Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #4381
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Just avoid the "Energy Conserving" as listed in the API circle. Friction modifiers are not recommended for wet clutches.
Maybe, Wansfel; I've certainly seen the caution written elsewhere, but . . . to the best of my knowledge and belief, Kawasaki has no prohibition on "energy conserving," or even on friction modifiers, in any published guidance vis-a-vis KLR650s.

If someone has a reference or citation, please share!

Only API service codes and temperature-dependent viscosities are recommended for KLR650s by Kawasaki AFAIK.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #4382
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
How do I know if I have a tubeless or tubed tire? Would it say on the tire?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #4383
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Maybe, Wansfel; I've certainly seen the caution written elsewhere, but . . . to the best of my knowledge and belief, Kawasaki has no prohibition on "energy conserving," or even on friction modifiers, in any published guidance vis-a-vis KLR650s.

If someone has a reference or citation, please share!

Only API service codes and temperature-dependent viscosities are recommended for KLR650s by Kawasaki AFAIK.
On the Internet, you pays your money and you takes your chances! Perhaps this one for the Myth Busters.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #4384
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
I do remember not long ago seeing an ad for their name brand oil and it was cheaper than I get it at a well known place that sells oil cheap.Cheap being the reoccurring thought,KLR ya know!
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #4385
Adiventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question about the euro switch assembly. I just picked one up from klr650.com, and it was the 2 position model, does anyone know where I can get ahold of the 3 position one? Or should the one I got have been 3 position.

Unrelated note, what's recommended for replacing the clutch? Mine seems like it's about to go. The EBC kit is reasonably priced, but it seemed to have plenty of bad reviews on Motorcycle Superstore.
Adiventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #4386
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
How do I know if I have a tubeless or tubed tire? Would it say on the tire?
Spokes usually means tubes unless somebody sealed the rims. Look at the valve stem. If it has a locking nut you have a tube in it which is 99% of the time...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #4387
Wolfy01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Luggage not a oil thread

So lets stop the oil thread before it gets out of hand. Lets talk Luggage, preference hard or soft paniers. And brands. And does anyone one have any slightly used ones for sale.

Nick
Wolfy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #4388
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy01 View Post
So lets stop the oil thread before it gets out of hand. Lets talk Luggage, preference hard or soft paniers. And brands. And does anyone one have any slightly used ones for sale.

Nick
Pelican cases with Packrat rack.

Been hit by Honda and cases saved my leg and rack hasn't bent.

Got hit by cab (NYC) and again cases held up fine and provided protection for my legs.

I have the cases setup so they will pop out if my leg gets caught underneath them.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #4389
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,824
I've been using a Dirt Bagz Ranger setup on the Pig. They have been great, but thinking of changing to something different, maybe more waterproof (the Dirt Bagz are "water resistant" and are ok for a brief shower or stream crossing, but not for constant rain).

http://www.dbzproducts.com/specs.htm

I've picked up a set or Ortliebs and may try those.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #4390
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:

Nick
I think the most important feature in luggage (and often the most overlooked or least mentioned) is the ability to quickly remove them, like with a single twist of a key or half turn of a nut. I have givi cases on my KLR and am almost done with a trip to Panama (read: Guatemala, didn´t make it all the way south ) and the best thing about the givis was being able to take them off the bike to bring them into a hostel without having to unpack. Also I could instantly go riding around a city and split lanes or take a side trip without the weight/bulk. I was riding with a guy for a while who had cases that need unscrewing (from the inside) and he was always hesitant to remove them because it was such a hassle. Ended up riding with them and getting stuck in traffic a bunch and also took quite a while to pack and unpack.

But, the givis are way too wide I think so if I can scratch up the cash I´ll get the caribou pelican storm cases that mount to givi racks. Same quick release, much more narrow. I think I will always stick with hard panniers. The security of just leaving them on the bike while going to eat or wandering a market is priceless.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #4391
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
If I had had hard panniers last year, I would also have had a broken leg . . . my Ortleibs will not be replaced, when the time comes, with anything harder than they are.

They also allow me to carry more wieght, if necessary (weighing less), and they are almost instantly removeable, when necessary.

Hard bags on teh street? You bet (my tTiger 1050 has Givis, and I love em), but any off roading -- soft bags for me.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #4392
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 766
i run a givi trunk with soft sadlebags. not waterproof though.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #4393
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Quote:

Nick
Tank bags: I will choose none other than Wolfman. the Expedition Lite or the Rainier bag.
Panniers: I had some custom made by a welder but I like the Happy Trails ones I had before. Hard luggage may be heavier but when I dumped my bike going 140 km/h on the highway they sure saved my legs from being crushed. They serve as a rear crash bar almost. I've always had hard luggage and that's the way it's gonna stay

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #4394
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
I think the most important feature in luggage (and often the most overlooked or least mentioned) is the ability to quickly remove them, like with a single twist of a key or half turn of a nut.

Yep, I use a quick release lever on my Pelicans. No tools required, open lever, spin out, case lifts right off. Takes about 10 seconds.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #4395
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
I like soft bags for many of the above reasons,and Wolfman is now making a bag called Monarch Pass,reasonable price,lotsa capacity,not waterproof but plastic bags resolve that problem.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote