User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #3811
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Gas Guy,

Thanks for the link, couldn't get a good search result earlier, that is the install thread I was looking for.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #3812
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
Gas Guy,

Thanks for the link, couldn't get a good search result earlier, that is the install thread I was looking for.
No problem, here is the other link for the tail/stop light.
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...%20review.html
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #3813
IDRIDR

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
I would caution AGAINST getting one for your tail/brake lamp though. For whatever reason it's not as bright as the stock bulb, even the brightest one they have. Also the difference between the tail and brake illumination level is pretty minor, can't really tell. Better to leave that a regular incandescent bulb, IMHO.
If you want your tail/brake to be seen, consider one of these. A bit brighter than the incandescent and has a flashing function. It says to the tail gaiter: "Back Off"

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/LE...OW/KLR650.aspx
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #3814
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
Gas Guy,

I would order these bulbs over the ones used in the writeup:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

Identical size to OEM bulbs, 2x as bright.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #3815
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
I would caution AGAINST getting one for your tail/brake lamp though. For whatever reason it's not as bright as the stock bulb, even the brightest one they have. Also the difference between the tail and brake illumination level is pretty minor, can't really tell. Better to leave that a regular incandescent bulb, IMHO.
I installed the superbrighleds as you have described but I also installed the stop/tail and license plate bulbs. While the stop/tail is not brighter it will last longer which is one reason I decided to install it since I had a tail light bulb go out while I was riding at night. Also the current draw on the alternator is reduced. I am looking now at installing some additional lighting on the rear for better night time visibility. Let me know if anyone has any bright ideas.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #3816
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
I installed the superbrighleds as you have described but I also installed the stop/tail and license plate bulbs. While the stop/tail is not brighter it will last longer which is one reason I decided to install it since I had a tail light bulb go out while I was riding at night. Also the current draw on the alternator is reduced. I am looking now at installing some additional lighting on the rear for better night time visibility. Let me know if anyone has any bright ideas.
I also picked up some led liscence plate bolts to install.
I think that should help alot having 2 green leds shining straight back.
And of course alot of reflective stickers on the back of the bike and on the bags.
I plan on picking up a hi-viz vest also.
You sure can't be too visible nowadays with these cage texters.
IBA # 23,716
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #3817
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Reflective USA and CANADIAN stickers

Also, if anyone is interested check out Flashback.ca online for reflective stickers.

This guy Terry in Canada sells these.
They are 3M and made in Canada or Usa.
IBA # 23,716
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #3818
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,293
Mods added today- 2 inch Rox Risers, Moose Racing skid plate, KLR tank bago and Acerbis supermoto front fender

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #3819
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
SLULTRA from Nova electronics. http://www.strobesnmore.com/Nova-Wid...LTRA-LEDs.html Super bright, flash patterns nearly guarantee the bimbo on the cell phone behind you will see when you brake! I have one on each of my KLRs.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #3820
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,875
Regarding bright brake lights, several friends with VStroms run Hyperlites modules in addition to the stock light. They work and look great. I'm planning on adding one to my KLR.

http://www.hyperlites.com
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #3821
1marka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
KLR toolbox question

Does anyone know if the '08 up KLR toolbox will fit the '07 earlier KLR? This is the small box behind the seat.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #3822
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Just put those on my '08 and '06 KLRs. WAY better than the stockers, esp. on the '08. Part Number you want is WLED-W4-90. $2.59 each. While you're at it, get 2 of the WLED-G4-90 (same bulb, but green) to do your Neutral and Turn Signal indicators. I chose not to get one for the highbeam since I have only ridden at night maybe twice so never use it. If you get one be sure to choose blue. You want the same color bulb as the lense it's going through.

They work great and will last forever.

I didn't do the turn signal indicator bulbs as they are intermittent.
I did do the high beam bulb as I ALWAYS have my high beam on during daytime riding. I used white bulbs since the plastic covers for the neutral and high beam indicators are green and blue respectively.
I also used white bulbs for the instrument indicators.
You're right about the Tail/Brake bulb not being as bright as stock. I just keep it as a spare now. I ended up going with the X shaped LED one that flashes. I bought it from another web sight. That thing is bright and grabs attention with the flashing, which is adjustable somewhat.
I also changed my license plate bulb as that was a watt eater as well.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #3823
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 246
Careful with that high beam indicator bulb Eugene, i put in one of the blue led ones and it blinds me at night when i need to see the most! I did the same thing in my Samurai, you think I would have learned.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #3824
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
full restoration help

Finally, I'm getting back into a rent house with a proper garage! I pick up the keys in an hour and I'm already planning out how to spend my winter in my new work shop. I've decided on a full rebuild of the piggie.

So here is the pig as it is now, just picture it with a cover on and few inches of snow hanging out. It's a 2000 I picked up in July with unknown miles, P/O guessed 30k plus the 3k on the Vapor but I'd be willing to add 20k to that. All the farkles had already been done including progressive springs, HID headlight, Vapor, power outlet, LED tail light and tall wind shield. I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty.
Since then I've been catching up on long over due maintenance. Now it runs like a top and doesn't ever miss a beat, I was even able to start it last night after sitting in snow and sub freezing temps for over a week.
However the bike is clearly high mileage and deserves some attention to detail. I've decided to take it down to the frame and rebuild it proper, too much has been let go and I think I need to start from scratch or risk missing something. GAS GUY was a big help answering my engine performance questions, thanks brother! I don't think I want to sink the money into the pit for the new piston + head work. I'm hoping I can just get by with new rings and all gaskets? It isn't that bad of an oil burner, maybe a quarter quart every 1k.
So after the verbose intro can someone point me towards a detailed rebuild report so I can at least brace myself for the unseen? I've searched and haven't turned up anything covering the whole process.
Thanks guys!
2012 Masi CX SS
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #3825
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69

I really like how this bike turned out, http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=12442

It no longer has that homely look, ya know?

I'll be ditching the current fairing & silly wind shield in favor of a DIY rally type fairing to gain some off road ability back. Some guy from South America did a great job just using PVC and a heat gun, I've lost the link but if anyone know's the bike I'm talking about post up!
2012 Masi CX SS
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote