Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #4306
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Huge fan... made one last summer.
I think I might have to just buy the one they make for the '08...
I don't have the tools or resources necessary to make one out of metal by myself

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #4307
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,462
Parabellum on 1st-gen

I have the new-version Parabellum windshield attached to my 1st-gen but I won't call it installed yet.

The throttle cables hit it on left lock and the handguard hit it on right lock. I did rotate my handlebars forward when I got the bike, so I needed to rotate them back. I rotated them back 1" measured at the cross-bar or approximately 1.5" at the grips. I have also shortened the handguard mounts as much as possible (i.e. the clamps at the inside ends of the Moose aluminum guards). I would like to shorten those even more but they're cut to their limit and I'll have to look for another solution. For today I have a bodge-like bracket on the left handguard.

Rotating the bars back also pushes the tank bag back an inch. The bag was out of the way for standing on minor uphills and got in the way only for steepish uphills. Now the bag will make standing more awkward.

I have tried a few windshields on different bikes and they have always caused loud buffeting. Now that I mostly expect a quiet windshield it causes lots of changes that I'm pretty skeptical about. I ordered this because of the prospect of more 4am to 1am rides to Ohio coming up. It ought to make that kind of ride easier at the expense of any single-track.

Sleet and snow yesterday but should be cloudy w/showers today. I'll go out and test this.

EDIT: If it tests out OK then I'll space the top mounts out a bit to see if I can rotate the windshield forward and undo some of the other changes. For the first tests I need to see if the Parabellum works OK as they designed it.

Grinnin screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 07:01 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #4308
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
What do all of you think about a fender brace?
Not a fork brace, I have one of those. A fender brace.
I've got an '02 but I have the '08+ fender (looks awsome)
I'm still running stock plastics and find much of my hwy miles are at 80+ mph so I'm a huge fan of a fender brace. I have the JNS for 08 on my GenI fender...not a perfect fit but works great. I just added a couple washers between it and the fender.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #4309
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I have the new-version Parabellum windshield attached to my 1st-gen but I won't call it installed yet.

The throttle cables hit it on left lock and the handguard hit it on right lock. I did rotate my handlebars forward when I got the bike, so I needed to rotate them back. I rotated them back 1" measured at the cross-bar or approximately 1.5" at the grips. I have also shortened the handguard mounts as much as possible (i.e. the clamps at the inside ends of the Moose aluminum guards). I would like to shorten those even more but they're cut to their limit and I'll have to look for another solution. For today I have a bodge-like bracket on the left handguard.

Rotating the bars back also pushes the tank bag back an inch. The bag was out of the way for standing on minor uphills and got in the way only for steepish uphills. Now the bag will make standing more awkward.

I have tried a few windshields on different bikes and they have always caused loud buffeting. Now that I mostly expect a quiet windshield it causes lots of changes that I'm pretty skeptical about. I ordered this because of the prospect of more 4am to 1am rides to Ohio coming up. It ought to make that kind of ride easier at the expense of any single-track.

Sleet and snow yesterday but should be cloudy w/showers today. I'll go out and test this.

EDIT: If it tests out OK then I'll space the top mounts out a bit to see if I can rotate the windshield forward and undo some of the other changes. For the first tests I need to see if the Parabellum works OK as they designed it.
try a one inch riser .. it might make everything clear
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #4310
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
try a one inch riser .. it might make everything clear
A one-inch handlebar riser would make all the interference worse. A one-inch spacer on the windshield would make an already shaky mount even shakier.

But it won't be an issue. Standing up provided the only quiet of the entire ride.

I only rode about 50 or 60 miles. For 10 percent of the ride the windshield was great. For another 10 percent it was OK. For most of the time I was sitting way forward on the seat -- with the corners of the tank in my crotch -- to reduce the thrumming. For another 10 or more percent of the time I was leaning off-center to keep the thrumming down in crosswinds. For about 10 percent the thrumming wouldn't go away no matter where I put my head.

The best position was with my chin right over the gas cap; a position that I wouldn't be able to maintain for any length of time. Windshield height was OK, but I had to stay very close to it. Even when a position was OK with my faceshield closed I couldn't open it a little or a lot or even use the Shoei vent lever or the faceshield would rattle and shake.

The windshield stayed steady about half the time. Usually it was shaking a little. In a few situations it was shaking quite a lot -- cross/headwinds or rough pavement. I would not want to use this anywhere near a truck. Parabellum uses the 2 side bolts on the front subframe and the three OEM windshield mount holes. It's not nearly enough.

The helmet is a Shoei Qwest. Parabellum says the medium height is usually good for riders 5'7" to 5'10". I am 5'8.5" or right in the middle of their range.

To reduce the thrumming it needs to be closer to my helmet, not taller.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #4311
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
A one-inch handlebar riser would make all the interference worse. A one-inch spacer on the windshield would make an already shaky mount even shakier.

But it won't be an issue. Standing up provided the only quiet of the entire ride.

I only rode about 50 or 60 miles. For 10 percent of the ride the windshield was great. For another 10 percent it was OK. For most of the time I was sitting way forward on the seat -- with the corners of the tank in my crotch -- to reduce the thrumming. For another 10 or more percent of the time I was leaning off-center to keep the thrumming down in crosswinds. For about 10 percent the thrumming wouldn't go away no matter where I put my head.

The best position was with my chin right over the gas cap; a position that I wouldn't be able to maintain for any length of time. Windshield height was OK, but I had to stay very close to it. Even when a position was OK with my faceshield closed I couldn't open it a little or a lot or even use the Shoei vent lever or the faceshield would rattle and shake.

The windshield stayed steady about half the time. Usually it was shaking a little. In a few situations it was shaking quite a lot -- cross/headwinds or rough pavement. I would not want to use this anywhere near a truck. Parabellum uses the 2 side bolts on the front subframe and the three OEM windshield mount holes. It's not nearly enough.

The helmet is a Shoei Qwest. Parabellum says the medium height is usually good for riders 5'7" to 5'10". I am 5'8.5" or right in the middle of their range.

To reduce the thrumming it needs to be closer to my helmet, not taller.
I think the Klr is best with as little shield as possible so you can experience that clean air like when you stand as you have mentioned.
When I rode a Gen 1, I removed the stock windshield and rode with just the fairing.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #4312
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I think the Klr is best with as little shield as possible so you can experience that clean air like when you stand as you have mentioned.
When I rode a Gen 1, I removed the stock windshield and rode with just the fairing.
+1. I fought with the stock fairing for a while, all it did was bounce my head around like a ping pong ball. One day in the rain I realized it gives no protection what so ever.... Sold it, replaced with KLX fairing and never looked back..... Clean air is much better than sitting in turbulence!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #4313
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

I have played the windshield game on many bikes and the PITA thing is that every bike, windshield and helmet style acts different.
And you have to deal with not only buffeting, but also wind noise and in some cases the booming noise in helmet(which usually occurs when you eliminate the wind noise and buffeting), and it is very hard to nail all three.
I nailed all three on one bike one time and the set up was a 1200 Bmw Gsa with the stock shield with a touratech clip on spoiler on top the shield, and a motocross helmet.
It was the perfect combination and I could wear ear plugs or if I wanted I could leave them out it was so good.But when it rained I got hammered in the face, and the windshield sucked in the rain.
So back to a full face helmet and earplugs.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #4314
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
I hear ya. I took off the stock windshield and rode it for 21,000 miles.

But I just thought . . . Parabellum . . . this one ought to work.

I can see how their previous arrangement, a handlebar windshield behind the stocker, would be closer to the helmet and might work better. It's not a contraption that I'd attach to a bike, though. It would prevent access to any dashboard or GPS.

I might make a larger version of the little wing on the top of my headlight shroud. It's purpose is to keep the turbulence low.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #4315
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Agree though I'm tall enough that the stock windshield is low enough to give me nice clean air. Then again I raised/widen the seat height over an inch in height due to 36" inseam of mine. I can still flat foot the KLR...
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #4316
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 766
took out the kickstand safety switch today. didn't want that thing on there at all, but i wanted the cover to stay. had to pick up some spacers to take up the gap left by the missing switch.

Next is the carb vent
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #4317
weeds
KLR650

Oddometer: 3
progressive front springs

Cost me under $100 bucks and took about 5minutes to do. But my gosh did they make a difference when goin hard through the bush. I have other mods also but should have done this cheaper one first.

Other mods I recommend are the carb kit and airbox mod. Also a good exhaust system, might not give much extra power but it sounds awesome.
weeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #4318
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
Cost me under $100 bucks and took about 5minutes to do. But my gosh did they make a difference when goin hard through the bush. I have other mods also but should have done this cheaper one first.

Other mods I recommend are the carb kit and airbox mod. Also a good exhaust system, might not give much extra power but it sounds awesome.
What airbox mod?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #4319
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
What airbox mod?
I'm sure he is talking about removing the rubber snorkel out of the top of the airbox and also cutting a L shaped hole on top the airbox or cutting 1" holes on top and adding Uni filter pods in the holes.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #4320
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Ims pro series pegs with rubber inserts from 11xx series GS

I had some old factory Bmw Gs rubber footpeg inserts so I trimmed them and fit them in my Ims pegs.