User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #4441
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,439
Wing 3.0

When I shipped the windshield back to Parabellum I also cut a piece of old shelving and started hitting it with a hammer. Yesterday I received the PayPal refund for the Parabellum and today I took a test ride of Wing version 3.0.

For me the fairing without a windshield can still generate some turbulent wind. This is as quiet as standing.

You'll notice that it hangs over the front to catch the air coming up the fairing and it curves to about level.

I should have a 2-thousand-plus mile test soon.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #4442
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Grinnin

Interesting looking unit. Where does all the air go? can you feel it on your chest?
I have am MRA vario shield on a r1150r and it has the wind channeling effect,-it sends the air over my head.
Nice job for a guy banging on a shelf with a hammer!
I've got a tall shield on my '06, and take it off in the warm weather to cut down on the turbulence, but, as you say it's not completely quiet.

JIm

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #4443
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I believe I'll go this route (pouring yet more money into my cheap dualsport scoot ;-} )

Any suggestion for a close to plug and play unit?
www.easternbeaver.com makes adding a Mosfet about as plug n play as you can get. Mosfets are found all over ebay. I have 2010 BMW S1000rr on mine I picked up for $50.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #4444
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
www.easternbeaver.com makes adding a Mosfet about as plug n play as you can get. Mosfets are found all over ebay. I have 2010 BMW S1000rr on mine I picked up for $50.

How about one of these along with one of these? Maybe a mod project for next winter.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #4445
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
Where does all the air go? can you feel it on your chest?
Definitely feel it on my chest. The pressure on my chest doesn't feel different from riding with nothing mounted on the fairing. I'm used to that. I've tried 5 windshields on 4 bikes, but all have made helmet turbulence. I hope to get out today to get photos with actual focus to replace the ones above.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #4446
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
thanks, gents -- new MOSFET R/R is on the way . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #4447
dreccles
V Rider

Oddometer: 118
Best mod for the money....

A K&N Filter and a Stage 1 DynoJet kit change the bike completely! :-)
Lot's more power across the entire rev range and Easy wheelies!

I found that aftermarket pipes did little, the pipe even 'gutted' the low end power for an HP or two at the top-end... not worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascoMerlin View Post
When you put your new pipe on did you re-jet the carb? Has anyone for that fact? Does it make a big difference or can you do damage if you don't?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #4448
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreccles View Post

I found that aftermarket pipes did little, the pipe even 'gutted' the low end power for an HP or two at the top-end... not worth it to me.

those k&n filters are worthless on the klr. the way the metal frame is it blockes more air than the uni or no-toil. pluss the thin material doesn't trap enough dirt. A thick properly oiled foam filter is the best way to go.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #4449
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreccles View Post
Er...no.

You do get a bit more power down low but peak horsepower is affected very, very little.

from http://www.patmanracing.com/klrdyno.htm

Richening up the mix a bit at the lower end makes a positive change to the rideability of the bike, I think, but I don't think the Dynojet kit is the best way to accomplish it.

You will definitely say "adios" to your gas milage using that kit.

Turning out the mixture screw and shimming the needle is by far a cheaper and better way to go, I reckon.

EDIT: I should specify that this was from a Gen 1 (pre-2008) KLR. Not sure how much the later motors have changed...

CA Stu screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 03:29 PM
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #4450
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Er...no.

You do get a bit more power down low but peak horsepower is affected very, very little.

from http://www.patmanracing.com/klrdyno.htm

Richening up the mix a bit at the lower end makes a positive change to the rideability of the bike, I think, but I don't think the Dynojet kit is the best way to accomplish it.

You will definitely say "adios" to your gas milage using that kit.

Turning out the mixture screw and shimming the needle is by far a cheaper and better way to go, I reckon.
Thanks for the info STU,I'm all about simple and hardware store instead of motorcycle store mods,and Im cheap and like my fuel mileage to stay good.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #4451
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
There are a million and one things you can do to a KLR. IMO, it's the most MOD-able, FARKLE-able and versatile bike ever.

Haven't even had my bike license for a full year and I know the bike inside and out (to a degree) because it is so easy. You can spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars modifying it, but to me... if it ROLLS and gets from A to B, it's FINE.

I just add things that make it more comfortable for me. None of these things we talk about are ever a MUST. I have a K&N air filter and I'm gonna stick with it. Why? cause I don't care enough to change it. It's a KLR. It can gobble dirt

I think it's nice to make your bike your own, but I think we kinda get sucked in to changing everything. Gotta step back sometimes to see if it's actually worth messing with.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4452
8lives
Runnin on wonder

After doing a complete tear down and rebuild on a 1981 XS650 which included makeing it a hard tail bobber,fun project,but I bought the KLR to ride and its been great,Mod all you want cause its fun but Im taking a rest from building for now,could change at any moment.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #4453
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 828
Engine mods.

Of all the engine mods I have done, 685 kit, advance exhaust cam,WR muffler, Stage 2 dynojet kit, K@N filter, drilled air box, nothing has helped the top end, but everything has improved the bottom end to a point where I have had to change my riding style.

Not complaining, on the contrary, love the tractorishness, but what will make better top end? Cams, porting? and how much will it effect fuel economy? its bad enough now, but just goes so lovely.

Interested in others experiences

And to add to the oil part, I am running Penrite SIN 10w70 fully synthetic.

innathyzit screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:16 PM
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #4454
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Engine mods.

Of all the engine mods I have done, 685 kit, advance exhaust cam,WR muffler, Stage 2 dynojet kit, K@N filter, drilled air box, nothing has helped the top end, but everything has improved the bottom end to a point where I have had to change my riding style.

Not complaining, on the contrary, love the tractorishness, but what will make better top end? Cams, porting? and how much will it effect fuel economy? its bad enough now, but just goes so lovely.

Interested in others experiences

And to add to the oil part, I am running Penrite SIN 10w70 fully synthetic.
Do tell of your WR muffler mod,I'm interested and all eyes(cause,well I can't hear ya)is NZ New Zealand?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #4455
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Do tell of your WR muffler mod,I'm interested and all eyes(cause,well I can't hear ya)is NZ New Zealand?

Not a lot to tell really, Standard WR 250/450? muffler. Cheap ,relatively easy to bolt on after making a slight "s" shaped mid pipe. Have it mounted on an angle the same angle as the bottom swept up bit of the side cover on a gen 1. Looks good , is thinner so no tyre interference issues. Its a little loud for my liking, but not as loud as a lot of aftermarket pipes. Not that much lighter than the genuine one. Will find a pic somewhere and post it up later.

Yes NZ is New Zealand, I am in Nelson at the top of the South island.

Edit, found some pics.

innathyzit screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 04:02 PM
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote