Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #4051
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,085
I just got a pair of Shinko 700's coming in the mail if anyone's interested in seeing how i like them. I ride a LOT of dirt roads, so I figured they'd be perfect since it's also my commuter.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #4052
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,073
Tires...

Why no love for the Kenda brand here....

I have two KLRs one I use for mostly Offroad and the other for Mostly ON... Now on my "Offroad" bike I run the Trackmaster 2 and the on road bike I use the Kenda 270.

I Get really good milage out of the 270 for the most part and the Cost per mile is pretty good. I think I am getting 4K=/- out of the rear... and the front I am not sure but it is going pretty good.

The TM2 Is a really good offroad tire in my opinion... i have worn out many sets of them on my original Offroad bike... They hook up really well in the dirt, Sand, mud and handle pretty well on road too.... I have used the D606 and hate it.. I think its too slippy in the dirt for me..... plus I have ripped side lugs off of them and that has never occured with the TM2s. Now one thing I do notice on the TM2 front is it likes to scolliop but if you turn it around it will even out and nearly double the life.....

Just my .02 worth....

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #4053
<RP><
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Anybody ever try a trials tire on the KLR? One of my experienced dirt riding buddies swear by them.
<RP>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #4054
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
A couple of my buddies run them too. They love them and run enduro races with them. I would like to try them out...m
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #4055
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by < View Post
Anybody ever try a trials tire on the KLR? One of my experienced dirt riding buddies swear by them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
A couple of my buddies run them too. They love them and run enduro races with them. I would like to try them out...m
Don't come in 17". Otherwise, there would be some of us that would try them.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #4056
<RP><
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Don't come in 17". Otherwise, there would be some of us that would try them.
That would explain why I can't find any and it just made tire shopping a whole lot easier.
<RP>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #4057
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Why no love for the Kenda brand here....
I have Kenda 270's on my KLR. Probably the only one that makes a 3.25 for the front which I love on these loose gravel , freshly graded , roads I like to roam about on in SW Louisiana. Like the bigger tire in the back also.

But , now waiting on shifter spring that broke the other day and left me in 1st gear a few miles out of town. Sigh! Glad I was not a 1000 or so miles from home.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #4058
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,762
I had D606's on my 88, when I did the last camp n ride in the begininng of February I put them on my 09 and they worked ok. I have a TM II on my Dr350 rear and a Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front and love the combo. I ran over a nail and destroyed the rear 606 and ordered a TM II for that rim combo and will finish out with the 606 front. I use Kenda 760's on my 09 rims for street duty.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #4059
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I have Kenda 270's on my KLR. Probably the only one that makes a 3.25 for the front which I love on these loose gravel , freshly graded , roads I like to roam about on in SW Louisiana. Like the bigger tire in the back also.

But , now waiting on shifter spring that broke the other day and left me in 1st gear a few miles out of town. Sigh! Glad I was not a 1000 or so miles from home.
I broke my sifter off once.... not just the shifter but the shift rod... that was fun.. Damn that snow and ice......
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #4060
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Kenda 270's on my on road KLR...

and track master II's on my off road KLR, same as you.

"I have two KLRs one I use for mostly Offroad and the other for Mostly ON... Now on my "Offroad" bike I run the Trackmaster 2 and the on road bike I use the Kenda 270."

...but I think I'm going to put the 270's on the off road bike also since it's going to see some more pavement use this year.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #4061
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
7000 MILES!? I have been riding a l--o--n--g time and NEVER have I EVER gotten 7 K out of any M/C tire! Street, dirt, DS, ANY M/C tire! I wish I could! AND sometimes I have even wore em down to where I can about see through them. I guess I am just hard on tires.

I never have tried the MT21's and need to as I know a couple buds got pretty good mileage out of them, and on bigger bikes as well. Come to think of it I used to run them on ALL my street bikes years back and liked them alot! Need to put that tire on my must try list.

I have gotten almost 6K on a Gripster in the rear on the KLR. That was about the logest tire life I ever saw.

I did put a set of 606's on my WR for the dirt and as somebody already mentioned I HATED them when it got wet, you found some mud, or crossed a stream. Man they were slippery as can be for that dirt scoot, but on the front of the KLR they really do work a lot better....probably all that extra weight. Well, that and I do not push the KLR near as hard off road as I do a real dirt bike.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #4062
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Mentioned before i am a fan of the 705's, mostly for street and gravel. Have the MT21's on the DRZ and they are fantastic.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #4063
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Have you tried the front MT21? I like them much better that 606 fronts in all terrain.
Agreed. I like the performance of the MT21 up front. It has a firm sidewall and I was able to ride for miles on a front flat without any problems.
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #4064
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,396
Tires...tires....tires.......

I am liking the 700 rear paired with a TKC front for now. I am thinking I will probably run T63 fronts paired to 700 rears for most of my riding. The rear traction of the 700 seems adequate for pavement and gravel. The front knobby tends to give a little more confidence on the gravel but yet works well on paved surfaces.

Then if I really plan to ride a lot of off pavement I may throw a T63 rear on for that trip.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #4065
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Have you tried the front MT21? I like them much better that 606 fronts in all terrain.
The MT21s work great, but don't last long, about 1500-1800 miles for me compared to 3000-4500 for the D606.