Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #4066
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
The MT21s work great, but don't last long, about 1500-1800 miles for me compared to 3000-4500 for the D606.
Yup true... I'm a 606 fan myself, and if I'm looking for a 6-7,000mi front knobby when doing alotta slab (less aggressive), then the T-63 is my baby. Gotta throw the venerable 244 in here too if your mixing it up and will spend most of your time on pavement and Forest Servive roads. I just find myself pushing it in sketchy situations enough that I mostly run the 606... prob 90% of the time.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #4067
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
The good thing and bad thing about the KLR is it has the longest list of possible modifications of any bike. So far I have done the Happy Trails Rallye Windshield and Dash with MRA attachment,, Sargent Seat (excellent investment), Eagle Mike Doo w/ torsion spring, larger footpegs, Dirt Racks luggage racks, Rox Risers 2" bar risers, DR 650 mirrors with extenders, Acerbis supermoto front fender, subframe bolt upgrade and just now ordered the Watt Man thermo -bob.
What am I missing?

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #4068
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
I started my KLR650 life with the Shinko/Golden Boy 705's, I didnt like how they behaved in gravel. Then, up front, I went to a Metzler Karoo and was happier even though they make a sound like a police siren. Maybe I lost 1000 miles of wear in the change. Last week I put on a T63 and like it better than the Karoo.
Its mostly a backroad commuter with 3 miles of dirt, but onces or three times a year I'll go on a dualsport adventure for 1000 miles or so.
My dislike of the 705's may have stemmed from my inexperience in the dirt.
Oops i meant 244's not 705's. I still run the 244's in the rear and am pretty happy with them.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #4069
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
The good thing and bad thing about the KLR is it has the longest list of possible modifications of any bike. So far I have done the Happy Trails Rallye Windshield and Dash with MRA attachment,, Sargent Seat (excellent investment), Eagle Mike Doo w/ torsion spring, larger footpegs, Dirt Racks luggage racks, Rox Risers 2" bar risers, DR 650 mirrors with extenders, Acerbis supermoto front fender, subframe bolt upgrade and just now ordered the Watt Man thermo -bob.
What am I missing?
The money you spent?

Maybe you want some protection for the radiator and tank, Happy Trails or SW Motech make crash bars.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #4070
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
What am I missing?
You have only scratched the surface of available mods. I'd say you are about 1/3 there.. Or you could just ride it as is and enjoy.
For me it's half the fun adding stuff to the bike. So many farkle's so little time.....

On the flip side of that I put plenty of miles on this KLR with no fancy doohickey or luggage or thermobob... Only things I added were a skid plate and a taller windshield. Ended up removing the windshield though because I hated it.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #4071
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
What am I missing?
Milk crate?
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #4072
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Lots more.... My list is at 38 mods and almost nothing that is on yours. The possibilities are truly endless ..
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #4073
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Lots more.... My list is at 38 mods and almost nothing that is on yours. The possibilities are truly endless ..
38 mods, hmmm, now I am going to have to count mine. Almost afraid to though.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #4074
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,137
I'm up to a whopping 4 mods

So many things to do still.. So little funding..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #4075
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,121
The List ..

.. the list is long .. fun .. and sometimes more expensive than others .. but through trial and error I am enjoying my KLR more every year ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #4076
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
1 1/2 yrs of mods

I thought I had posted my list but I couldn't find it... I was bored one day and pulled out all my receipts just for fun... Kinda startled me when I saw the length of the list and total.. YIKES!
688 kit
ported head
hot cams
1mm over SS valves
CV40pumper/Lectron 44mm PowerJet
Big Gun exhaust
SS oversize head pipe
Uni dual stage sock
EM torsion doohickey
14T CS
LoPro oil drain plug
SS brake lines
Thermo-Bob
Ricor IAS rear shock
Ricor Intiminators
Progressive Springs
SS oil filter
Motion Pro Vortex throttle assembly
Subframe drill through bolt upgrade
SW Motech Skid Plate
IMS long shifter
SW Motech Convertible pegs
AntiGravity LIFe battery
IMS tank
KLX fairing
Vapor Stealth computer
Seat Concepts saddle
ProTaper bars
KFX rear Fender
LED brake/tail light
Acerbis Rally Pro guards
Acerbis front fender
LED turn signals
Cortech tail bag
Mosse racing shock sock

I took some things out of the list cuz they were parts incorporated in the carbs, battery mounts, etc that don't really count... I think another radiator is next, these 110 degree days in traffic in NorCal gets that temp soaring...
Like I said it was all in fun....
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #4077
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. the list is long .. fun .. and sometimes more expensive than others .. but through trial and error I am enjoying my KLR more every year ..
+1, especially the "long" part.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #4078
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 282
Dont forget heated grips, do forget those heated filaments that go under the grips, the bars will suck all the heat away, get the kind where the filament is molded into the grip.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #4079
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
I went for the heated jacket, gloves and socks. Certainly lengthens the riding season.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #4080
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,454
Quote:
I went for the heated jacket, gloves and socks. Certainly lengthens the riding season.
heated gloves are on my short list for new gear...grips are ok in cool weather but not cold
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote