Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #3256
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Looks worthy and ready to go! Have fun and be careful of cagers.....
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #3257
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 626
As someone who just had to drill out a broken upper sub-frame bolt, Upgrade them, or go drill through which is what I did.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #3258
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorguy1979 View Post
As someone who just had to drill out a broken upper sub-frame bolt, Upgrade them, or go drill through which is what I did.
I had to drill out both of them yesterday. With a borrowed drill. In a Home Depot parking lot in New Hampshire after they let go on the superslab (which is an interesting feeling, but not quite as catastrophic as I would have pictured).

Should you find yourself in that situation, I can recommend the "Grabit" brand extractors. Also, Rok Straps will hold the frame together for a few miles while you ride through town on the pegs looking for a hardware store. That's not a mod so much, though.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #3259
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevChris View Post
I had to drill out both of them yesterday. With a borrowed drill. In a Home Depot parking lot in New Hampshire after they let go on the superslab (which is an interesting feeling, but not quite as catastrophic as I would have pictured).

Should you find yourself in that situation, I can recommend the "Grabit" brand extractors. Also, Rok Straps will hold the frame together for a few miles while you ride through town on the pegs looking for a hardware store. That's not a mod so much, though.
I bought the drill through subframe mod. I'll install it just as soon as Fedex gets around to delivering my motech crash bars. Out for delivery 3 days, no driver appearances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #3260
Adv Reilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I actually have the choke/ right mirror relocation bracket installed. Just haven't relocated the choke...

IMS tank is on my shortlist - grad student budget isn't ready for that yet.

I'll take care of the subframe bolts in the next day or two - forgot about that issue.

Am I missing in other cool mods that are cheap/ simple? I am blown away by the difference the wheatwhacker mod has made - like a new bike on the highway!

Thanks guys!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #3261
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Reilly View Post
I actually have the choke/ right mirror relocation bracket installed. Just haven't relocated the choke...
IMS tank is on my shortlist - grad student budget isn't ready for that yet.
I'll take care of the subframe bolts in the next day or two - forgot about that issue.
Am I missing in other cool mods that are cheap/ simple? I am blown away by the difference the wheatwhacker mod has made - like a new bike on the highway!
Thanks guys!
Stop worrying about the 'farkles' and go discover the wonderfull rides all over your great riding State of UT!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #3262
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Reilly View Post
Two come to mind that were not in your initial list:
  1. Drill out airbox
  2. Shim carb needle

Not required and your mileage may vary, but both cheap and simple.

Other than that, start riding it!
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #3263
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Speaking of Rotor Bolts, when we did my brother in laws doo I had him order a new bolt from the local Kawaski shop. The parts guy said "this is the first rotor bolt I have ever ordered"???????????????. Damm I guess their shop dosent change that sucker when they do the doo.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #3264
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Speaking of Rotor Bolts, when we did my brother in laws doo I had him order a new bolt from the local Kawaski shop. The parts guy said "this is the first rotor bolt I have ever ordered"???????????????. Damm I guess their shop dosent change that sucker when they do the doo.
It's one thing for a home mechanic to not do it, another for a Kawi dealer to not. Of course if they need to do the doo (remember, it's not a wear item or otherwise called for replacement by Kawi) chances are it's given out and toasted the engine, and most people will junk the bike rather than repair it (again remember, we're at a dealer). So yeah, can kinda see them rarely ordering one, but never?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #3265
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Damm I guess their shop dosent change that sucker when they do the doo.
They most likely don't do 'doos often either.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #3266
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
They most likely don't do 'doos often either.
My local Kawi dealer doesn't. They mentioned that the reason the pre-2008 bikes had any issues was riders over tightening the adjusting bolt - which is why Kawi made the 2008+ Doos thicker to take more abuse.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #3267
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,112
.. ahem .. not to start a fight .. but forget drilling the airbox .. you can't suck any more air in to the carb unless you do some carb mods and you are only allowing a shorter path for water (and other crap) to get into your air path ..

.. ymmv ..

.. shimming the needle and adding the extended fuel mixture screw, now those are good mods that will result in some instant performance enhancements .. don't forget about "drilling the slide" to 7/64 (which can be done with a sharp drill bit by hand, btw, no drill required) .. those are probably the three best carb mods you can do that have minimal impact on fuel/mpg and yet yield just enough performance improvements that you will smile .. a little ..

.. carrying a 14t front sprocket for off-road and twisties will really let those carb mods shine ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #3268
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. ahem .. not to start a fight .. but forget drilling the airbox .. you can't suck any more air in to the carb unless you do some carb mods and you are only allowing a shorter path for water (and other crap) to get into your air path ..

.. ymmv ..
Agreed, but some people swear by it so wanted to mention it. YMMV indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. shimming the needle and adding the extended fuel mixture screw, now those are good mods that will result in some instant performance enhancements .. don't forget about "drilling the slide" to 7/64 (which can be done with a sharp drill bit by hand, btw, no drill required) .. those are probably the three best carb mods you can do that have minimal impact on fuel/mpg and yet yield just enough performance improvements that you will smile .. a little ..

.. carrying a 14t front sprocket for off-road and twisties will really let those carb mods shine ..
These two points are good. Remember to pack your big ol' breaker bar for the sprocket nut
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #3269
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Stock KLR is choked at intake and exhaust. Granted, if you run the stock exhaust leaving the airbox alone will suffice. A full flow exhaust demands some airbox mods to get the full use of your new exhaust. Do any headwork, O/S valves, or performance cams you either have to ditch the airbox or leave it in, looking like swiss cheese. Air in, air out. Simple math.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #3270
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Agreed, but some people swear by it so wanted to mention it. YMMV indeed.
.. I absolutely agree .. it is worth mentioning and some of the guys do swear by it .. but for a "minimal" or "moderate" farkle-fest the rewards are just not there .. again .. everyone's mmv .. and I will admit I am relying on information from guys much smarter than myself on the topic .. but they actually race everything from cars to motorcycles and understand the mods and actual performance "enhancements" much more "scientifically" than I do .. like modding your carb for high velocity intakes/porting .. now you'll want to drill that airbox or eliminate it completely .. but that's a whole different ball of wax .. along with new cams .. lol .. but kiss your mpg and long-term reliability goodbye ..

.. okay .. I've regurgitated enough "old news" .. but I do love talking about and exploring all the design mods that can be done, especially to my KLR .. maybe if I get a second (or third) KLR I'll drop the dollars into building it up "to max" .. but I'm pretty sure, just like my old VW, the reliability will suffer along with the mpg .. lol ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
These two points are good. Remember to pack your big ol' breaker bar for the sprocket nut
.. yepper .. in the tool tube strapped to the front .. that sucker's heavy .. fwiw .. Eagle Mike makes a very nice replacement counter sprocket nut that is reusable .. but you will also need to add a new socket to your tool kit too .. ugh .. more weight ..

.. of course .. I travel about as light as a tank ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote