Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #4426
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
Leave the vest plugged in and turned on all the time, use it to keep your lunch warm if your not wearing it.
Was think along those lines....time to add a pair or more of highly inefficient driving lights and switch them on when the volts are too high on the new volt meter.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #4427
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
I LOVE this place . . . . thanks fellers!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #4428
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,691
As said before a nice Mosfet R/R will even things out very nice.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #4429
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,183
I am in the market for a skid plate and other things and came across this one for a good price and this, but as usual poking around for other things I came across this. The second item uses a skid plate and engine guard that seem to be one level down than the first items, which makes a little nervous, as are they the same caliber parts?
My long winded question is has anyone used either of these items from HT?
Thanks,
Asa
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #4430
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
I am in the market for a skid plate and other things and came across this one for a good price and this, but as usual poking around for other things I came across this. The second item uses a skid plate and engine guard that seem to be one level down than the first items, which makes a little nervous, as are they the same caliber parts?
Thanks,
Asa
I got the HT plate,and guards they fit my Gen1 well,if I had to do it over I think I would go for a big natural color IMS tank(so you can see your fuel level)and the HT skid plate,the tank really protects and you get extra gas,but I'm still very happy with my HT stuff.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #4431
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,358
PD Nerf Bars with highway pegs and skid plate

Quote:
Thanks,
Asa
I use these
http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/PDNerf-KLR650A.aspx
and got it as a package deal with a skid plate.
They don't have the skid plate I bought as they upgraded to this
http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/KL...kid_Plate.aspx

I had a get off (low sided) last year at Laurel Fork and broke my leg.
The PDNerf bars did the job protecting my plastic, radiator and engine.
The highway pegs also did their job, but got bent in the process.
I only had to replace the highway pegs and I was good to go.
I'm pleased with the Happy Trails stuff.
See if you can get them to give you a package deal.

And I don't believe this provides enough protection in my opinion (especially for the plastics as it provides none)
http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650A/E...l-KLR650A.aspx
I would suggest the PDNerf bars over this.

EDIT: Here is the older skid plate that I got with my package deal http://www.happy-trail.com/KAW-KLR65...te-KLR650.aspx
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #4432
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
Thanks,
Asa
PD nerfs, engine guard/highway pegs, skid plate; Generation 1. Effective protection in a crash, in my experience. Accepting the fact these may be SACRIFICIAL components, giving their all to protect radiator/tank/plastics, HT may offer some price consideration for replacement parts.

Nerf bags (extra-cost accessory) work very well; handy and accessible for on-board hardware, or could be stuffed with clothing, etc., for a trip.

Highway pegs? To each his own; I'm not a particular fan, feel some vigilance and reaction time may be lost while using the footrests. However, they enable me to fit in when I ride with my Harley friends!

HT stands behind its products, provides excellent customer support. And, produces abominable printed/illustrated instructions, unfortunately!

If you go PD nerfs on a Generation 1; installation tip: Insert upper bolt for LEFT nerf from RIGHT side of frame; then, you need only remove one 10 mm nut to fold the nerf away from the radiator cap for access.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #4433
8lives
Dharma Bum

Ya last 500 mile day I did I used the highway pegs allows a person to change position,but otherwise the pegs are usually folded.Good idea on the nut on the radiator side.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #4434
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
And, produces abominable printed/illustrated instructions, unfortunately!
They must be improving this! I recently purchased the new skid plate from them, http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/KL...kid_Plate.aspx, the first HT made product I've bought. The instructions were very clear, detailed and had good pictures with them.

I cannot comment on the older skid plate designs, but the new one is GREAT. It's beefy, looks good, and clean. Lots of protection for the water pump, doo-adjustment port, etc. I am really happy with it.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #4435
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
As said before a nice Mosfet R/R will even things out very nice.

I believe I'll go this route (pouring yet more money into my cheap dualsport scoot ;-} )

Any suggestion for a close to plug and play unit?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #4436
8lives
Dharma Bum

My skid plate is older version and I was gonna notch it for the Doo,but its easy enough to take it off when I do an oil change and Doo adjustment,gives me a chance to check stuff out under the bike,4 fasteners and its off.I hear all kinds of stuff banging the skid plate when Im off reading and glad it's there.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #4437
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
They must be improving this! I recently purchased the new skid plate from them, http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/KL...kid_Plate.aspx, the first HT made product I've bought. The instructions were very clear, detailed and had good pictures with them.
Good news; glad to know of it!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #4438
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,964
I've got the Happy Trails PD nerf bars. I don't think the protection can be beat, but the need to loosen and fold out the left side to access the radiator cap bugs me. Mine don't fit exactly right, never did from new, and must be pulled, pushed, and cussed at to get them on.

I'm wondering if anyone has had theirs modified by a welder to allow access to the radiator cap without loosening and moving the left side?

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #4439
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
I've got the Happy Trails PD nerf bars. I don't think the protection can be beat, but the need to loosen and fold out the left side to access the radiator cap bugs me. Mine don't fit exactly right, never did from new, and must be pulled, pushed, and cussed at to get them on.

I'm wondering if anyone has had theirs modified by a welder to allow access to the radiator cap without loosening and moving the left side?
No, but . . . the trick of inserting the left nerf bolt from the RIGHT side of the frame permits easily folding the nerf away, for radiator cap access, after removing only a 10 mm nut. With the nut removed, I find the nerf clear to fold away outward; YMMV!

Left-side nerf, attached at two points:

Upper attachment, 10 mm nut on bolt inserted from right (radiator) side; radiator cap shown at right (incidentally, fastener used also for frame ground of headlight relay harness):

Lower attachment; nerf, when freed from the surly bonds of the 10 mm nut shown above, folds outward, for radiator cap access:

XDragRacer screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 08:49 AM
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #4440
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,691
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I believe I'll go this route (pouring yet more money into my cheap dualsport scoot ;-} )

Any suggestion for a close to plug and play unit?
Yup... Jack at Roadstercycle!!! Helluva guy, if your having probs just call him and he'll do a tech session from where ever he is. (Including on vacation! )
Here's the link:

http://roadstercycle.com/

Put one in 25-30,000mi ago and have been EXTREMELY pleased.

Peace,
Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote