Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #4396
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,126
I ran a Giant Loop coyote on my Yamaha XT250, and I kept it after selling that bike. It is a GREAT bag for use when renting bikes overseas. Easy on, easy off, water resistance, and travels easily. I doesn't work great on the KLR though. I used it for 6 days last year and while it did work, it doesn't fit the KLR quite right. I also have a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag that I absolutely love.

I was seriously debating between the Giant Loop Great Basin, Dirt Bagz, and Wolfman Expeditions. The Giant Loop has massive potential and appeal (I know their product already), but it makes it difficult to use with rear bag/box of any sort. I ended up ordering a Wolfman Rolie bag for my rear rack, and I liked it so much that I ordered the expedition saddle bags when I scored a cheap set of softbag racks on ebay.

I don't have many miles on them yet, but I like them. They hold more than the Coyote does, are easier to get in and out of, and go on and off the bike relatively quickly. They are small enough to keep the load light (a positive to me, I travel lightly... the wife and I did the UK for 2 weeks out of a 55 and 20 liter... same in Italy). The are reportedly water proof, but I had 2 little holes in one of my bags, right were a strap patch was welded to the bag body. No biggie, I patched them with tire patches, and I already use lightweight dry bags for anything that needs to stay dry.

I will be testing them out for a few day "Bring your own everything" moto event in 2 weeks. I anticipate no problems at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #4397
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I like soft bags for many of the above reasons,and Wolfman is now making a bag called Monarch Pass,reasonable price,lotsa capacity,not waterproof but plastic bags resolve that problem.
Those came out the week I ordered my expedition bags from them. I almost wish I had saved some money and got those, but with the ADV discount from Motostrano, I decided to get the bags I wanted a bit more. They look like a fantastic bag though!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #4398
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbeck View Post
Same here.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
I like the rotella and I use it with a Lucas oil supplement- no worries no burning and the engine is smooth.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #4399
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
KLR 650 Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Yep, I use a quick release lever on my Pelicans. No tools required, open lever, spin out, case lifts right off. Takes about 10 seconds.

That's really close to what I'm thinking... But, and I'm not knocking your setup or anything like that, I would definitely go with something you don't have to unpack to remove. Been traveling for the last five months and mostly staying in hostels with some camping. Not much room to unpack the bags in hostels and wouldn't want to unpack in dirt while camping (although you probably have liners or something).

After a day of riding I'm just ready to pull the boxes (packed), throw them under my dorm bed and go drink cold beers and chat with girls... (or whoever)

I've given this A LOT of thought over the last few months and "quick release" is the number one priority for a bag for me, over hard or soft, brand, waterproof, even price... I'm only emphasizing this because when I was first looking at bags and reading recommendations, this never even entered the equation.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #4400
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
I would definitely go with something you don't have to unpack to remove.

Ah, good point. My wife made some internal soft bags that I just lift out so that makes it easier. The funny part is once I had the cases on I never took them off!

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #4401
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
I have hard AL boxes - I think they were called "Afrika ..." something from Whitehorse back in 08.

Powder coated them, have a single top key lock which levers an internal double lever system and lined them with stick-on floor carpet tile. Water proof, dust proof, robust, large capacity, easy to put on and take off and also able to top load on the lid. They do all that I expect of them and more.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #4402
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
That's really close to what I'm thinking... But, and I'm not knocking your setup or anything like that, I would definitely go with something you don't have to unpack to remove. Been traveling for the last five months and mostly staying in hostels with some camping. Not much room to unpack the bags in hostels and wouldn't want to unpack in dirt while camping (although you probably have liners or something).

After a day of riding I'm just ready to pull the boxes (packed), throw them under my dorm bed and go drink cold beers and chat with girls... (or whoever)

I've given this A LOT of thought over the last few months and "quick release" is the number one priority for a bag for me, over hard or soft, brand, waterproof, even price... I'm only emphasizing this because when I was first looking at bags and reading recommendations, this never even entered the equation.
I don't have to unpack my cases because I made some bags with handles that fit inside the cases. I commute to work (NYC) year round and carry my work clothes (ironed shirt and khakis) in the bag, when I get to work I just remove the bag and store my riding gear in the cases.

It's much easier to carry stuff in the bags then to have them bouncing around in the cases.

Someone mentioned not using hard cases off-road and I agree 100%. I only use a small Pelican on top of my rear rack when offroad and remove the sidecases.

As far as splitting with cases, my cases do not stick out more than my handlebars so splitting is possible on my bike (almost necessary in NYC).
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #4403
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Ah, good point. My wife made some internal soft bags that I just lift out so that makes it easier. The funny part is once I had the cases on I never took them off!

Tote bags inside the hard cases. Beach bags are good, I have some. They're usually rubberized inside to keep the wet swimsuits and towels from soaking through, and that rubberizing also works backwards (keeps what's inside dry). The ones I found at a local Target-like store (Meijer for other Michiganders/midwestern types) also had some zippered pockets in/on them and the main bag was also a zipper closure. $14 each, sorta like this:

Leave the wet/muddy hardbag mounted and locked to the bike. Open it up, grab the (clean,dry) inner tote bag, go into your hotel or tent with it. Done.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #4404
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Tote bags inside the hard cases. Beach bags are good, I have some. They're usually rubberized inside to keep the wet swimsuits and towels from soaking through, and that rubberizing also works backwards (keeps what's inside dry). The ones I found at a local Target-like store (Meijer for other Michiganders/midwestern types) also had some zippered pockets in/on them and the main bag was also a zipper closure. $14 each, sorta like this:

Leave the wet/muddy hardbag mounted and locked to the bike. Open it up, grab the (clean,dry) inner tote bag, go into your hotel or tent with it. Done.
Do they come in Hi-Viz??? I don't want it clashing with my riding gear

Actually, I have a small one of those bags I use to store my chain and lock. They are pretty durable.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #4405
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant by "liners" That solves that problem. I find myself taking off the cases every day! I guess that's because I don't have the liners and don't want to unpack... it's a vicious circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
...As far as splitting with cases, my cases do not stick out more than my handlebars so splitting is possible on my bike (almost necessary in NYC).
Yeah. The givis are too wide Definitely extend past the handlebars...

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #4406
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 287
Im a big fan of sesame oil. I like the way it smells and tastes. I have carried some in my luggage. Seahorse bags on twisted throttle brackets. They work great but the locks are expensive when you break one.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #4407
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,357
Hepcko Beckers with a Triumph Tiger tail bag.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #4408
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,583
About fleshpiston's internal quick release photo:
Quote:
That's really close to what I'm thinking... But, and I'm not knocking your setup or anything like that, I would definitely go with something you don't have to unpack to remove.
I said the same thing. I made a quick release that works from the outside. It works great for a short time after I install it.

However it has sliding parts and a spring lock and various places for grit to jam. My "quick release" takes 10 to 15 minutes of pushing and tugging on road-dirty parts behind the rack.

Then inside of each of my Pelican Storm cases there are 6 fasteners. With a system similar to fleshpistons i can see that 3 would do. (OK, I'd probably go for 4.)

I have liners, but usually just pack camp gear in right-sized stuff sacks. They wedge in securely and don't bag or wrinkle like the liners do. A fabric cylinder is easy; a fabric rectangle wants to bulge.

I can live with the mounts I made, but fleshpiston's idea looks better than my own. Having the contents in stuff sacks or liners could make getting to the release easier.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #4409
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Hepcko Beckers with a Triumph Tiger tail bag.
How do you like those mirrors?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #4410
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
I like the rotella and I use it with a Lucas oil supplement- no worries no burning and the engine is smooth.
Unless there has been a motor run on too little oil, I have yet to hear of or come across any oil related motor failures.

Use whatever oil makes you happy or whichever oil marketing blurb, internet expert says and you choose to believe. Change 'it' at regular intervals as Kawa suggests. Be happy.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote