Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #4621
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
I just got a 50.00$ gift card for Cycle Gear,it's tool time.A valve stem fishing tool has been on my list,it should enhance tire change/repairs
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #4622
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
By soldering the conductor and terminal a complete, permanent and strong connection is made,
Agreed. I solder most (but not all) of my crimp terminals. About 80% or more are crimped and soldered.

It sounded like OKlr didn't use terminals/connectors at all. Some PO soldered many connections (removing "bullet" connectors) on my '75 750 and it was a bear to sort out when I got it. I got it as a runner but it would pop the main fuse about every 5 minutes.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #4623
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmnctry View Post
Does anyone carry an spare/extra spark plug for these beasts?? I have not had a problem but just got to thinking about it after a recent Run Roh w/ another machine.
Plugs tend to keep on ticking in these bikes. I changed mine after 35,000 miles. The old one was still working; the gap had opened up a bit is all. Still, I carry a spare plug, mostly for karmic prophylaxis. I keep it in a plug caddy so it won't get beat up. If I ever do need it, I don't want to have to pry the electrode off the tip.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #4624
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I just got a 50.00$ gift card for Cycle Gear,it's tool time.A valve stem fishing tool has been on my list,it should enhance tire change/repairs
I carry one, mostly for karmic prophylaxis. I think I have used it once. Or, to be more precise, I loaned it to a buddy who was having trouble with his stem. I have pretty good luck with them popping right in, if not on the first try, then for sure when I lift up the back bead like the guy in the tire mounting video. Still, there will always be days when nothing goes right.

Be sure to get the kind that threads inside the stem. The ones they sell at swap meets that go over the stem are useless: they will not fit through the hole in the rim unless you are installing a tube on a tubeless rim.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #4625
Dell_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yep.... moose sells something similar for like $5.
Yup.

I keep a spare in the Moose case in my top case.
Dell_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #4626
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
I carry one, mostly for karmic prophylaxis. I think I have used it once. Or, to be more precise, I loaned it to a buddy who was having trouble with his stem. I have pretty good luck with them popping right in, if not on the first try, then for sure when I lift up the back bead like the guy in the tire mounting video. Still, there will always be days when nothing goes right.

Be sure to get the kind that threads inside the stem. The ones they sell at swap meets that go over the stem are useless: they will not fit through the hole in the rim unless you are installing a tube on a tubeless rim.
Ya I actually don't have to much trouble with stems either,baby powder seems to help and I get it at the DollarTree for well a Dollar
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #4627
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
What and where did you get those?
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #4628
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 271
Petcock time.

I have finally had enough of the sh!ty stock petcock. It temporarily stranded me 5x on my way home from work yesterday and that is only a 25mile journey. I have already opened it up and removed the oring from the diaphragm so it wouldnt stop the flow of fuel for what ever reason it is that they do that, but it still does it when I get down to the last gallon. I have checked the operation with a vacuum pump and gauge, I have checked that I had vacuum to the diaphragm, I have checked for crud, I have rebuilt the whole Fing thing with new parts, I have had it apart 4 times, why? because it SHOULD work. Vacuum petcocks work in the same configuration as on the KLR all over the world ALL DAY EVERY DAY! My next step is to gut the diaphragm leaving just the edge as a gasket and seal the vacuum nipple and vacuum line. Surely as a straight pass through petcock it will work. Maybe i ought to just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket petcock to be safe.
While Im at it I want to increase the height of my main fuel tube to increase the range of my reserve. Does anyone know how tall it should be to leave a full gallon of gas in the tank for reserve?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #4629
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
I have finally had enough of the sh!ty stock petcock. It temporarily stranded me 5x on my way home from work yesterday and that is only a 25mile journey. I have already opened it up and removed the oring from the diaphragm so it wouldnt stop the flow of fuel for what ever reason it is that they do that, but it still does it when I get down to the last gallon. I have checked the operation with a vacuum pump and gauge, I have checked that I had vacuum to the diaphragm, I have checked for crud, I have rebuilt the whole Fing thing with new parts, I have had it apart 4 times, why? because it SHOULD work. Vacuum petcocks work in the same configuration as on the KLR all over the world ALL DAY EVERY DAY! My next step is to gut the diaphragm leaving just the edge as a gasket and seal the vacuum nipple and vacuum line. Surely as a straight pass through petcock it will work. Maybe i ought to just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket petcock to be safe.
While Im at it I want to increase the height of my main fuel tube to increase the range of my reserve. Does anyone know how tall it should be to leave a full gallon of gas in the tank for reserve?
I just went and got some gas resistant gasket material,took the tank off the bike,took the 4 screws out of the back of the petcock,took out spring and diaphragm,cut gasket to fit,Drilled 4 holes in the gasket,bolted it back together,cut some of the old vacuum hose stuck a small bolt in 1 end of each plugged carb plugged petcock and its done.Don't tell anyone else but it was about 2.00$ in parts and about a half an hour,or you could do the Raptor petcock,oh and make a note to turn fuel off when motor not drinking fuel.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #4630
afk40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
hi guys/ im reading Doohickey all th etime,,, what is it, an do i need to get it done, i have a c5 wi 17k miles on it, whats the pros an cons of having it done an not... sayin that i really dont know what it is, cheers
afk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #4631
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
I miss ordered and got a 3 1/2" wide front tire has anyone tried to fit it on?
It's a Kenda 270 that is what's on there now but 3"

TOM

fat fingered on a droid
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #4632
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I just went and got some gas resistant gasket material,took the tank off the bike,took the 4 screws out of the back of the petcock,took out spring and diaphragm,cut gasket to fit,Drilled 4 holes in the gasket,bolted it back together,cut some of the old vacuum hose stuck a small bolt in 1 end of each plugged carb plugged petcock and its done.Don't tell anyone else but it was about 2.00$ in parts and about a half an hour,or you could do the Raptor petcock,oh and make a note to turn fuel off when motor not drinking fuel.
I'd suggest using a Nitrile based rubber for the gasket. Its not affected by our stupid Ethanol laced fuels. Jeffsaline over at .net sells a nice kit for $20.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #4633
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I'd suggest using a Nitrile based rubber for the gasket. Its not affected by our stupid Ethanol laced fuels. Jeffsaline over at .net sells a nice kit for $20.
Thanks good info.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #4634
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post

TOM
Do you mean, "3.25 X 21?" No problem! Got 'em on both KLR650 and KLR250.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #4635
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post

TOM

fat fingered on a droid
Should fit like it belongs there!