Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #4576
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
I am doing the t-bob this weekend and am thinking of replacing my hoses as part of the deal. How much work is adding? Does anyone know if there is a specific hose needed for a MC and how much would be a good length?
I installed mine in about an hour. But... I cut my original hose too short (just like they tell you not to) Went to an auto parts store and got another length of hose for ~$1.50. Just regular radiator hose (brought original piece with me to match up the size). That took 15 min of the hour total... It's lasted just over 12,000 miles so far over the winter travels. No issues

Not sure how long replacing all the hoses would take, but I doubt very long...

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #4577
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
If you have your cig plug charging cord and a couple of jump wires you can always tap into your battery directly to make a call in a pinch,I leave my seat bolts of for easy access on the road in a emergency.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #4578
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
On my bike i already had the quick-connect lead for the battery tender. Battery tender sells a cig lighter adapter for the battery tender lead for like 8 bucks. It doesnt get much easier than that.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #4579
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
I'm changing to a different soft luggage system, and now the stock position rear turn signals are a bit too far forward and will interfere a bit. I've been circling the device in the garage and have come up with an option or two for relocating them further back, but was wondering what others who may have done this have come up with?

(stock turn signals mounted on the stock rear assembly, for reference)

Try this, They are aftermarket ones to suit a wr I think. They have a small off centre bolt hole on the end of the stalk. They mount on using the bolts that holds the top of the rack on. Just get a slightly longer bolt and a nyloc nut and hang them on. 4 or 5 years of crashes and haven't broken one yet. very easy mod.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #4580
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
On my bike i already had the quick-connect lead for the battery tender. Battery tender sells a cig lighter adapter for the battery tender lead for like 8 bucks. It doesnt get much easier than that.
I like that,my kids R6 has the cord for a tender,I'll set him up so he can charge off that cord,Im a stubborn prick and usually yank tender cords off batteries cause I ride bikes instead of plugging them into a socket on the wall.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #4581
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,183
Alright, I installed a thermo-bob on Saturday including a flush of the system as far as I could get and replaced it with almost 64 oz of Engine ice and now my bike seems to running hotter than ever. Ideas? I need an oil change, which is set for this week and my overflow tank is at full and there are no performance issues. My concern is that I have a 5 day off-road ride in NW Colorado in some remote high-desert areas.
Ideas?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #4582
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
thermo bob isn't designed to make the bike run cooler, but hotter at a more constant temp. You should notice faster warm up times and a more constant reading on your temp gauge.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #4583
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
thermo bob isn't designed to make the bike run cooler, but hotter at a more constant temp. You should notice faster warm up times and a more constant reading on your temp gauge.
I guess I am seeing that, it just likes to ride between just over 1/2 to sometimes over 3/4 at lights. Sounds normal?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #4584
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
Quote:
I guess I am seeing that, it just likes to ride between just over 1/2 to sometimes over 3/4 at lights. Sounds normal?
Every year, when the weather warms up , this issue comes up.

It's normal. If the needle hits the red, that's not normal.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #4585
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
i don't have one, so i can't give you a firm answer on what its supposed to show. I would assume that nothing is going to make the temp run at the same temp all the time.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #4586
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i don't have one, so i can't give you a firm answer on what its supposed to show. I would assume that nothing is going to make the temp run at the same temp all the time.
+1... Thermostat is hotter with TB. Will run warmer at speed and even warmer at lights. I don't have a gauge but a vapor and might climb to 225 at a long light in 100 degree weather.... No issues under 250/260.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #4587
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Every year, when the weather warms up , this issue comes up.

It's normal. If the needle hits the red, that's not normal.
If temps are over 110F and I'm running over 80mph I can get the needle just touching the redzone. Its never puked so I don't worry about it.
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #4588
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Suspension upgrade

I have a question for you klr nuts, I'm considering the Moab shock and fork springs, I'm just wondering if anyone is running the Moab adventure shock??
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #4589
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
I have a question for you klr nuts, I'm considering the Moab shock and fork springs, I'm just wondering if anyone is running the Moab adventure shock??
Excellent product and fantastic service. I talked with Rick at length about what I wanted, raising dogbones and an extra inch of travel. I think it is the best money spent on the KLR. If you can afford to do the mod you won't ever want to go back to the stock set up.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #4590
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
I have run the full Moab for about 40K miles. It has been back for service and upgrades (as recommended) as Rick continues to improve his product. I have no expereince with the Adventure model which does not have the damping adjustment. I personally use the damping adjustment (and pre-load) depending upon the road types and my load and consider it essential for a good ride and handling.

If you have not had or ridden with a decent damping system and not been into adjusting it, you might not be any the wiser. It is the damping system and its adjustment that I consider that makes the Moab shock a real standout. The extra money is worth it.

Anyone can add a differently rated spring, but the damping ingredients and guts is where the performance, technology and money is.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 06:13 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote