Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #4681
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
. I wanna try a 16 or possibly a 17 just for kicks. I think when mountain riding is over this year I will give it a shot...

Everybody has to figure it out for themselves. There is some natural variation in power output among bikes. The more powerful examples will probably pull the taller gear more happily.

What I did on my last chain and sprocket change is switch to 16/45, just a tad taller than stock. (16/46 is almost identical to stock, but 46t sprockets are hard to come by, unless you are in Australia.) With this setup, a drop to 14t on the chainwheel gives nice low gearing for offroad.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #4682
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 271
free petcock fix

I have been screwing around with the petcock for long enough that I finally said "That's it, this has been going on long enough!".
I have tested and adjusted and removed orings to no avail. This weekend I took the petcock out and removed the diaphram completely. I replaced the parts with a piece of gasket material, sealed up the hose and nipple and now she flows gas like she is supposed to.
While I was in there I cut the main fuel tube and added a bit of gas line to raise it 3/4" in the tank. I dont know how much extra fuel that adds to my reserve but all I needed was an extra 15 miles to feel comfortable. I think between that and removing the mouse nest from the airbox (I really should clean the filter more often), I have my extra reserve range.

Those make shift clamps were later removed when the assembly wouldnt fit into the tank. The hose isnt coming off without an act of violence. I did have to "clearance" the petcock opening some to get the extension in.

Also, dont try to use the gutted vacuum diaphram as a gasket. it will leak and if your like me, you will be late for work.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #4683
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
I have been screwing around with the petcock for long enough that I finally said "That's it, this has been going on long enough!".
I have tested and adjusted and removed orings to no avail. This weekend I took the petcock out and removed the diaphram completely. I replaced the parts with a piece of gasket material, sealed up the hose and nipple and now she flows gas like she is supposed to.
While I was in there I cut the main fuel tube and added a bit of gas line to raise it 3/4" in the tank. I dont know how much extra fuel that adds to my reserve but all I needed was an extra 15 miles to feel comfortable. I think between that and removing the mouse nest from the airbox (I really should clean the filter more often), I have my extra reserve range.

Those make shift clamps were later removed when the assembly wouldnt fit into the tank. The hose isnt coming off without an act of violence. I did have to "clearance" the petcock opening some to get the extension in.

Also, dont try to use the gutted vacuum diaphram as a gasket. it will leak and if your like me, you will be late for work.
I just gutted mine and went with gas resistant gasket material,so far so good no leaks!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #4684
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,619
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
earlier in the week I installed the the gen 1 rad guard sent to me by John at JNS for testing here in south Florida on my 04....

man what a nice piece of work...

it is still in the raw...no powder coat. those little circles are not really there between the intersections of the grid...its an optical illusion that happens in person too.
installation was very simple. i removed my seat and tank because i have the happy trails rad guard on this bike....but i don't think you would have to if you don't have one. though i may be mistaken.
installing the guard took all of 5 min. fit was good as soon as i realized i needed to bend the little tab that held the old crappy mesh guard out of the way...then the JNS unit went right on and the holes lined up. the long hex head bolt is included with a flat washer..which i did not use on account of my other rad guard. also included was a small tube of red locktight.
it fits fine with my tubular rad guard and IMS tank. please ignore the foam insulation...it is there to seal the air gap with the IMS tank for a bit better cooling efficiency when the fan is on. also, i do not run with the IMS tank front mounts installed...i think they are unnecessary and slow down trailsdie repairs.

and here she is all buttoned back up....

i like the look of it...i think i like it in natural finish too.... it is very stout and should do a fantastic job of protecting the radiator from frontal impacts.

i did not get a chance to ride today. as soon as i can i will update with a ride report and let you know if there is any effect on cooling.
my 04 runs in spec even on the hottest days...so i should notice any negative impact on cooling.

update:
today i rode in traffic at 86F and 61% humidity. no increse in engine temp according to the stock guage...then upon my return home I left the bike to idle at 1400rpm until the fan cycled on and then for about 6 min more...the needle stayed steady just right of center well below the red.
i think i will be getting one of these for all my klr's
Very nice piece of work! I was looking for one last year when I put the new Myler Supercool Rad on my bike. I think I'll pick one up asap! Thanx for posting this up.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #4685
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446

Walking around my KLR last week I noticed some front tire damage on my KLR... Michelin T63 with less than 2K kms on it. But a lot of that mileage was on gravel logging roads that are known to shred tires. I had hoped to run this tire until the end of the year, but instead I ordered a replacement that should be here today.

I liked the T63 so far so I ordered a 2nd one. I'll see how long that one lasts.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #4686
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
its a shame you had to replace a tire with so much tread left.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #4687
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Throw a KLX needle in the thing, clip on about the second notch and a 140 or 142 main, then go like hell!
I ordered the klx kit from eagle mike, I haven't seen the needle yet so was curious how many notches it has? 2nd notch from which end?
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #4688
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
I ordered the klx kit from eagle mike, I haven't seen the needle yet so was curious how many notches it has? 2nd notch from which end?
eagle mike's kit comes with the clip already installed on the "2nd" notch. i believe it's 2nd from the end though. (the end that's away from the needle's point)
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #4689
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
eagle mike's kit comes with the clip already installed on the "2nd" notch. i believe it's 2nd from the end though. (the end that's away from the needle's point)
Great thanks. I have a pile of work to do on my baby this weekend
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #4690
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
i've done the .22 mod to my bike and it runs great with a modified factory exhaust and no toil filter. If i do the klx kit from eagle mikes and remove the snorkel will it be a problem that my slide is already drilled, or do you drill it when you do the klx needle also?
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #4691
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Drilling the slide is just a personal preference. No performance difference, just quicker throttle response. Works just fine with the KLX kit.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #4692
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post

Walking around my KLR last week I noticed some front tire damage on my KLR... Michelin T63 with less than 2K kms on it. But a lot of that mileage was on gravel logging roads that are known to shred tires. I had hoped to run this tire until the end of the year, but instead I ordered a replacement that should be here today.

I liked the T63 so far so I ordered a 2nd one. I'll see how long that one lasts.
It would help if you used a tire tube instead of stuffing the tire with marshmallows.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #4693
Farkle_Adict
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
It would help if you used a tire tube instead of stuffing the tire with marshmallows.

I think it is a great idea. Tasty snacks while changing a flat.
Farkle_Adict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #4694
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
its a shame you had to replace a tire with so much tread left.
Yup. I'm Bummed. But I'd rather damage stuff because I'm using it than have it be perfect and sitting in my driveway.

Hopefully the replacement lasts longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post

Turned out to be a hard sharp bit of plastic that was deep in the tire.

Oh well. New tire installed. I'd rather spend $100 now than thousands later including some hospital bills...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #4695
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 714
Nice looking ride man! The black & white works great. That top box is unique. You get thirsty much?
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote