User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #4486
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,274
Thumb New muffler. No more tweety

Everyone here knows the KLR has a boat anchor for a muffler and it sounds like a weak terd 4 wheeler going down the road. I grabbed up a Suzuki 'Busa muffler and cut 3" out of it to fit the KLR. Bike runs much better than stock, sounds great and is 3.5 lb.s lighter to boot.

I have been running a ProCircuit T4 exhaust behind an FMF PowerBomb header. That combo makes super lowend and midrange power, but is loud as hell. This new combo is better than stock and has no boomy sound like aftermarket pipes do on the KLR. The best part is that there is no more re-packing!!!

Here is a pic of the stock length, 18.5" can. That thing is a mile long. Ennhuh, not here. Get out the saw!

The cut down version.

I trimmed the fender right at the body line. Looks good and you don't lose much, if any, mud deflection.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #4487
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Everyone here knows the KLR has a boat anchor for a muffler and it sounds like a weak terd 4 wheeler going down the road. I grabbed up a Suzuki 'Busa muffler and cut 3" out of it to fit the KLR. Bike runs much better than stock, sounds great and is 3.5 lb.s lighter to boot.

I have been running a ProCircuit T4 exhaust behind an FMF PowerBomb header. That combo makes super lowend and midrange power, but is loud as hell. This new combo is better than stock and has no boomy sound like aftermarket pipes do on the KLR. The best part is that there is no more re-packing!!!

Here is a pic of the stock length, 18.5" can. That thing is a mile long. Ennhuh, not here. Get out the saw!

The cut down version.

I trimmed the fender right at the body line. Looks good and you don't lose much, if any, mud deflection.

Great idea!What method did you use to reattach whichever end you cut?Rivits?Looks good.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #4488
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Hey scooter just look around in the headlight fairing area and if it exist that's where it is,2 wires that will look as they should be attached to something but aren't.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #4489
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00tertrash View Post
Does anyone know if those wires exist on Gen 2 KLRs (08 and on)? I want to add an outlet, and that sounds like the perfect setup Rando.

Thanks
As far as I know, the City Lights wires do NOT exist on the Gen II bikes.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #4490
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I used Cycle Gear's cig style plug and used the"city lights"wires also,just for phone and camera charging for me.I leave the seat bolts off for easy access to the battery if I need more power like for my tire pump.
Yeah the city lights wires are able to power up and charge phones, GPS, cameras, but will not let you use an electric air pump. The fuse will blow.
The city lights wiring was not meant for higher amperage items. I think the fuse is only 5 amps.
The power outlet I bought at radio shack was just your basic 12V cigarette lighter style with clamps.
You could clamp it direct to the positive and negative terminals on a battery.
I just cut them off and wired direct with no issues at all.
I didn't have to take the seat or gas tank off for that install.
I did run higher guage wires (two sets) from the battery to the front fairing for future use.
MySPOT
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #4491
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Hey how do you like the 800GS?I know it's a KLR thread but just a quick comment!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #4492
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hey how do you like the 800GS?I know it's a KLR thread but just a quick comment!
Love the bike. Totally different than the KLR, but will NEVER give up my KLR!!!
MySPOT
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #4493
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Nuff said Rancho thanks.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #4494
sc00tertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I haven't verified this myself, but I've seen it posted several times that they only exist on the Gen 1 bikes.
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will wire it directly from the battery or off the fuse box.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #4495
Mw650
Bob

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
What kind of light are you using? I'm running stock and I hate it... I need a better set-up without modifying the fairing too much. If I can just switch out the bulb for something brighter...
Definately not just plug and play...... I had to weld a bracket together to be abble to attach the V-star 650 headlight bucket to the stock headlamp brackets

had to do that to be able to use these parts

But the socket is plug n play
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #4496
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Thanks. I'm surprised with all my searching here and elsewhere I never came across that one. Wish it was a tad deeper so there was a place to add a dash and some power ports, switches etc. You haven't seen any photos of one on a KLR have you? I'm stumped as to which bracket it would need.
I never finished the thread that had the bike pics in it, but I never did see it on a KLR - I was definitely looking.

I'll try to find the thread.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #4497
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Suerte View Post
I never finished the thread that had the bike pics in it, but I never did see it on a KLR - I was definitely looking.

I'll try to find the thread.
Another member on the last page linked me here. Give you some idea of what it would look like, but he seems to have done a fork transplant of some sort.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #4498
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,609
Thumb

Quote:
I'm leaning towards it ever so slightly. Looked decent on the bike in the pics (not sure how I missed that pic, went thru most of the thread) but that bike looks like it has KTM or some other type of forks on it. Really like that mount he has with the ignition on top of the triple tree.

I'd still prefer the Phoenix and was going to buy one. Price was $740 I think with one HID and I'd figured I'd go for it, but then it added on like a 12% VAT or someother CAN tax and then with shipping it just got to be too much. I can easily afford it, but I just can't justify it, especially when I thinkt the original XS Twin sold for a good bit less than that. I also asked about getting one with a dash that extended down a little further because I will be running an Acewell instead of the stock instrument cluster and would prefer to mount the Acewell in the dash. The response was many people have done that, all you need to do is add an aluminum bracket. Not the response I was looking for on an $800+ fairing, I don't want to buy and immediately modify...

Also sent a few question on the other one in regards to mounting on the KLR but haven't heard back from them either. Shouldn't be to hard to make a dash, maybe also fiberglass, but still have the depth problem. Maybe I should just try my hand at making my own fairing
You could thro on a Britannia Lynx since your using an Acewell and not the stock cluster... a good bit cheaper I believe. You'd get rid of the fairing subframe as well saving weight and breakage, as well as having lamps that point where you point the forks.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #4499
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Another member on the last page linked me here. Give you some idea of what it would look like, but he seems to have done a fork transplant of some sort.
Just barely found the thread myself. lol. The fairing looks good IMO, but we still don't know much about KLR mounting. I wonder what forks, the guy in the link used?
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #4500
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
Are there easy places to plug an outlet in? On my old Connie, there were lots of extra connections.
What did you use for an added dash to mount the socket?
Did you add an inline voltmeter to monitor draw?
Pics?
Thanks
Devon
You can have my small dash if you want. It already has a cig. lighter installed. I made a big one for my WheatWhacker mod.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote