ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #3721
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum
 
RustySpokes's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
FWIW, my pegs have been welded dince 2008 and I have done major service on both sides of the motor with only minor clearance issues. There is one bolt on the clutch side by the peg that took some creativity to remove. That's it.
Do you know if you can still get the engine out if needed?
__________________
"Without motorcycles people live very boring lives"-Malcolm Smith
RustySpokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #3722
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer
 
TengaiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Tappan, NY
Oddometer: 3,119
My pegs are welded and I can get the engine in and out of the frame.



TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #3723
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 2,564
Seat concepts kit

Today, 12:13 PM
#1


GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden city, Michigan
Oddometer: 1,637


KLR Seat Concepts install
I ordered a Seat concepts seat kit for my 2008 KLR in the firmer than standard foam.So I figured I would share some pics and info in case anyone is interested.

The new foam is much much nicer.It is not only wider but much denser and of high quality.



After removing the 70 or so staples and removing the old cover and foam you want to smooth any sharp edges on the pan.
I also smoothed all the little dimples from the old staples.
Now is also a good time to check your pan for any clearace issues against your tank,especially if you have a aftermarket tank.
I have a IMS 10 gallon tank and the left side is tight so I shaved a little off of the pan on that side which helps on installing the seat because the 2008 also has the little bolt on the tongue of the seat.



Then I used a little 3m adhesive spray in a few areas to hold the foam on the pan before stapling on the cover.
Here are a few shots of the foam on the pan before I put on the cover.





I followed the instructions and stapled the cover on.It is kind of hard to get all the wrinkles out of the front area.Even after I get them out ,a few seem to come back after sitting on the seat.But overall I am happy with it for my first time .



I chose the EMBOSSED cover with the small dimpling in it.









Then I put the alaskan leather sheepskin over it.





In the instructions they tell you they use a staple gun from Harbor freight tools.So I went and bought one on sale for $21.99
and let me tell you It works nicely.
It is the small body 20 gauge wide crown gun and it shoots the arrow T50 staples just like the traditional silver hand stapler.



You go to Home Depot to buy the staples.I used 1/4 inch staples for most of it and 5/16 in a few areas where the material overlapped.



I have only went for a short ride so far but am impressed with the seat.
It is the same shape and angle as stock but wider and firmer and that is what they advertise.It is a huge improvement over stock,but I think they should also offer a FLAT seat option also.
I prefer a flat seat and in the future I may take the cover off and take a taper cut off of the seat to flatten it more but for now I am going to ride it as is .
I hope this helps anyone interested in this seat.
__________________

__________________
2008 KLR 705
2001 GAS GAS 321
2004 ST1300
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #3724
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum
 
RustySpokes's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Oddometer: 923
Thanks! My seat concepts kit is supposed to arrive tomorrow...
__________________
"Without motorcycles people live very boring lives"-Malcolm Smith
RustySpokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #3725
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.
 
DirtyDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa... it's OK
Oddometer: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
Do you know if you can still get the engine out if needed?
I don't know first-hand, but I'd think yes. There is clearance at the top side of the motor. Only the aft motor mount is a flush one with a through-bolt. The top and front mounts are offset. I think it can be done.


...


Where has Willys been lately?
__________________
Lordy with my hand upon the Bible
Swear I shot the damn devil, not a bitch
But the po-po don't give a shit
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #3726
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I don't know first-hand, but I'd think yes. There is clearance at the top side of the motor. Only the aft motor mount is a flush one with a through-bolt. The top and front mounts are offset. I think it can be done.


...


Where has Willys been lately?
He is prolly tired of youse guys always chewin on his ass.
__________________
2008 KLR 705
2001 GAS GAS 321
2004 ST1300
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #3727
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
I'm experimenting with a pre cold start sump heater and lower radiator hose heater on my KLR650 over this winter and will report back with results and my impressions.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #3728
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Today, 12:13 PM
#1


GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden city, Michigan
Oddometer: 1,637


KLR Seat Concepts install
I ordered a Seat concepts seat kit for my 2008 KLR in the firmer than standard foam.So I figured I would share some pics and info in case anyone is interested.

The new foam is much much nicer.It is not only wider but much denser and of high quality.



After removing the 70 or so staples and removing the old cover and foam you want to smooth any sharp edges on the pan.
I also smoothed all the little dimples from the old staples.
Now is also a good time to check your pan for any clearace issues against your tank,especially if you have a aftermarket tank.
I have a IMS 10 gallon tank and the left side is tight so I shaved a little off of the pan on that side which helps on installing the seat because the 2008 also has the little bolt on the tongue of the seat.



Then I used a little 3m adhesive spray in a few areas to hold the foam on the pan before stapling on the cover.
Here are a few shots of the foam on the pan before I put on the cover.





I followed the instructions and stapled the cover on.It is kind of hard to get all the wrinkles out of the front area.Even after I get them out ,a few seem to come back after sitting on the seat.But overall I am happy with it for my first time .



I chose the EMBOSSED cover with the small dimpling in it.









Then I put the alaskan leather sheepskin over it.





In the instructions they tell you they use a staple gun from Harbor freight tools.So I went and bought one on sale for $21.99
and let me tell you It works nicely.
It is the small body 20 gauge wide crown gun and it shoots the arrow T50 staples just like the traditional silver hand stapler.



You go to Home Depot to buy the staples.I used 1/4 inch staples for most of it and 5/16 in a few areas where the material overlapped.



I have only went for a short ride so far but am impressed with the seat.
It is the same shape and angle as stock but wider and firmer and that is what they advertise.It is a huge improvement over stock,but I think they should also offer a FLAT seat option also.
I prefer a flat seat and in the future I may take the cover off and take a taper cut off of the seat to flatten it more but for now I am going to ride it as is .
I hope this helps anyone interested in this seat.
__________________

Those few wrinkles will come out in time as the cover settles and shrinks, mine did. You did a great job!
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #3729
Aron31
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Aron31's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Western Chicago Il
Oddometer: 113
Who out there has thoroughly tested their crash bars? Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Seems like the 2 big ones are the sw motechs and the happy trails pd kit. I think givi also released some as well. They all look great brand new but what about after a couple offs? Any bending? Tweaking? Fitment issues? I just don't want to waste the money on something that's going to go to crap the first nap it takes.
__________________

My 2008 Klr 650 (orange)
Wife's 2008 Klr 650 (red)
Aron31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #3730
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,029
As much as I try I can't seem to damage my KLR......the SW Motech crash bars work very good.

lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #3731
RandoCommando
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Who out there has thoroughly tested their crash bars? Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Seems like the 2 big ones are the sw motechs and the happy trails pd kit. I think givi also released some as well. They all look great brand new but what about after a couple offs? Any bending? Tweaking? Fitment issues? I just don't want to waste the money on something that's going to go to crap the first nap it takes.
I can verify that my HT PD Nerf Bars work.
I went down in WV and the highway bar bent but my bike was spared major damage.
My leg is another story.
I fractured my distal fibula.
__________________
1999 KLR 650 (her name is KLaRissa) DOOHICKEY DONE!
2013 BMW F800GS (her name is FranGelicaS)
Please. Ride careful, ride safe, ride defensively! This thread should be mandatory reading!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #3732
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer
 
doogiepooch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Canton, NC
Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Who out there has thoroughly tested their crash bars? Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Seems like the 2 big ones are the sw motechs and the happy trails pd kit. I think givi also released some as well. They all look great brand new but what about after a couple offs? Any bending? Tweaking? Fitment issues? I just don't want to waste the money on something that's going to go to crap the first nap it takes.

Had SW's on my 2 KLR's. My 88 my rear tried to pass my front on some loose gravel in a sharp turn I over corrected and face planted (hard) into the pavement at about 30 mph. Slight scrape on the bars and a broken mirror are all that happened. No deflection or bending. Some touch up paint and it was good as new. My 2012 has fallen over twice, one on each side on pavement, no attempt to catch it. I have a hair scratch on one side of the bars, the other side I can't even find a scratch. I can't comment on the Happy Trails bars, I've seen some youtube videos after drops and wrecks and guys seem to be happy with how they've held up. I have read of some slight fitment isses on the HT bars but nothing some pulling and tugging wouldn't fix. I think between the 2 it's really a style preference. My personal thoughts are the SW's are way sexier. The Givi's just don't protect enough for my taste, I've heard other mirror that. Just do one thing, don't fall for the $100 hwy pegs from SW. I bought them for my 88' and they sucked. On my 2012 I ordered some $7 folding foot pegs and they worked perfect. SW's all the way.



__________________
Current: 13 Ninja 300 Past: 12 KLR650, 09 Ninja 250, 98 VFR, 88 KLR650, 88 XT350, 07 ZX6R
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves....Edward R. Murrow
www.nationalmssociety.org
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #3733
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat
 
lexluther11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 1,029
Hot Cams

Just had Hot Cams installed and I'm liking the increase in power. I haven't had a chance to really try them out because of all the rain we are getting but I do notice the torque and lower rpm at cruise. Will let you know more once I give them a good workout.

lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #3734
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!
 
Jettn Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
Oddometer: 1,475
Hey Gas Guy... nice job, I think your gonna find that your new SC is more comfy WITHOUT your Alaska Leather sheepskin... Yea I know doesn't add up but on a little 4,500mi hop down to FLA this past February that's what I found out.
Then told Oldstove over at KLRWorld and after testing it out on his he said hmmmm no kidd'n yer right.
Check it out and get back to me... it's weird!

As for the SC I'll prob sell mine when I get back from the ride I'm currently on, since it just sits gathering dust in the shop anyhow....
Foam weighs a ton and I like my RM betta.

As for welding the pegs.... not for me since I swap engines more than most guy's swap tires.
I need it to be as smooooth as possible when I've gotta 120lbs hang'n on on my finger tips.
But I understand some doin' it.

Peace,
JJ
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #3735
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
Just had Hot Cams installed and I'm liking the increase in power. I haven't had a chance to really try them out because of all the rain we are getting but I do notice the torque and lower rpm at cruise. Will let you know more once I give them a good workout.

Keep them adjusted to mid tolerance and check them often. They are not as forgiving as stockers, they have a tendency to wear if not to spec. Did you do headwork or 1mm over valves?
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014