed the first one up and added too much catalyst. It gave me a silicone with the ideal properties for my new invention. My idea is ridiculously simple and I can't believe it hasn't been done yet so I need to jump on it now. Therefore this will be on the back burner for a while, no pun intended.
Good on you man! Many great inventions were the results of accidents. Some of my patents came from accidents that led me down another path of thinking.

You might think about reading up on TRIZ. It puts in place a great invention methodology that was distilled from thousands of patents. It's a great way to kick-start your brain with similar solutions from seemingly unrelated fields to what you are pursuing.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #2737
Half-a-Jeep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Re: Wheat Whacker Mod

I tried the Wheat Whacker mod, but the turbulent air still didn't clear my helmet, even with the tall windshield, so I went the other way and stole some parts from my KLR250. Now my helmet is in clean air while the wind hits me in the chest. The fairing is almost a direct bolt on, very easy to do, and very easy to undo if you want to go back to stock. If my bikes were the same color, it'd look like a fat KLR600.

Click for big.
Half-a-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #2738
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Cheap LED Tail light

I was looking for an LED replacement for my tail light. Came across lots of options from some that range as high as $80 down to about $24. Then I checked Flea-bay....found one for $3.95 SHIPPED!

So how could you not give it a try....

Here are the results compared to a stock 1157 Lamp. I realize its not a scientific comparison.

Here is the stock lamp and the LED replacement...

Stock tail light

Stock Brake Light

LED Tail Light

LED Brake Light

Conclusion is for $4 you get a light thats about the same as stock. I didn't notice any real gain in brightness. However you are saving a few watts so thats always good thing.

Defiantly worth $4...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #2739
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
awsome light i got one similar to that from superbrightleds for my 08 it blinks 3 times then stays solid for 19 dollars way better then $59 from other places
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #2740
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,266
There is a similar LED 1157 replacement at O'Reilly Auto Parts. The difference is that the LEDs are red and it comes in a pair pack for $17.

LINK HERE.

Share a pack with a KLR buddy.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #2741
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,480
Red LED's are the way to go. With the red tint plastic cover, the red LED's work really well and for whatever reason appear to be brighter.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #2742
JAKE BRAKE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
thanks half a jeep i have same model and color as you thanks for your input..........its weird the stock w/s is better than the 2 taller ones i had..........

JAKE BRAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #2743
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Short "Choke" Cable, Part II

The original Drag Specialties choke cable shaft extended a little beyond my comfort zone:

Thought I'd unscrew the knob, cut and re-thread the shaft, and reinstall the knob . . . except, the knob doesn't come off!

Thus, Mr. Moto-Tool and his cut-off wheel did the honors, a thin-nosed Vise-Grip plier held the shaft while I threaded it to fit the 10-32 knob I bought at my friendly local independent chopper shop:

This 10-32 die threaded the shortened shaft without incident:

Here's the final installation:

Note the archaic symbol for "choke," don't know of any for "starting enricher:"

Works fine, convenient access and control; full OFF, full ON, and in-between, with use of the tension nut.

If I had it to do over, I'd drill the switch cover hole farther toward the front of the bike (rather than centered on the cover), for longer-radius cable bends between knob and carburetor.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 05:31 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #2744
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,266
So that thing doesn't get bumped around by your knees (or vice versa)? Seems to be a vulnerable location, IMHO. More or less than stock... who knows.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #2745
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50

Mounted some D-Flex guards. They feel angled a little low but with the controls set right the bar lines up perfectly with them so I assume its just me over thinking it.

2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote