Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #4666
afk40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
hi guys,, does anyone know anyone in the uk preferably scotland that would me a more comfortable seat using my C5 base... thanks
afk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #4667
afk40
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post

This guy is Balloonman, met him in Columbia MO. I think this is the coolest KLR I've ever seen.
C`mon,, yer at the kidding,, tae me thats one ugly bike.. who in their right mind wid run around on that... Naaaa thats not fur me
Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #4668
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Picture of a useless hunk of metal. Had a purpose back in the day when you used to kickstart your bike, now it is just something to break, leave you stranded or throw a broken spring into your valve train. Plus the sucker is noisy.
Remove at your convenience!

I was glad that I had it when I dropped my bike in the river on the right side and the exhaust filled with water. It keeps the exhaust valve open while cranking and allows the cyclider to purge the water out. It looked like a garden hose sprayer for a while. No need to pull the plug. I am not sure if water entered the cylinder. Other than that, I would agree.
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #4669
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
I was glad that I had it when I dropped my bike in the river on the right side and the exhaust filled with water. It keeps the exhaust valve open while cranking and allows the cyclider to purge the water out. It looked like a garden hose sprayer for a while. No need to pull the plug. I am not sure if water entered the cylinder. Other than that, I would agree.
Good point, DesertDuster; the KACR may be a useful countermeasure to HYDROSTATIC LOCK, as when liquid enters the cylinder.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #4670
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
I realize this topic has been done to death on here but am in need of help and i've slogged through hundreds of pages looking for a simple answer.
I'm riding an 09 with the top of the airbox drilled out with 5 - 1'' holes, I have a two brothers slip on with the P2 tip. I bought a dynojet kit and followed all instructions for the stage 2 kit and the bike ran like crap, convinced i was way overfueling i went down to the stage one settings and things definately got way better the bike is now rideable at least and seems to have pretty good power all through the range (i think i may have lost a little top end but I did't buy a klr for wide open speed anyway so no biggie)

I still seem to have an excesive amount of popping on decel and was wondering what you guys would suggest to try to remedy this as in smaller jet again? or shim under needle? I've been thinking about going back to the stock jet and needle and just doing the .22 cent shim mod to give it a try. maybe I should just stop whining and put up with the popping and banging lol

any help would be appreciated

cheers.

frustratedinchamissbay
just a dumb question but you arn't running higher octane fuel in it are you? unburned fuel could be entering the exhaust then igniting late.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #4671
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554

earlier in the week I installed the the gen 1 rad guard sent to me by John at JNS for testing here in south Florida on my 04....

man what a nice piece of work...

it is still in the raw...no powder coat. those little circles are not really there between the intersections of the grid...its an optical illusion that happens in person too.
installation was very simple. i removed my seat and tank because i have the happy trails rad guard on this bike....but i don't think you would have to if you don't have one. though i may be mistaken.
installing the guard took all of 5 min. fit was good as soon as i realized i needed to bend the little tab that held the old crappy mesh guard out of the way...then the JNS unit went right on and the holes lined up. the long hex head bolt is included with a flat washer..which i did not use on account of my other rad guard. also included was a small tube of red locktight.
it fits fine with my tubular rad guard and IMS tank. please ignore the foam insulation...it is there to seal the air gap with the IMS tank for a bit better cooling efficiency when the fan is on. also, i do not run with the IMS tank front mounts installed...i think they are unnecessary and slow down trailsdie repairs.

and here she is all buttoned back up....

i like the look of it...i think i like it in natural finish too.... it is very stout and should do a fantastic job of protecting the radiator from frontal impacts.

i did not get a chance to ride today. as soon as i can i will update with a ride report and let you know if there is any effect on cooling.
my 04 runs in spec even on the hottest days...so i should notice any negative impact on cooling.

update:
today i rode in traffic at 86F and 61% humidity. no increse in engine temp according to the stock guage...then upon my return home I left the bike to idle at 1400rpm until the fan cycled on and then for about 6 min more...the needle stayed steady just right of center well below the red.
i think i will be getting one of these for all my klr's

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #4672
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
Good point, pulling the KACR off cleaned up my idle with the hot cams and big carb.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #4673
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
2008-2013 Trax SW Motech side boxes and racks for sale in flea market...

I just listed for sale in the flea market a pair of side bags and racks in near new condition for $800...Trax 37 liter boxes and mounting racks..great deal...in San Diego ...thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #4674
afk40
Adventurer

am jist about ready to fit a 15/43 sprocks,, anyone had these.. does it give any more low down power... as right now I have to wind ma bike up in every gear to get it to 85mph.. am startin tae think theres as a resriction in the exhaust as ma last c5 would do 100mph no sweat..
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #4675
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk40 View Post
am jist about ready to fit a 15/43 sprocks,, anyone had these.. does it give any more low down power... as right now I have to wind ma bike up in every gear to get it to 85mph.. am startin tae think theres as a resriction in the exhaust as ma last c5 would do 100mph no sweat..
What sprockets are you running right now? 15-43 is stock on my 03', jumping up to a 16 on the front drops the rpm around 500 and cruises comfortably around 4500rpm at 60mph. If your trying to run the KLR at 100mph your on the wrong bike!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #4676
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk40 View Post
15/43 is stock gearing on the A series. I think it is just about perfect for most uses. I tried 16/43 and didn't like it: slow off the line, no top-gear roll-on, and no improvement in mileage. Slightly calmer running at freeway speed was not enough to justify the down side. What gearing comes stock on the C-series?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #4677
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
What sprockets are you running right now? 15-43 is stock on my 03', jumping up to a 16 on the front drops the rpm around 500 and cruises comfortably around 4500rpm at 60mph. If your trying to run the KLR at 100mph your on the wrong bike!
Amen on this one, why would you need to go that fast on a KLR, you are definitely on the wrong bike.
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #4678
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

+1. 15/43 is stock. I live in rural America and run a 14T CS because I rarely need to travel for distance over 65mph and like the lower 1st for putting through the rougher stuff. If I did a lot of freeway I might move to a 16T but I guarantee I would not like it off road...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #4679
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,682
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
+1. 15/43 is stock. I live in rural America and run a 14T CS because I rarely need to travel for distance over 65mph and like the lower 1st for putting through the rougher stuff. If I did a lot of freeway I might move to a 16T but I guarantee I would not like it off road...
I run the 16 tooth on my '09 and don't care for it off road although it does work for mild stuff , this bike is primarily my commuter right now. I run a 14 tooth on my '90 and love it off road, does fine at 65mph and under for shorter distances on the road. I recently put the 15 tooth back on it due to an upcoming ride I'm going to do with it and after yesterday I can say I much prefer the 14 tooth in the technical riding. Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #4680
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

. I wanna try a 16 or possibly a 17 just for kicks. I think when mountain riding is over this year I will give it a shot...