User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #3481
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
simple and stupid but makes me happy.

the old wellnuts were toast, so i tried the hardware stores version and the thread pitch was wrong. so i went back to cycle gear and grabbed a pack of these.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #3482
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
simple and stupid but makes me happy.

the old wellnuts were toast, so i tried the hardware stores version and the thread pitch was wrong. so i went back to cycle gear and grabbed a pack of these.

Nice. Kind of looks medieval like.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #3483
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
Nice. Kind of looks medieval like.
Looks like it could hurt you in a bad tumble.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3484
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
if im on that side of the bike then i deserve it.

and since its the zombie trooper, i thought it to be appropriate.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #3485
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
its way too clean and shiny to be a zombie trooper. you need to darken and flatten it up
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #3486
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
if im on that side of the bike then i deserve it.

Love it!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #3487
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Here's an interesting thread that I just ran across that would seem to have good applicability to the KLR.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335944

In short: The pre-08 IMS tanks have a stupid design that allows about 1/2 gallon of fuel to remain in the tank after running dry on a standard set up. This would be of interest to distance riders who worry about the range of the bike.

So, how would you get that extra little bit out of there? This would seem like a good solution.

Adapt and install a vacuum operated fuel pump, either the Walbro or the Mikuni, of the appropriate size.
http://www.mikuni.com/c-fuel_pumps.html
http://www.walbro.com/brochurefiles/...l%202-9-05.pdf

Here's how I think it could be done without too much time, effort, and/or cost (and, may do it in the future).

Plumb onto the carburetor vacuum port used for the petcock. Replacing the petcock with the Yamaha non vacuum operated one or mod the stock one to no longer be vacuum operated. Take the straw from the "on" position draw tube and put some fuel line onto it and then put the end onto the bottom of the right side tank lobe. That would draw all of the fuel from the right side and use the remaining fuel from the left side as the reserve. To get real tricky, you could machine duel draw tubes like the guy did in the KLX thread, using a fuel line routed into the bottom of the left side tank lobe or rig a second draw tube.

Anyway, just a thought for the collective.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #3488
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Here's an interesting thread that I just ran across that would seem to have good applicability to the KLR.

In short: The pre-08 IMS tanks have a stupid design that allows about 1/2 gallon of fuel to remain in the tank after running dry on a standard set up. This would be of interest to distance riders who worry about the range of the bike.

So, how would you get that extra little bit out of there? This would seem like a good solution.

Adapt and install a vacuum operated fuel pump, either the Walbro or the Mikuni, of the appropriate size.

Here's how I think it could be done without too much time, effort, and/or cost (and, may do it in the future).

Plumb onto the carburetor vacuum port used for the petcock. Replacing the petcock with the Yamaha non vacuum operated one or mod the stock one to no longer be vacuum operated. Take the straw from the "on" position draw tube and put some fuel line onto it and then put the end onto the bottom of the right side tank lobe. That would draw all of the fuel from the right side and use the remaining fuel from the left side as the reserve. To get real tricky, you could machine duel draw tubes like the guy did in the KLX thread, using a fuel line routed into the bottom of the left side tank lobe or rig a second draw tube.

ANother option would be to lean the bike to the right side while popping a wheelie...
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #3489
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Clever kawadad.

FWIW: There is a fairly popular mod for the stock tank that better drains the left side, but I don't remember the details.

I need to do something because when I run around town, I run down to the reserve tank to notify me that the normal tank is empty. I almost had to tip her over to get a little gas one day.

If someone made a cheap fuel indicator I'd be all over that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #3490
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefer View Post
If someone made a cheap fuel indicator I'd be all over that.
They do! It even has a reset knob.

That's mine saying I've got about 20 - 40 miles to go before I hit reserve.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #3491
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:

There is nothing like half a gallon in there. My old IMS took 7.2 gallons the first time I filled it. On a couple of occasions I have run it down to where it took 7.1 gal. to fill it. Even allowing for differences in pumps, and for the possibility that the tank may have stretched, so that it now takes more than 7.2 gallons, i don't think there is enough inaccessible fuel in there to warrant any effort or expense at all. My KLR does not get particularly good mileage if the claims of others are to be believed. Even so, I can easily top 300 mi. on a tank in most conditions.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #3492
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
I like the reserve reserve. Gives me two chances to get to the nearest fuel. I just lay her down to get the last leeetle bit.... pretty simple really.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #3493
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
There is nothing like half a gallon in there. My old IMS took 7.2 gallons the first time I filled it. On a couple of occasions I have run it down to where it took 7.1 gal. to fill it. Even allowing for differences in pumps, and for the possibility that the tank may have stretched, so that it now takes more than 7.2 gallons, i don't think there is enough inaccessible fuel in there to warrant any effort or expense at all. My KLR does not get particularly good mileage if the claims of others are to be believed. Even so, I can easily top 300 mi. on a tank in most conditions.
Sure looks like around 1/2 gallon or so. You've got my curiosity up, so I'll measure it and then post the results.

I must be twisting the go handle too much, but I'm onto reserve at around 200 miles or so. Which is what go me thinking in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I like the reserve reserve. Gives me two chances to get to the nearest fuel. I just lay her down to get the last leeetle bit.... pretty simple really.
Leaning over an unloaded bike is easy enough and what I've done before, but my idea was for the loaded up explorer who might be in the middle of BFE with a ton of gear and no gas stops in sight.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #3494
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Talking

Quote:

Leaning over an unloaded bike is easy enough and what I've done before, but my idea was for the loaded up explorer who might be in the middle of BFE with a ton of gear and no gas stops in sight.
HaHa.... Desiree' is almost always fully loaded......
I justs picks her ups...... aaaand now when I'm in Bum F*** Egypt I have a kickstarter too
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #3495
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Kawidad,

Cool idea, if I get around to doing the Hurricane mod, I will think about that one. I have had the 7.5, 8, whatever gallon IMS tank for about 10 tanks now.... I think. Since getting the tank I have always felt the need to stop before I hit reserve, may be it is just habit. Saying that I "felt it was getting low" once, before reserve hit and put in 7.3 gallons. I was amazed