Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #3706
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I've never experienced or seen a rear brake MC bracket break. I've dropped my bike in plenty of rock gardens. "Carrying a spare" just sounds ridiculous to me.
I'll dig up pics...... having said that and having broke one.

I don't carry a spare.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #3707
tjk2134
n00b

Oddometer: 9
on a recent 2008klr and deer collision, the deer hit my front right side, broke some plastic, hit my might leg and boot. My boot got pushed back and my heal broke the rear master cylinder bracket. I was lucky to stay uprigh.
tjk2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #3708
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Ya mean this thang?
Right side drop in a rick garden. Zip tied it all out of the way, finished the ride, and rode home ~150 miles with the front brake only. Bent the actuator rod too, and replaced the whole works with used stock parts. Didn't know there were aftermarket replacements.
Jim

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #3709
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
"I've ridden in rock gardens and mine didn't break so it must not be possible!"

Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #3710
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
"I've ridden in rock gardens and mine didn't break so it must not be possible!"

Is that what you think I said? Read more closely, n00b.

My comments were about the ridiculous suggestion to carry a spare and the crippling fear that many KLR riders have of breaking a motorcycle part.

Am I free to offer an opinion based on my experiences, which include many miles of hard off-road riding on and with KLRs? I've broken nearly every other part on my bike, but lo, the rear master cylinder bracket is unblemished and I've never witnessed one break. That's what I said... in general.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #3711
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
ridiculous suggestion to carry a spare and the crippling fear that many KLR riders have of breaking a motorcycle part.
Watched this one from the sideline, here's my .02

Spares are great to have, but think long and hard about what you carry.

If that part breaks, are you stuck or able to limp home? When the answer is limp back, it's probably not worth carrying. Spare master link, yeah bring it. Brake mount? You have a spare already, it's called the front brake.

I bring tools, tubes, air, master link, phone, and cash. Add a spark plug if it's a 2-smoke. After that, who knows. Odds are if you bring it something else will go wrong.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #3712
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Watched this one from the sideline, here's my .02

Spares are great to have, but think long and hard about what you carry.

If that part breaks, are you stuck or able to limp home? When the answer is limp back, it's probably not worth carrying. Spare master link, yeah bring it. Brake mount? You have a spare already, it's called the front brake.

I bring tools, tubes, air, master link, phone, and cash. Add a spark plug if it's a 2-smoke. After that, who knows. Odds are if you bring it something else will go wrong.
Exactly. A bike over-ladened with "spare" parts is a heavy one...
-DustyRags
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #3713
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Zip ties, tie wire and fast setting epoxy go a long way. I also carry abt 20 ft of small dia braided rope for a tow if someone needs one (or me!)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #3714
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Is that what you think I said? Read more closely, n00b.

My comments were about the ridiculous suggestion to carry a spare and the crippling fear that many KLR riders have of breaking a motorcycle part.

Am I free to offer an opinion based on my experiences, which include many miles of hard off-road riding on and with KLRs? I've broken nearly every other part on my bike, but lo, the rear master cylinder bracket is unblemished and I've never witnessed one break. That's what I said... in general.
DD, BTW, I think this guy was kidding, agreeing with you in a sarcastic way.....
Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #3715
Adiventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Speckin of brakes, is there any real difference between the EBC front rotor and the Galfer Wave one? I'm thinking about taking the plunge, and the EBC is cheaper. What about the "CZR" sets on eLame with the twin piston calipers? That seems to be the thing to beat price wise, new pads, 320 rotor, and twin caliper for 160? It's that or 20 more for the one that reuses the stock caliper.

Adiventure screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:27 PM
Adiventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #3716
Croissant Warrior
Because it's there

Oddometer: 187
KLR650 Lens pic

Hey KLRers - this is less about modifs then a request. I am shipping my KLR abroad and may need a lens swap for left hand riding. Can one of you take a close up photo of your headlight lens (frontal view) and PM it to me? My KLR is on a boat right now...

~CW
Croissant Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #3717
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 781
Hope this helps.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #3718
Paulk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
If you are bending/breaking pegs, you really need to get a different bike. Seriously. Mounting a rigid extension to protect the folding pegs is a great way to rip a hole in the back of your leg.

You should also be carrying a spare rear brake pivot mount. Those are usually the first thing to get taken out in the rocks.

I trust that you've already installed a low profile oil drain plug? If not, you are courting a broken center case riding in the rocks.
Thanks for the responses guys I'm not sure we all agree,on why we ride KLR's, but we do. And I know my '08 has been the cheapest, problem ridden vehicle ever owned. (oil consumption, wiring, rubber degradation, suspension, doohicky, muffler bolts, wheel bearings, handlebars, footpeg bolts..etc....)

The footpeg thing is more of a, I suck as a rider somedays, issue. Riding too fast following the KTM's and DRZ's through the rocky terrain. I am not looking to protect the entire footpeg, but rather the cast(?) bracket that is supposed to be rigid mounted to the frame.. This is where I find the damage from the rocks, chipping away at the leading edge, and the bolt heads.
Welding the pegs is a last resort, I think that the pegs are removable to facillitate servicing..

The rear MC mount... knock on wood, unbroken even after bending the lever away from the case.
Low pro drain plug...check, customized by a file

NEWNER, thanks for the pic! hope you didn't have to ride too far home using the passenger peg.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #3719
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulk View Post
Thanks for the responses guys I'm not sure we all agree,on why we ride KLR's, but we do. And I know my '08 has been the cheapest, problem ridden vehicle ever owned. (oil consumption, wiring, rubber degradation, suspension, doohicky, muffler bolts, wheel bearings, handlebars, footpeg bolts..etc....)

The footpeg thing is more of a, I suck as a rider somedays, issue. Riding too fast following the KTM's and DRZ's through the rocky terrain. I am not looking to protect the entire footpeg, but rather the cast(?) bracket that is supposed to be rigid mounted to the frame.. This is where I find the damage from the rocks, chipping away at the leading edge, and the bolt heads.
Welding the pegs is a last resort, I think that the pegs are removable to facillitate servicing..

The rear MC mount... knock on wood, unbroken even after bending the lever away from the case.
Low pro drain plug...check, customized by a file

NEWNER, thanks for the pic! hope you didn't have to ride too far home using the passenger peg.
Im not sure why everyone else bought their KLR but one of my big reasons was it is like a blank slate. without any mods it gets you around but that is about it. On the other hand there are so many mods and farkles available due to the longevity of the species that you can basically build the bike you want, personalize it. One of my stress relieving pastimes is changing and wrenching on the bike, improving it and making it my own.
This also answers the question for the weenies that question my tactics........
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #3720
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

FWIW, my pegs have been welded dince 2008 and I have done major service on both sides of the motor with only minor clearance issues. There is one bolt on the clutch side by the peg that took some creativity to remove. That's it.
-DustyRags