Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #4201
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Indeed ! I happen to have a spare or two lying around as well if your interested. Just let me know.
Hmmmmm! How do I know if it'll work with my GPS? And how would we go about doing this

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #4202
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
A ram mount is a ram mount as far as I know. Mine fits my 2 different GPS units and my sheet scroll. Just PM Jim.....
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #4203
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,050
I use the RAM system for my ETREX Legend HxC. Use and existing mounting boss for the KLR with matching RAM Ball/stud and a handlebar clamp with Ball for the BMW LT. Easy to swap back and forth.

Yes, the Legend screen is small, but very rugged and usable. The mounting system is very sturdy.

Ram Bal mount on the KLR spare rear view mirror mount:

Etrex Ram mount (on BMW LT)

RAM handlebar clamp ( BMW LT/Etrex mount)

Etrex/RAM on KLR Handlebar
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #4204
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Hmmmmm! How do I know if it'll work with my GPS? And how would we go about doing this
Yes it's just a 1" ram ball on a handlebar clamp. Just PM me a mailing addy or the local post office. Note: I can send it general delivery in your name to your towns USPost office so you don't have to share your exact address. You can then pick it up there... No charge, I may even have an extra 3" arm for it. You would then just need the plastic ram holder/with ball that fits your specific GPS, that would in turn mount on the Ram arm.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #4205
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Time for little update:

I added the HDB hand guards and a new bar. I crashed the sporty and had this set up on it and didn't even suffer a bent bar, that was at 75-80 mph. Very strong set up indeed.

I decided to do a little fairing trim so I can run full lock if needed. I mean its not like this thing can get any worse looking. She has suffered a lot at my hands so whats a little tuck and trim

a little fab work and i can fill in these holes

I love how these mount to the handle bar clamps it adds a lot of strength

a very solid product that is well thought out.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #4206
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Time for little update:

I added the HDB hand guards and a new bar. I crashed the sporty and had this set up on it and didn't even suffer a bent bar, that was at 75-80 mph. Very strong set up indeed.

I still need to ride with you someday, J-dubbs.

Are you coming to SLAP?
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #4207
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I still need to ride with you someday, J-dubbs.

Are you coming to SLAP?
I'll be in the Texas Hill country that weekend. We do need to do a ride some time. I'll be in maine in june and chama, NM and around Colorado in july august time frame
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #4208
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oh... one "mod" that I just remembered and thought I would share.

If you're like me and ride your KLR nearly exclusively offroad and find your bike horizontal on occasion, then this might be a mod for you.

Seems odd, but here goes. I trimmed the blades on my cooling fan by about 1/4". Why? Well, numerous times, I have dropped the bike on the left side and bent the cooling fan cage. I think I'm on my third fan now. I have an IMS tank and it flexes when traumatized.

First time it happened was during my first enduro. Fan cage bent a bit and the fan locked up because the fan could no longer turn. Melted the fan hub and the bike overheated. Had to quit the race.

The trimmed fan blades still move a lot of air. There is likely a better solution, such as crash bars or a stronger fan cage(?). I saw a problem and made an adjustment. Haven't had an issue since. Take that as you will.
-DustyRags
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #4209
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
I'll be in the Texas Hill country that weekend. We do need to do a ride some time. I'll be in maine in june and chama, NM and around Colorado in july august time frame
Cool. My Tulsa crew and I might try to do a ride over to AR sometime and I'll let you know.

I'll be doing the Train Robbers Enduro the weekend of June 9th.

(No more KLR enduros though. The beast is retired with her 4th place season trophy. I'll be on a KDX220R from now on...)
-DustyRags
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #4210
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 407
Mel, the RAM ball handlebar mount has a ball on a U clamp that clamps to the handlebars. In the picture below, my Nuvi is inside a RAM Aquabox with another RAM ball bolted on the back of the box, with a RAM arm connected to the RAM handlebar mount. It's hidden abit by the wires. The RAM Arm bridges between the two and has spoon type holders on each end with a spring clamp to adjust and grab each ball. It's difficult to explain, but straight ahead when you see it. It works well enough that I have a handlebar mount on my dirtbike and on my atv, and move the Aquabox with the Nuvi between them all. The other way to go is to get a specific holder for your Nuvi that has a RAM ball on the back, along with the arm and the handlebar mount, but then you have to protect the Nuvi from the elements. Hope that helps...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20987220

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #4211
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,050
KLR Mikuni VM38

Got a few miles on the KLR with the Mikuni now. Won't go back. No more top end power, but the throttle response is great. And the ease of access to change the needle setting or main/pilot jets totally blows away the CVK. Fred started listing his plug-n-play Mikuni/KLR kit at Arrowhead Motorsports today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Haha Fred and I have been talking alot about this and I am waiting on one of his Mikuni kits as we speak. As well as picking up and installing an O2 Sensor from him.
Glad to hear of your success! I tried to log on over on his site to share my KLR600 transmission swap info but got hung up... Again VERY niiice job....
JJ
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #4212
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
Mel, the RAM ball handlebar mount has a ball on a U clamp that clamps to the handlebars. In the picture below, my Nuvi is inside a RAM Aquabox with another RAM ball bolted on the back of the box, with a RAM arm connected to the RAM handlebar mount. It's hidden abit by the wires. The RAM Arm bridges between the two and has spoon type holders on each end with a spring clamp to adjust and grab each ball. It's difficult to explain, but straight ahead when you see it. It works well enough that I have a handlebar mount on my dirtbike and on my atv, and move the Aquabox with the Nuvi between them all. The other way to go is to get a specific holder for your Nuvi that has a RAM ball on the back, along with the arm and the handlebar mount, but then you have to protect the Nuvi from the elements. Hope that helps...!
It does, thanks. I have zero experience in this field.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #4213
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Got a few miles on the KLR with the Mikuni now. Won't go back. No more top end power, but the throttle response is great. And the ease of access to change the needle setting or main/pilot jets totally blows away the CVK. Fred started listing his plug-n-play Mikuni/KLR kit at Arrowhead Motorsports today.
Yea buddy... I'm gonna have him send me one and either put it on after Labrador... or... before?!?!?!? Though would rather use it around here fopr a few hundred miles first.
Thanx for the update
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #4214
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
changing out my handlebars turned into a very involved/expensive experience for me.

i ended up getting heated grips and decided to re-do all my wiring while i was at it...

no before pic but it was pretty rag-tag; lots of electrical tape and wire nuts

everything is now heat-shrink-ed and tie-wrapped on the USA made waterproof toggle switches. one for aux power (powerlet receptacle and usp charge port) and the other for the 10w leds.

new terminal block to clean it up.

wire bundle for heated grip rocker switch ran.

rocker switch shown on bottom left. the hole i plugged above it was for a running LED but i melted it while soldering my lead wires to it... combination of large wire, small led and high temp iron... so for now i'll just remember to turn it off.

i replaced my old 12v cig plug with a powerlet and had to plug the 3/4" hole with a stainless KO seal, then drill it out to the right (metric) size for the powerlet.

wired up. the butt splices will be for the USB plug that hasn't gotten in from fleabay yet.

cable management on a KLR kinda seems like an oxymoron.

on to the actual handlebars... being a wireman by trade, i use a lot of expansion anchors. the ones that came with the barkbusters looked out of a playschool set. i knew they wouldn't hold up to how often i lay her down so i tapped out bars and installed M8 inserts with loctite. (i couldn't find my red)

barkbusters installed. i didn't cut the ATV high bars shorter and had just barely enough room to put the clamp below the cross bar brace. i also put on a protaper clutch assembly. i bought a moose racing mirror mount that was supposed to clamp onto the assembly but it didn't fit the protaper model. I'll probably end up buying a u-bolt and mount it in true KLR fasion.

i also had to trim a little bit of the plastic guard to fit in front of the reservoir

and finally i installed the soft bags from HT. the mounting "pucks" they supply are crap. they don't hold worth a crap on the round SL racks. i ended up using 1/2" EMT straps and was able to use the pre-cut holes except for just one where i reluctantly used a puck. (they don't have a big enough lip to fit over the bars).
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #4215
2whlrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Progressive Fork spring help

I just got progressive fork springs for my 2010 KLR and can't find information on how long the spacers have to be. Do they have to be cut down from stock length and if so does someone know the length? The instructions that came with the springs are not clear.
Also, I am changing the fork oil so do I use the factory amount of oil?
Thanks much for any help.