Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #4471
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Suerte View Post
Here's a decent looking fairing, a long w/ improved lighting. link Owner of that site and co-developer of the fairing is a member of ADV. There is a long thread about the development of the fairing. IIRC, it was designed to fit a lot of different bikes - bracket was fairly universal. Price is much better than the Britanias.
Thanks. I'm surprised with all my searching here and elsewhere I never came across that one. Wish it was a tad deeper so there was a place to add a dash and some power ports, switches etc. You haven't seen any photos of one on a KLR have you? I'm stumped as to which bracket it would need.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #4472
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
You haven't seen any photos of one on a KLR have you? I'm stumped as to which bracket it would need.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=176

I too wish it were a bit deeper. I like it, and it definitely has some serious potential, but I'm still leaning toward the Brittania setup. Curious to hear if anyone else has any other suggestions though.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #4473
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,167
Looking at adding an power outlet to my gen 1 to power my new GPS and am looking for advice from you experienced thumper folks.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #4474
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
Looking at adding an power outlet to my gen 1 to power my new GPS and am looking for advice from you experienced thumper folks.
I litterally JUSt did the same thing. I can help you if you want. What questions do you have?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #4475
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
I litterally JUSt did the same thing. I can help you if you want. What questions do you have?
Are there easy places to plug an outlet in? On my old Connie, there were lots of extra connections.
What did you use for an added dash to mount the socket?
Did you add an inline voltmeter to monitor draw?
Pics?
Thanks
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #4476
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,621
Last night I got rid of the vacuum petcock,fuel resistant gasket and bolts in the hoses,I'll get some plugs today,I like to keep things reversible when I can.
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #4477
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Are there easy places to plug an outlet in? On my old Connie, there were lots of extra connections.
Pics?
Thanks
I will get pics tonight.

So I TEMPORARILY just rip-tied it to my handlebar so I could still use it. I will show you where it goes once I make my dash (in the next day or two). To avoid dicking around with the existing wiring for the lights and all that, I bought wire and went straight to the battery. Once you get alot of gadgets, you'll have to figure something else out but this will work well for now. So, you run the wires straight to the battery, no need for a voltmeter or any of that. It won't draw that much power so all I did to protect the battery in case of a wire shorting out I put a 20 Amp fuze in-line right before it reaches the battery. When you see the pics you'll see how shit simple it is. Just get the - and + wires right the first time so you don't blow the tiny 1Amp fuze inside your GPS charger and you'll be good.

If I wasn't making a whole dash, you could always just get a couple "L" brackets, a tiny little sheet of plastic, drill a hole for the socket, pop it in and use the brackets to mount it inside the fairing somewhere to keep it out of the elements and out of the way on its own little mini dash by itself.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #4478
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Pics?
Thanks
I did mine a little bit different, but same basic idea as Kamikaze.

I ran a thicker gauge wire (like 12 or 14, I think) to a a relay under my fairing. I connected the relay to the city-lights wire and tied that to an Eastern Beaver fuse block (Metri-Pack 280, 3 fuses). I know have 3 switched circuits I can use for whatever I like, underneath a custom dash.

The dash is made up of a Big Cee mini-dash that a friend made and never used, and a couple of pieces of ABS that I cut and heated to bend.

I have a 2amp dual USB power outlet, cigarette lighter outlet, and a volt meter. I am happy with the setup, but I plan to eventually go with a different fairing, and I will likely redo all of it. Not that it doesn't work, but I didn't have the proper tools to get 100% correct crimps, so I will order a pre-made Eastern Beaver 3-circuit solution. This will result in NEARLY the same thing I have, just with properly crimped terminals. I will also replace my cheap voltweter with something like ADVMonster's voltmeter.

Overall, I'm happy with it, it works, and was pretty inexpensive. It holds my phone, pumps tunes back up to an headphone amplifier in my tank bag. I'm just not super happy with the WWW mod (I made it too high, wind protect is perfect, but looks less than stellar) and I'm concerned that the crappy connectors might fail one day. I love the look of the Britannia Phoenix, and decided the KLR is likely to remain my one bike for the forsee-able future.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #4479
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Bike Hauler

Okay, gents. Listen up!

Just kidding. I am going to make a bike hauler on the back of my travel trailer by extending out the frame. Has anyone done this and/or have any pictures? I plan on posting mine up when done but as for now I haven't done much other than wearing out a tape measure.
franklinmanklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #4480
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=176

I too wish it were a bit deeper. I like it, and it definitely has some serious potential, but I'm still leaning toward the Brittania setup. Curious to hear if anyone else has any other suggestions though.
I'm leaning towards it ever so slightly. Looked decent on the bike in the pics (not sure how I missed that pic, went thru most of the thread) but that bike looks like it has KTM or some other type of forks on it. Really like that mount he has with the ignition on top of the triple tree.

I'd still prefer the Phoenix and was going to buy one. Price was $740 I think with one HID and I'd figured I'd go for it, but then it added on like a 12% VAT or someother CAN tax and then with shipping it just got to be too much. I can easily afford it, but I just can't justify it, especially when I thinkt the original XS Twin sold for a good bit less than that. I also asked about getting one with a dash that extended down a little further because I will be running an Acewell instead of the stock instrument cluster and would prefer to mount the Acewell in the dash. The response was many people have done that, all you need to do is add an aluminum bracket. Not the response I was looking for on an $800+ fairing, I don't want to buy and immediately modify...

Also sent a few question on the other one in regards to mounting on the KLR but haven't heard back from them either. Shouldn't be to hard to make a dash, maybe also fiberglass, but still have the depth problem. Maybe I should just try my hand at making my own fairing
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #4481
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
I bought a power outlet at Radio Shack and just connected it to the unused wires under the dash.
There are two wires there. A positive and a negative.
They are bullet connections.
They are used for the "City Lights" if you add that, but you won't.
The power goes on and off with the ignition.
I zip tied the power outlet to the handlebars and put a rubber cover over it when not in use.
Works great.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #4482
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I bought a power outlet at Radio Shack and just connected it to the unused wires under the dash.
They are bullet connections.
They are used for the "City Lights" if you add that, but you won't.
The power goes on and off with the ignition.
I zip tied the power outlet to the handlebars and put a rubber cover over it when not in use.
Works great.
I used Cycle Gear's cig style plug and used the"city lights"wires also,just for phone and camera charging for me.I leave the seat bolts off for easy access to the battery if I need more power like for my tire pump.
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #4483
sc00tertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Does anyone know if those wires exist on Gen 2 KLRs (08 and on)? I want to add an outlet, and that sounds like the perfect setup Rando.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #4484
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinmanklin View Post
Okay, gents. Listen up!

Just kidding. I am going to make a bike hauler on the back of my travel trailer by extending out the frame. Has anyone done this and/or have any pictures? I plan on posting mine up when done but as for now I haven't done much other than wearing out a tape measure.
http://www.motorcycle-touring-the-go...cyclelift.html
franklinmanklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #4485
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00tertrash View Post
Does anyone know if those wires exist on Gen 2 KLRs (08 and on)? I want to add an outlet, and that sounds like the perfect setup Rando.

Thanks
I haven't verified this myself, but I've seen it posted several times that they only exist on the Gen 1 bikes.