User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #3931
DanMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
trailtech vapor

So I bought a trailtech vapor about a month ago. This one and I went to install it this monday only to be very annoyed. They sent me the wrong frigen bolts for the rotor.

For those that don't know the speedo works like a basic bicycle speed sensor. Magnetic sensor and a magnet. The magnet is a magnetic bolt you are suppose to replace a rotor bolt with. I went to do that but the bolt they sent was far too small.

That right there is enough to be a load of crap IMO but I figured I could email them and get a replacement one sent over. So I emailed there tech support on monday.. I still haven't heard back. I emailed sales this morning and within 2 hours they sent me a link of where I could *purchase* the bolt they were suppose to send.

What the fuck.

Not only did they simply ignore my email to the tech address, they want me to pay 10$'s to ship a bolt to me. The product seems good quality and a fairly smart design.. but this is just awful IMO. Its not the worst customer service ever had, but its pretty bad.

Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe I'm missing something but everything I've read about the installation on a gen 1 KLR650 is that you get the correct bolt.
DanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #3932
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Sorry to hear that Dan. I love my Vapor Stealth and I am sure that after this set back you will agree...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #3933
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMac View Post
So I bought a trailtech vapor about a month ago. This one and I went to install it this monday only to be very annoyed. They sent me the wrong frigen bolts for the rotor.

For those that don't know the speedo works like a basic bicycle speed sensor. Magnetic sensor and a magnet. The magnet is a magnetic bolt you are suppose to replace a rotor bolt with. I went to do that but the bolt they sent was far too small.

Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe I'm missing something but everything I've read about the installation on a gen 1 KLR650 is that you get the correct bolt.
http://klrworld.com/forums/handlebar...tall-tutorial/

I don't know if I put it in that tutorial but my rotor bolt fit was to tall, so to speak. I didn't notice until I was riding and felt a grinding but only for a short while (didn't take much for it to get "clearanced"). Of course the grinding/heat killed the magnetism so my speedo stopped working. So I removed that and reinstalled the factory bolt. Then I stuck the other supplied magnet (without a bolt) to the hub in a disk rotor slot against the hub so that it was held in place by it's magnet attraction to the steel rotor (no attraction to aluminum hub). A little glue between the magnet and hub sealed the deal, but I was sure to make sure none got between the magnet and rotor so I could take the rotor off without any grief. No problems since. Also note that the hose temp sensor can be removed from the supplied adapter and put in place of the stock sensor located near the spark plug. And you can even utilize the stock tachometer wiring, just cut off the OEM plug-in and splice in the supplier connector for the tach. In the tutorial I even mention how to reset the ODO to whatever you want so you can start where you left off.

It's all in the link. I wrote that tutorial to be the full monty.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #3934
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
Put 700 miles on the KLR the last two days on back roads in Ohio and Kentucky. Love it, with 16 tooth sprocket it cruises at 60, just hums right along.
Also the Sargent seat is amazing, most comfortable seat on a bike I have ever tried.

One issue was that I had First Gear electric socks, jacket and gloves on. After 125 miles my battery was dead. Waited 10 minutes then it fired back up. After that I ran all three items on about 1/3 power and the battery was fine.

Another small issue was a small hiccup or surge that happened about half a dozens times in the seven hundred miles. Like the engine would hesitate for just a split second then kick back in with a small surge. Anybody ever dealt with this?
Thanks

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #3935
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Put 700 miles on the KLR the last two days on back roads in Ohio and Kentucky. Love it, with 16 tooth sprocket it cruises at 60, just hums right along.
Also the Sargent seat is amazing, most comfortable seat on a bike I have ever tried.

One issue was that I had First Gear electric socks, jacket and gloves on. After 125 miles my battery was dead. Waited 10 minutes then it fired back up. After that I ran all three items on about 1/3 power and the battery was fine.

Another small issue was a small hiccup or surge that happened about half a dozens times in the seven hundred miles. Like the engine would hesitate for just a split second then kick back in with a small surge. Anybody ever dealt with this?
Thanks
I had similar surge problems with my 99 KLR. It turned out to be the petcock causing my problem. Might want to look into that.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #3936
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

What exactly should I look for with petcock?

Still Riff Raff
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #3937
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Check the integrity of the vacuum line to the carb. A small vacuum leak can reduce fuel flow. It would be noticeable at times of high demand. A small pinhole or tear in the petcock diaphragm can also reduce flow. You can cure it by converting the tap to gravity feed, but the parts to fix it are cheap and simple to install.

But there may be no obvious cause. Vacuum-slide carbs will sometimes just stumble as you are going down the road. May be just a temporary obstruction in the carb vent from road spray, or low pressure there caused by wind conditions.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #3938
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:

Thanks

Tom, how long have you been running the 16 tooth sprocket?

It has been something I have thought about doing, perhaps the next chain/sprocket change I will give it a go. Does it give you that missing 6th gear-feel?

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #3939
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Well, the bike has just 1200 miles on it. Put the 16 on right after purchase. It is great when up to speed, engine doesn't labor much when going 60-65 mph.

Still Riff Raff
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #3940
chopper13
n00b

Oddometer: 8
my 09 klr

low front fender ,windshield risers tall sheild with home made wings,cruize control.gps dash drink holder,sun shield for gps.12volt plug under fairing.highway pegs,hard tail trunk,home built hard side bags,pak rat rear racks,raising links,terry addock custom double bucket seat(very comfortable.,16 tooth sproket,doo hicky ,exhauste mod with .adjustble flap to open or close exhauste.if i want performance,open,if I want quit closed.avon gripsters frount and back.kenda 761 only lasted 7500 miles.,filled handle bars with black sealastic.stopped all fibration.did the carb rejet klr needle,open air box uni filter.with all gear and windshiel gets 46-48mpg.pvc spacers and heaver fork oil.to level bike out from raising links.next is custom built center stand ,not done with it yet but soom.
picture .I'm have trouble butting them on but Ill try again.
I had dl1000 srom before this bike ,miss all the power ,but this bike is a pleaser too ride, and doesnt look bad either.oh yea and it doesnt use oil. run full sythec amsoil 20/50 yr round
chopper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #3941
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
You can cure it by converting the tap to gravity feed, but the parts to fix it are cheap and simple to install.
The Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock is a straight bolt-in replacement for the KLR petcock. But you get more main tank and less reserve. Yamaha part number 5LP-24500-01-00is under $20 at Ron Ayers. (Here's the gas tank fiche.)

I got some brass tubing from a hobby shop (usually used for making model locomotives) and extended my main intake up. While I did fall short it's not as bad as the photo makes it look.

The top tube goes all the way to the Raptor tube inside the middle "sleeve". Use a file or Dremel to create some texture inside the sleeve and the bottom of the new top tube. I used Seal-All adhesive which is gas and alcohol proof. Remember to cap off the vacuum tube on the carburetor.

Next photo shows KLR petcock (top) and modified Raptor petcock (bottom).

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #3942
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
Grinnin:
Timely post. I have the Raptor petcock and will be installing it soon.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #3943
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Tom, how long have you been running the 16 tooth sprocket?

It has been something I have thought about doing, perhaps the next chain/sprocket change I will give it a go. Does it give you that missing 6th gear-feel?
I have been using the 16 tooth for about a year now. Not quite a 6th gear feel, but does make the engine work easier on the highway. I do miss the Husky 610 6th gear!

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #3944
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
I've been using a 16 tooth for about 2 years now, on highway it drops the rpms roughly 500 below stock. Not a 6th gear, but an improvement. Not great in the dirt though :-)
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #3945
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
What judjonzz said! LOL
My petcock was actually spitting gas out the side, which meant that air was also getting sucked in at times.
That's why I was getting surges.
I could have simply cleaned the petcock and replaced the gasket, but I ended buying another petcock for $20.
Make sure after you check the lines and petcock, that you clean the carb after fixing/replacing anything.
Dirt gets sucked into the carb pretty easily.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote