Oddometer: 3,230
Thanks, adding to my winter wish list.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #3692
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
You can also use thin aluminum sheets for the WW mod. Or the next best thing you find in the nearest dumpster
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #3693
Agaetis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I know this horse was beat dead long ago but here are some side by sides of the Acerbis Supermoto fender swap out I did.

Agaetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #3694
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulk View Post
We seem to have ouf fair share of rocky trails here. Every once in a while I tread where the KLR runs out of clearance... Skid plate is a hero, but ends short of the foot peg mounting. I've now ripped both foot pegs, breaking/ stripping the mounting bolts, on two separate occasions. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
If you are bending/breaking pegs, you really need to get a different bike. Seriously. Mounting a rigid extension to protect the folding pegs is a great way to rip a hole in the back of your leg.

You should also be carrying a spare rear brake pivot mount. Those are usually the first thing to get taken out in the rocks.

I trust that you've already installed a low profile oil drain plug? If not, you are courting a broken center case riding in the rocks.
The peg bolt issue is no joke. They are flexible and will strip. Not enough meat in those threads. If you ride "technical" offroad (for a KLR, mind you), then just go ahead and weld the brackets to the frame. You'll be amazed at how much flex is gone and control is gained. To properly fix the threads is way more work and still leaves a flexy mount.

I've never experienced or seen a rear brake MC bracket break. I've dropped my bike in plenty of rock gardens. "Carrying a spare" just sounds ridiculous to me.

The low-pro drain plug is an absolute necessity.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #3695
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Just finished a top end restoration and a partial bottom end resto as well. Just in time, as the last race of the Blackjack Enduro Circuit is on Sunday.
Riding to maintain a 2nd place class finish for the season.

Took tons of pics of the rebuild. I'll try to share here later.
-DustyRags
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #3696
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I've never experienced or seen a rear brake MC bracket break. I've dropped my bike in plenty of rock gardens. "Carrying a spare" just sounds ridiculous to me.
I reckon he's referring to the rear brake pedal and master cylinder mounting bracket.

I've seen two of them break, and it's a well-enough known problem that there is a ready made aftermarket solution: Link
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #3697
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Question for those of you running hand guards. Anyone running the Acerbis guards? I am looking for something that bolts to the handlebars at 2 points to make a rigid mount. Tired of my stock handguards blowing into my hands at highway speeds.
I used to run Acerbis, but they aren't very sturdy. Broke a set and then damaged the replacement set...

I now run Enduro Engineering hand guards, they are bulletproof. Not to mention less expensive...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #3698
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I reckon he's referring to the rear brake pedal and master cylinder mounting bracket.

I've seen two of them break, and it's a well-enough known problem that there is a ready made aftermarket solution: Link
Stu- if you're using aftermarket options as justification for a perceived problem, then you must be sipping the kool-aid.

Tail wagging the dog.

Carrying spare tubes is one thing, but a spare MC bracket?
-DustyRags
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #3699
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Stu- if you're using aftermarket options as justification for a perceived problem, then you must be sipping the kool-aid.

Tail wagging the dog.

It's a weak spot. I have literally seen two of them break, the rider hits a rock at speed and bang!

I see it as no different than replacing the OEM bars with some nice aluminum Renthals, or replacing the rims with Excels...
Gonna be more rugged when you need it.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #3700
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Link to my lazy man's Vapor computer install (including odometer programming):
http://klrworld.com/forums/handlebar...tall-tutorial/

Link to my shock boot and clutch lever boot mini-mods:
http://klrworld.com/forums/handlebar...ock-boot-mods/

Link to my extensive lighting modifications:
http://klrworld.com/forums/lighting/my-custom-lighting/

Let me know if you have questions. Sorry to cross-post with these links to a different internet resource (sometimes frowned upon) but I thought some KLR guys here might appreciate these as well.

BTW: the rear brake master cylinder mount breaking is something that can happen, it's not a "perceived problem" so much as a definite possibility. It happened to me during a not-so-bad crash and it was the only thing broken. If it's hit just right, it's an easy break. I'd carry a spare if I was traveling long distances but I don't really and if I did break it again at least I could limp home with the front brake. That weakness isn't a secret, it's happened to quite a few people.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient...w=1280&bih=917

Myfuture_yourdebt screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 01:55 PM
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #3701
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
The peg bolt issue is no joke. They are flexible and will strip. Not enough meat in those threads. If you ride "technical" offroad (for a KLR, mind you), then just go ahead and weld the brackets to the frame. You'll be amazed at how much flex is gone and control is gained. To properly fix the threads is way more work and still leaves a flexy mount.

The low-pro drain plug is an absolute necessity.
My peg flexed right off!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #3702
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
I believe Stu is recommending replacement with a sturdier version... not carring a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
It's a weak spot. I have literally seen two of them break, the rider hits a rock at speed and bang!
I was with Stu in Moab years ago when someone in our group snapped one off. If I remember right, Arrowhead had a vendors replacement on-hand.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #3703
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I believe Stu is recommending replacement with a sturdier version... not carring a spare.

I was with Stu in Moab years ago when someone in our group snapped one off. If I remember right, Arrowhead had a vendors replacement on-hand.
That would make 3 then!
The two I referenced were Crocker's (from the Cal Posse) dad and our very own Nakedwaterskier (Jeffrey).

I have never heard of the aftermarket one breaking.

I suppose if one was on tour one could pack a spare, but I'd rather replace it with a sturdy one and be done with it, as you say.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #3704
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:

Tail wagging the dog.

Mine broke and I still have the broken piece to prove it.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #3705
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
There are two ways to break that bracket. One is a direct hit. The other is to get a branch or stump wedged between the brake lever and the engine; there is enough leverage there to break the stock bracket. You can protect against that break by using a brake saver cable between the brake pedal and the frame or skid plate.

I suppose the justification for carrying a spare is the lack of a workable field fix to get the rear break operating again. I haven't read about it much lately, but there used to be a lot of guys, way more than three, who had the aftermarket bracket because they broke the stock one.

judjonzz screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 02:39 PM
judjonzz is offline   Reply With Quote